Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Caliber Do You Carry? And Why? Terminal Ballistics As Viewed In A Morgue!

Lightbulb What Caliber Do You Carry? And Why? Terminal Ballistics As Viewed In A Morgue!

This is a fantastic article covering many different calibers and bullet types. A must read for anyone serious in self defense and the belief in "One Shot Stops".

http://www.gunthorp.com/Terminal%20B...a%20morgue.htm
    “The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the People of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” -- Samuel Adams

“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen. Citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.”

—John F. Kennedy

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

.40 S&W because it is the caliber of choice for many law enforcement agencies.

I figure that if I ever have to use my pistol in self-defense, that no lawyer will be able to effectively accuse me of "over-gunning".

If it's okay for LEO's then it should be okay for civilians.

Last edited by MilProGuy; 12-06-2011 at 04:21 PM. Reason: added photo
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired

.357sig because when I sheepishly went out to buy my first handgun a couple years or so back, I ended up buying a gently used Springfield XD service pistol chambered in .357sig for half the price of the new pistols. A quick glance through the store told me I'd be spending more on ammo but I went with it anyways and have been quite happy with it.

darn...was hoping for morgue pics...lol

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar

What caliber and why?

45 ACP or 357 sig depending on if I feel like my stylish stainless 1911 or my incognito HKUSPc.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

.177 led pellets. The pointy kind.

I generally throw four at a time from each hand. I can kill a giant three toed Xinjiang Fire Sloth from 7,000 yards while traveling forwards OR backwards in time.

It takes practice.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

I use 9mm just because it is cheaper 2 shot, I can buy more 9mm rounds witch means I can practice shoting more often.

Quote Originally Posted by HandyHamlet View Post
    .177 led pellets. The pointy kind.

I generally throw four at a time from each hand. I can kill a giant three toed Xinjiang Fire Sloth from 7,000 yards while traveling forwards OR backwards in time.

It takes practice.
    .177 isn't bad if that's all you have, I prefer the .50cal foamie myself - it's a real mans cartridge of choice as bigger is always better and as seen in the comparison below... the .50cal foamie is hard to beat and has the versatility of being fired from shotguns as well.

These are some of my daily carry pieces as well as my defensive shotgun I keep in my vehicle at all times in case the SHTF.

"Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Campaign Veteran
    Depends on what/where I'm going. I carry the 9mm XDM 3.8 for concealment/cold weather since I work outdoors. For "dress" conditions, stainless Springfield 1911.

When heading into heavily populated "shady" areas, I pack the big boy:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dm300020.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	7560

My trunk looks a lot like this........

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nerf-guns-2011.jpg 
Views:	7530 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	7561
    You can speak softy and carry a big stick, but I'll stick to my guns.

Member - Wisconsin Carry, Inc. http://ww.wisconsincarry.org
    Member of West Bend Barton Sportsman's Club - http://www.wbbsc.com

When I was in the market for a carry/home defence pistol, I read alot of stuff here, talked to the guys at the gun shops, and generaly did my research. If I had read that article beforehand it would have helped alot, but in the end I still chose right, and got me a .45. I cant help but still laugh at the guy that suggested that a .22 is the best round for carry defence.
    My 2nd amedment rights trump some paranoid persons ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy D View Post
    I cant help but still laugh at the guy that suggested that a .22 is the best round for carry defence.
    Keep laughing. 'Cause the constant yipping of the caliber queens never gets old.

The pellet gun wound that killed 10-year-old Keegan Swinney was so damaging doctors were surprised he lived long enough to walk home and collapse on his porch.

"It went through all the chambers of his heart," Keegan's father, Craig Swinney, said Saturday.

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2011/12/04/409...#ixzz1frAmYpGe
    Last edited by HandyHamlet; 12-07-2011 at 08:59 AM.
    Abraham Lincoln

Alexcabbie

Quote Originally Posted by MilProGuy View Post

I figure that if I ever have to use my pistol in self-defense, that no lawyer will be able to effectively accuse me of "over-gunning".

I prefer the .40 myself, though I'm sure the 9mm would do the trick, I feel the .40 closes the gap between .45 and 9mm. It's more of just a mental thing for me.

Does anyone have any evidence that supports claims of people going down in court for using a "larger" caliber weapon? I see this on internet forums all the time, but so far no one has been able to provide any cite to a case where having a larger caliber made someone go down. IMO deadly force is deadly force, it's either justified or not. Whether you cut someone's head off with an axe, shot them with a .50AE, .22LR, or hit them in the head with a baton < it's deadly force.
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

Dude. Reality will kill the internet bravado and adult male fantasies.

It could be argued that if you can't defend yourself with a .22 you shouldn't be allowed to carry. Because you aren't good enough and lack training.

The real question is what caliber will stop a fall.

