• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I hope to one day see this change

Curtis C

2011-12-05_08-17-32_709.jpg

I know the state law, but its EKU's campus, the place i work. if i knew i could conceal and get away with it i would.

09jisaac

Personally I don't mind it one bit. Secondhand smoke is harmful to those that don't get worse from normal city air. We can only hope that one of these days people stop smoking all together, then we would be a safer society.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Personally I don't mind it one bit. Secondhand smoke is harmful to those that don't get worse from normal city air. We can only hope that one of these days people stop smoking all together, then we would be a safer society.

True, yet I am one of those folks who think you should be able to smoke if you want to. Everyone is well aware of the dangers, if they want to, then let them smoke. Telling someone not to smoke is like telling me not to carry my gun. I don't smoke BTW.

09jisaac

True, yet I am one of those folks who think you should be able to smoke if you want to. Everyone is well aware of the dangers, if they want to, then let them smoke. Telling someone not to smoke is like telling me not to carry my gun. I don't smoke BTW.

Me neither, but my mother does and my uncle does. Smoking don't bother me one bit. I did mention that city air is worse anyways.

09jisaac

It is a question of liberty. If tobacco is so bad, make it illegal. If its legal the government has no business telling us where we can use it. Some people say exactly the same thing about guns. Of course, the government has had great success protecting us from the dangers of illegal drugs.

Government? I thought according to Kentucky law higher learning can decide for themselves to not allow firearms on their property.

And their reasoning is sound. If there are no guns on campus then their can't be any gun violence on campus. The just fail to realize that if anyone wishes to break the law they won't say "Nope, can't do this, there is a sign that says I can't have a gun."

bond150

I'll just keep my sidearm in my truck for now when on campus. What they don't know, won't hurt 'em.

bond150

I've read that many times. But everyone insists that a college campus is exempt from that. Either way, it's still in my truck

09jisaac

It is a question of liberty. If tobacco is so bad, make it illegal. If its legal the government has no business telling us where we can use it. Some people say exactly the same thing about guns. Of course, the government has had great success protecting us from the dangers of illegal drugs.

Is that referring to guns or to tobacco? I was pointing out that in KY collages have the right to choose for themselves if they allow firearms on campus or not.

09jisaac

It is referring to the post that I quoted. My quote of your original post (about tobacco, post #3) and my post can be seen in post #6 of this thread. It was only later, in post #8, that you made the statement (still unsubstantiated) that colleges can prohibit guns by statute. My question (in post #10 and still unanswered) to you is where is that statute? In post #13 you attempted to substantiate your claim by quoting a statue that say says it does not apply to colleges and you seemed to think that somehow that settled the matter when, in fact, it said exactly the opposite of what you said in Post #8. It is all very confusing. You could clear up all the confusion if you just tell us what statute gives colleges the authority to prohibit firearms on ther campus. You said there was one(in post #8 and again in #18), where/what is that statute?

Your confusion has nothing to do with me. You're reading too much into the situation. (Most) Laws in the US, and kentucky, are things you cannot do. So until something is illegal then it is perfectly legal. KRS 527.070 is the "Unlawful possession of a firearm on school property" and it specifically exempts higher learning from those rules. MEANING they can make their own rules governing firearms on their premise.

Curtis C

law says you can keep it in your vehicle. witch is what me, and i know a few others i work with do. off topic but, working one of the last football games one of the campus cops got a little dudley do right on one of the guys i work with over his knife, hunting knife he keeps on his belt, threaten to take him to jail over it. he was the only cop all year to have a problem with it all year.

an interesting side note though, eastern has a gun range on campus because of law enforcement training. they use it 2 or 3 times a week. if there was an actual shooting on campus how many people would just think its them training. you can hear it all over campus.

Last edited:

bond150

I have been over at Stratton building pretty much everyday for 3 years. I've never heard the range. Where is it?

Last edited:

Curtis C

its right behind ashland. i forget the name of it. its part of the McKinney training complex, but the road that goes between ashland and the one room school house, its the building on the left. i'm sure you have herd them training on the road track, sirens going on all day.

09jisaac

You said "according to Ky. law". Where is that law? The statute you cited has nothing at all to do with a college.

WTF? Why in the hell are you being like this? Same place in KY law that it says we can open carry. Probably when I said that anything is legal until it is illegal. And KY law says that it is illegal to carry on school property but that the law doesn't pertain to universities and collages. It never comes out and says "Collages and universities can govern themselves in the field of firearms on their premises." Is that what you want to hear? I have already told you that I haven't found a law that says that KY higher learning cannot make the choice.

If you say that everything in a list is against the rules and don't name something as against the rules then it says that everything not on the list is within the rules until/if it is made against them.

So maybe I need to rephrase what I said. "according to what isn't in KY law". < That make you happy?

flb_78

I believe that 09jisaac and GutShot are saying the same thing.

09jisaac is saying that KY statutes do not ban guns from college and university campuses since they are institutions of higher education.

I think the real argument here should be, Can public colleges ban carry since KY has preemption.