• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Climate in Arlington

tacticool

Hi, this is my first post on opencarry.org.

I am a student at Carnegie Mellon University. I am graduating in a few weeks and have accepted a position in Arlington. I will be moving down there within a month, and I was wondering if anyone has ever OC'ed in the city.

I am a member on PAFOA (a PA forum) and have OC'ed about 4 times in Pittsburgh without any negative encounters. However, the vibe I got from Arlington is that everything is sort of upscale and I have a feeling that the population might be quite liberal since it is so close to DC.

Does anyone have any OC stories about Arlington or about what the climate is like for OC there? Also, are there any local restrictions that I should be aware of? (I think I read something about a magazine capacity restriction in Arlington County.)

Thanks.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome to OCDO and Virginia.

Plenty of OCers in and around Arlington. All in all the Arlington area is an interesting and friendly place to live, though the conservative values are more dominate the further south you go.

Virginia localities are preempted by state law regarding firearms.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+15.2-915

For stories/experiences about that area go to:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?38118-Open-Carry-in-NoVA

The magazine restriction that applies is more than 20 rds is illegal if you do not have a permit in larger metropolitan areas - they are specified.
http://leg1.state.va.us/000/cod/18.2-308.HTM

Sign up for the free Va-Alerts and do consider joining VCDL, the premier supporter of RKBA and self-defense in Virginia - "Defending Your Right To Defend Yourself"

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Welcome aboard and congratulations on your up-coming graduation.

It is true that the closer you get to DC, the more left-leaning are the demographics of the area. Arlington is not a city; it's a county and as such is the smallest county in Virginia. Effectively, Arlington is the remaining southwest corner of Washington had there been no river between them. The enclaves of Arlington, Falls Church, and Alexandria are more likely to have people who might stare and even say something not only because of the greater number of lefties but also because of the population mix. There is a high percentage of people from other parts of the nation and the world in these close-in areas and most are not accustomed to being exposed to people exercising their Virginia rights. But the chances of having a negative encounter are kind of rare. You should be fine.