• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why would anyone ever need a gun in Newport News?

DJEEPER

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/newport_news/Lounge-employee-shot-during-robbery
Lounge employee shot during robbery
Employee was shot in the foot

Updated: Monday, 05 Dec 2011, 5:38 PM EST
Published : Monday, 05 Dec 2011, 5:38 PM EST

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) - Newport News police say an employee of Lazy Dayz Lounge was shot in the foot during a December 3 robbery.

Around 7 p.m. officers were called to the business, located at 731 J. Clyde Morris Blvd., after the robbery was reported.

Police say two masked men entered the business using a back door and held customers at gunpoint, while the manager opened a safe.

The men, armed with a shotgun and a handgun, left Lazy Dayz with money and store items. As they were leaving through the back door, the suspects ran into an employee who was in the back cleaning mops. Police say some sort of exchange occurred and the 20-year-old employee was shot in the foot.

The victim was taken to Riverside Regional Medical Center for the non life-threatening injury and released.

Police spokesman Harold Eley told WAVY.com about an hour later two men, matching the description of the robbers from Lazy Dayz, entered the Auto Zone at 11033 Jefferson Avenue. One of the masked men struck a male employee in the back of the head with a shotgun, while the other forced a female employee to open the safe.

The suspect left the store, heading in an unknown direction. The male employee did not need medical attention.

Police ask that you call the Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP, if you know anything about the robberies.

NOW.... even if i were carrying, i do not think that pulling my sidearm and dispatching these two hooligans would have been the best bet in this kind of situation. I would be willing to bet that it would have added fuel to the fire....let alone create a shoot out in a very crowded place with no cover.

I try to brainstorm on a plethora of situations that i might come across in my travels; this has been similar to some. You can pull your gun, pray you can take on 2 before they take you or just lay there, let them do their stuff, and be done with it.

On that note, i very rarely go unarmed just because of situations like this. Too scary and close to home on this one.

hermannr

One caution. If you were to pull your gun...no funny nice stuff...you wait until they do not notice you draw and then you shoot,,,until the threat is neutralized.

There was a guy that entered a mall WA a couple years ago with an AR and started to shoot it up. A cpl holder pulled his gun and told the gunman to "stop, or I'll shoot" The CPL holder got pretty shot up for his efforts. No warnng! The danger is obviously present, you shoot first, ask questions later. A stiuation like this is not one for being nice.

If you catch them off guard, they have to find and identify the threat to their activity before they can return fire, it would give you a lot of time to neutralize them first.

Last edited:

DJEEPER

I have had my experience with giving "warning". i know first hand that it does not work and is a HORRIBLE idea. if you are not going to shoot, you do not draw.

MSC 45ACP

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/newport_news/Lounge-employee-shot-during-robbery

NOW.... even if i were carrying, i do not think that pulling my sidearm and dispatching these two hooligans would have been the best bet in this kind of situation. I would be willing to bet that it would have added fuel to the fire....let alone create a shoot out in a very crowded place with no cover.

I try to brainstorm on a plethora of situations that i might come across in my travels; this has been similar to some. You can pull your gun, pray you can take on 2 before they take you or just lay there, let them do their stuff, and be done with it.

On that note, i very rarely go unarmed just because of situations like this. Too scary and close to home on this one.

+100, DJ...

I would certainly think twice before drawing my pistol in this situation.
If I was close enough to be in their field of fire, I would comply with all demands.
If I wasn't in their field of fire, I would remain invisible and not do anything to draw attention to myself.
No bedside interviews or flowery obituaries for this would-be hero, No Sir!

WAY too close to home here. I just moved to Newport News.

45acpForMe

Quaker Steak & Lube got robbed at gunpoint a week or so ago. I heard from a friend yesterday that he thought they caught that one person so probably not related to these robberies.

If I recognized what was going on alot would depend on whether my children were with me or not and making sure they were safe. If I have to draw fire I will be moving away from my kids first.

Many on this site have said that they wouldn't get involved unless their personal safety was in severe danger but I find it hard to believe I could stand there watching others get shot and not at least try to defend innocents.

I have alot to live for, as do you so careful consideration will be taking place in my brain at light speed if I am ever caught up in such a scenario.

ETA: Its been a busy week in NN

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/newport_news/man-with-gun-robs-newport-news-bank

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/newport_news/dollar-tree-robbed-in-newport-news

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/newport_news/man-charged-with-three-nn-robberies

Last edited:

MSC 45ACP

If BG's have already shown the willingness to shoot, then its another "ball of wax". I'll do what I can to protect the lives of others. If my kids are around, it certainly changes the dynamics of the situation... It depends WHICH of my kids is with me. # 1 and # 3 are quite competent and I would even trust them with my BUG to "cover my six".

Sadly, you also have to think about the possibilities AFTER the SHTF. I wonder what the legal ramifications IF I did give my BUG to my 14 year-old and she was involved with stopping a BG? I don't worry about my oldest, she's an OCer; but what happens if a BG is doing dirty deeds and ends up room temperature? Can a 14 year-old discharge a firearm in self-defense in a public place?

The Wolfhound

Why do we carry?

We carry to protect our lives and those of our loved ones. Will any one dispute this is THE primary reason? If I do not think the BG is planning on shooting me or those around me in this situation, it is not my job or responcibility to shoot to stop a robbery. If my interpretation of the threat is different, I win or I go down shooting. I am a witness until lives are threatened beyond my speculation. I must make sure my actions do not increase the likelyhood of colateral damage.

Last edited:

DJEEPER

the way i see it.... lives are in danger the minute someone starts brandishing a firearm and waiving it around a room full of people. Is it loaded? Every firearm is loaded.

the defender just has to have the ability to distinguish when to defend...and when to be submissive. you cannot type out a situation on the computer as it will never be the same.