FALLS LEAD TO MOST INJURY-RELATED DEATHS IN WISCONSIN
    Tuesday December 06, 2011 by Shamane Mills
    (STATEWIDE) The number one cause of injury-related death in Wisconsin from 2007 to 2009 is falls. When it comes to preventable accidents, falls kill more people in Wisconsin than motor vehicle crashes, poisoning or homicide. This data comes from a report by the Injury Research Center at the Medical College of Wisconsin in Milwaukee.

http://www.wpr.org/news/display_head...?storyid=27608
    Last edited by HandyHamlet; 12-07-2011 at 09:19 AM.
    Abraham Lincoln

Alexcabbie

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post
    I prefer the .40 myself, though I'm sure the 9mm would do the trick, I feel the .40 closes the gap between .45 and 9mm. It's more of just a mental thing for me.

Does anyone have any evidence that supports claims of people going down in court for using a "larger" caliber weapon? I see this on internet forums all the time, but so far no one has been able to provide any cite to a case where having a larger caliber made someone go down. IMO deadly force is deadly force, it's either justified or not. Whether you cut someone's head off with an axe, shot them with a .50AE, .22LR, or hit them in the head with a baton < it's deadly force.
    Well, there's deadly force and then there's REALLY, REALLY DEADLY FORCE...

Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

I gave up trying to read the whole thing. All it appears to be is 'cut & paste' of a forum discussion.

A carry Hornady Critical Defense .45ACP +P.

My BUG will be a .40.

Quote Originally Posted by davegran View Post

Wisconsin Carry Member
    My Castle Doctrine Law

Don't wish ill upon your enemy......plan it.

.45 ACP. It served our military well for several decades and still does. 'Nuff said.
    Wisconsin Carry Member
    My Castle Doctrine Law

Don't wish ill upon your enemy......plan it.

Lightbulb My Carry Gun Is A Glock 36. .45ACP Stops Em & Drops Em...

I carried a .22LR way back when....about 1980 or so because I couldn't afford more. Then moved up to a Colt Government Model 70 in .45 ACP...too young to know better so got rid of it. When I realized what self defense handgun calibers were all about I started carrying a Rossi model 971 in .357 Magnum. That worked very well for years. Then dropped down to the 9mm...my opinion it was a mistake but I was working on my fears of "Spray and pray" so higher capacity was what I wanted. Finally settled on the .45 ACP as what I carry. Chose the Glock 36 years ago in Florida where minimal clothing is worn most of the year so a small, concealable gun in a large caliber was the ticket....Glock 36. Still carry it today due to my knowledge of it's working order and my proficiency with it. I also think the Glock 30 is an excellent choice as well as the Springfield XD or XDM in .45 ACP.
    “The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the People of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” -- Samuel Adams

“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen. Citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.”

—John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by davegran View Post

My Anaconda's muzzle flash is almost that short...
    Bale da Hay

"Have you Spanked a leftist today; it's the Right thing to do!!!"

Within the gates before a man shall go,
    (Fully warily let him watch,)
    Full long let him look about him;
    For little he knows where a foe may lurk,
    And sit in the seats within.

Havamal (Bellows translation)

That was a long read (and I'm a compulsive reader), and it is indeed a cut and past of a forum thread. What it boils down to is that in the authors (ex-cop and current morgue guy) opinion, the best self defense rounds in a handgun are .40, .45, and .357, but he added the caveat on the .357 is that it's rarely seen anymore. He speculates that the 9mm and .380 found in bodies are often multiple gunshots, whereas the 40 class bullets use fewer rounds to stop the threat, all based on what he sees in the morgue.

He does say the order of preference would actually be shotgun-rifle-handgun for stopping power.

He also thinks that a person who is properly trained in aiming and firing a weapon has a big advantage over a gangbanger who's method is spray and pray while holding it over their head and sideways. That I can believe!

All kinds of tangents in there too, about suicides and calibers, helping ID people from mass graves, etc.

Interesting read if you can take the time for it.

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA

Thumbs up It is a lot of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by rcav8r View Post

He also thinks that a person who is properly trained in aiming and firing a weapon has a big advantage over a gangbanger who's method is spray and pray while holding it over their head and sideways. That I can believe!....
    Agreed. The thing is that there is a big difference between standing on a firing line, banging away at stationary paper targets and running and gunning against the clock and other competitors in a combat match such as IDPA or IPSC. The matches more closely resemble the encounters, movements and tactics you might use in the real world plus they stimulate an adrenaline dump that makes shooting much more difficult until you learn to manage it. You will be amazed at how much better your drawing, shooting, reloading, and dealing with malfunctions becomes after a summer of IDPA, plus it is a lot of fun!
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

Quote Originally Posted by MilProGuy View Post

Thats your 740? It looks big in the picture. I would have bought one last Saturday, but all they had in was 709's.

Quote Originally Posted by BROKENSPROKET View Post
    Thats your 740? It looks big in the picture. I would have bought one last Saturday, but all they had in was 709's.
    Here's a pic which may help you get an idea of the actual size of the pistol when worn in a holster.

Last edited by MilProGuy; 12-07-2011 at 04:17 PM. Reason: corrected spelling / added pic
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast