Thread: Open Carry Climate in Arlington

Pittsburgh, PA

Open Carry Climate in Arlington

Hi, this is my first post on

I am a student at Carnegie Mellon University. I am graduating in a few weeks and have accepted a position in Arlington. I will be moving down there within a month, and I was wondering if anyone has ever OC'ed in the city.

I am a member on PAFOA (a PA forum) and have OC'ed about 4 times in Pittsburgh without any negative encounters. However, the vibe I got from Arlington is that everything is sort of upscale and I have a feeling that the population might be quite liberal since it is so close to DC.

Does anyone have any OC stories about Arlington or about what the climate is like for OC there? Also, are there any local restrictions that I should be aware of? (I think I read something about a magazine capacity restriction in Arlington County.)

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    N. Chesterfield, Va.
    Welcome to OCDO and Virginia.

Plenty of OCers in and around Arlington. All in all the Arlington area is an interesting and friendly place to live, though the conservative values are more dominate the further south you go.

Virginia localities are preempted by state law regarding firearms.

For stories/experiences about that area go to:

The magazine restriction that applies is more than 20 rds is illegal if you do not have a permit in larger metropolitan areas - they are specified.

Sign up for the free Va-Alerts and do consider joining VCDL, the premier supporter of RKBA and self-defense in Virginia - "Defending Your Right To Defend Yourself"
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Location, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Welcome aboard! I spend some time on PAFOA myself.

Please let me know if I can assist you with any training needs.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio -

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Welcome aboard and congratulations on your up-coming graduation.

It is true that the closer you get to DC, the more left-leaning are the demographics of the area. Arlington is not a city; it's a county and as such is the smallest county in Virginia. Effectively, Arlington is the remaining southwest corner of Washington had there been no river between them. The enclaves of Arlington, Falls Church, and Alexandria are more likely to have people who might stare and even say something not only because of the greater number of lefties but also because of the population mix. There is a high percentage of people from other parts of the nation and the world in these close-in areas and most are not accustomed to being exposed to people exercising their Virginia rights. But the chances of having a negative encounter are kind of rare. You should be fine.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks for the info, guys. That is very encouraging. I'm looking forward to moving down there.