• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Classic Guns ok for OC meetings?

FMJ 911

I decided to attend a OC Meeting at a local coffee house in town, and before leaving my house, I grabbed my Dad's "1930 Commercial Model" Broom-Handle Mauser(It's the only gun in the collection that has a decent Leather holster for OC), and went to the meeting. Everyone liked it, and it was cool to carry such a neat collectible.

I would like to hear your thoughts about taking classics to OC Meetings/Events. I'm sure it's okay, but does it properly represent the whole OC message? Is it better to carry a "Duty" Gun like a Utility Revolver, or a Glock, 1911, Hi-Power?

Thanks

~Robert

4angrybadgers

I can't see how an antique/classic firearm would be an issue. The "OC message" is merely that open carry is a normal, everyday part of the lives of normal, everyday folks.

Hell, you may get a better reaction carrying that Mauser than someone carrying a "Scary evil high-capacity black gun!!!".

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I'd say it's good to go, so long as you are comfortable with it's reliability as a defensive weapon. A gun is a gun in the eyes of the public. Every pistol is a Glock and every rifle is an AK-47.

KBCraig

If anything, it makes a better argument.

Some people claim they're not really again guns, just the modern semi-automatics that "spray" bullets. Show them your broomhandle that was introduced in 1896, and see how they react.

Iopencarry

We have had many old handguns at our meet-ups. While most are newer, the old ones do add a lot to talk about. Many people will come up to you and ask about it, and then OC.
If you like the gun, carry it. I would however, get a level 2 or better retention holster.

FMJ 911

I had posted on another Gun Forum about it, but got mixed replies.

Some felt that what I did was good.

Some Were not so hot about it.

Some didn't care.

Personally, I prefer to carry old, but still effective, guns to OC meetings. Just goes to show that although a gun may be old, it's certainly not useless! And I'm not trying to show off to anyone, I'm just a real sucker for Classic guns!

Dreamer

I've seen some beautiful revolvers at OC meetups, and even a few old "Army-Navy" models, and a gorgeous matched pair of pearl-handled nickle plated Schofeild's once.

I'm still waiting for someone to wear a double-brace of Scottish Snaphaunces in crossed baldricks though. That would be WAY COOL... :banana:

If it is reliable, functional, safe, and you are competent and comfortable with it, wear it.

The folks "in the know" will appreciate the novelty, and the sheeple will be left speechless, which is how it should be...

okboomer

Seriously? You have to ask? Oh, man <facepalm>

Just as with shoes and belts, and ties and jackets, you need "dress" guns, and "bluejean" guns, and "sunday-go-to-meeting" guns, and guns that match shoes and belts, along with holsters for each :lol:

decklin

I think there is no problem with this. I would however, limit my carrying of such a magnificent piece of history to just those special occasions. The reason is that if it were me I would be worried that something might happen to it.

FMJ 911

Just curious, but what would you think might happen to it?

I think Decklin is concerned that the gun may get damaged, or worn from regular carry. The wear is has on it shows that it indeed was used at some point as a carry gun. The metal is good for the most part except the grip. That part appears to have been exposed to rain, and the wood grips adsorbed water, causing the grip frame to excessively rust. I plan on having that part repaired at some point, as the pitting is very serious.

I understand that my particular gun is worth roughly $900-$1,000, and so, it will only be brought out on special occasions. There's still no doubt that it's still quite an effective firearm fully capable of Self-Defense.

If I were to do regular carry, I'd use either my Daewoo DP-51 9mm, or my Kimber Custom II .45 ACP.

decklin

I think Decklin is concerned that the gun may get damaged, or worn from regular carry. The wear is has on it shows that it indeed was used at some point as a carry gun. The metal is good for the most part except the grip. That part appears to have been exposed to rain, and the wood grips adsorbed water, causing the grip frame to excessively rust. I plan on having that part repaired at some point, as the pitting is very serious.

I understand that my particular gun is worth roughly $900-$1,000, and so, it will only be brought out on special occasions. There's still no doubt that it's still quite an effective firearm fully capable of Self-Defense.

If I were to do regular carry, I'd use either my Daewoo DP-51 9mm, or my Kimber Custom II .45 ACP.

That is exaclty what I would be worried about. Just normal wear and tear on a weapon that probably already has quite a bit.