• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kinston NC cop shoots daughter...

Dreamer

http://www.witn.com/crime/headlines...Shooting_135000138.html?storySection=comments

He broke three of Jeff Coopers "4 Rules of Firearms Safety". Rules 2,3, and 4, to be exact...

RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET

Sounds like this "officer" is afraid of his own shadow. He probably just got home from the latest round of DHS training, and thought that Al-Quaida was breaking into his house, accompanied by a band of disgruntled returning Vet Patriot Tea Party Ron Paul supporters...

Last edited:

MilProGuy

I would venture to say that there is definitely more to this story than the tiny tidbit of info in the article.

bigl0af

http://www.witn.com/crime/headlines...Shooting_135000138.html?storySection=comments

He broke three of Jeff Coopers "4 Rules of Firearms Safety". Rules 2,3, and 4, to be exact...

RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET

Sounds like this "officer" is afraid of his own shadow. He probably just got home from the latest round of DHS training, and thought that Al-Quaida was breaking into his house, accompanied by a band of disgruntled returning Vet Patriot Tea Party Ron Paul supporters...

LOL nice

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Badger Johnson

Here's more:
Shot was Raven Jones of Charlotte. She's in fair condition at Pitt County Memorial Hospital.

Public Safety Director Bill Johnson says the officer thought he was home alone and went to investigate a suspicious noise he believed to be an intruder. Johnson says the officer encountered the victim in the home, was startled and accidentally fired one shot. Jones was hit in the lower leg.

What happened to calling out and/or using a flashlight? I agree it sounds like there was something more going on.

MilProGuy

Here's more:

What happened to calling out and/or using a flashlight? I agree it sounds like there was something more going on.

Indeed.

Even with the additional info you furnished, this just doesn't all add up. There has to be more to the story that somebody is not telling.

muccione

Of course there is more to the story.

1. He is a cop.
2. He is expertly trained with firearms.
3. He is a cop.
4. His personal home.
5. He is a cop.
6. He enforces the law.
7. You get the point.
His ego kicked in and he felt HOW DARE ANYONE BREAK INTO MY HOUSE, he would not give ANY intruder a chance.
He was going to get the drop and KILL the person. To teach them a lesson. Just to bad he had his eyes closed before pulling the trigger.

Not the first time and likely not the last.
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1841845/posts

Badger Johnson

I was thinking more along the lines of an argument and his daughter is covering for him. Perhaps alcohol was involved. It just seems out of the question that an experienced carrier would shoot like that (and miss CoM as well).

old curmudgeon

I was thinking more along the lines of an argument and his daughter is covering for him. Perhaps alcohol was involved. It just seems out of the question that an experienced carrier would shoot like that (and miss CoM as well).

Nonsense.

Most people think of Kinston as a sleepy little town when in fact its crime rate is 50% higer than the NC average. More than that when compared to the national average.

And when you factor in Charlotte, Winston and a few others that means it is a pretty dangerous place.

http://www.homesurfer.com/crimereports/view/crime_report.cfm?state=NC&area=Kinston

At 8:00PM it is pitch black dark and apparently he lives alone as there is no mention of his wife.

As for me, I make it a point if I have to return to the house for something I forgot and it is dark, I call my wife on my cell so as not to alarm her.

Yes, he was a little jumpy on the trigger, maybe. It also may be that he really intended to shoot his "burglar" but is ashamed to admit it.

He should use a revolver. Autos are not his thing, apparently.

Don't let the size of a town fool you. Burlington is close by and we get the crime news for Burlington and it never ceases to amaze me. Home invasions, robberies, etc., like you would not believe.

We don't know what he has been through in the last few weeks. He may have a good reason to be jumpy.