• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What Caliber Do You Carry? And Why? Terminal Ballistics As Viewed In A Morgue!

Lurchiron

Well, there's deadly force and then there's REALLY, REALLY DEADLY FORCE...
156tkhs.jpg

My Anaconda's muzzle flash is almost that short... :lol:

rcav8r

That was a long read (and I'm a compulsive reader), and it is indeed a cut and past of a forum thread. What it boils down to is that in the authors (ex-cop and current morgue guy) opinion, the best self defense rounds in a handgun are .40, .45, and .357, but he added the caveat on the .357 is that it's rarely seen anymore. He speculates that the 9mm and .380 found in bodies are often multiple gunshots, whereas the 40 class bullets use fewer rounds to stop the threat, all based on what he sees in the morgue.

He does say the order of preference would actually be shotgun-rifle-handgun for stopping power.

He also thinks that a person who is properly trained in aiming and firing a weapon has a big advantage over a gangbanger who's method is spray and pray while holding it over their head and sideways. :lol: That I can believe!

All kinds of tangents in there too, about suicides and calibers, helping ID people from mass graves, etc.

Interesting read if you can take the time for it.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
It is a lot of fun!

He also thinks that a person who is properly trained in aiming and firing a weapon has a big advantage over a gangbanger who's method is spray and pray while holding it over their head and sideways. :lol: That I can believe!....
Agreed. The thing is that there is a big difference between standing on a firing line, banging away at stationary paper targets and running and gunning against the clock and other competitors in a combat match such as IDPA or IPSC. The matches more closely resemble the encounters, movements and tactics you might use in the real world plus they stimulate an adrenaline dump that makes shooting much more difficult until you learn to manage it. You will be amazed at how much better your drawing, shooting, reloading, and dealing with malfunctions becomes after a summer of IDPA, plus it is a lot of fun! :D

BROKENSPROKET

.40 S&W because it is the caliber of choice for many law enforcement agencies.

I figure that if I ever have to use my pistol in self-defense, that no lawyer will be able to effectively accuse me of "over-gunning".

If it's okay for LEO's then it should be okay for civilians.

740slim.jpg

Thats your 740? It looks big in the picture. I would have bought one last Saturday, but all they had in was 709's.

Fast Ed

What I carry

12 gauge in the car for now. When my ticket comes in then I will carry one of these. Para Ordinance 6.45 LDA, S&W M&P .45c, S&W 5906 9mm, Walther PPK in .380, Browning "Baby" .25ACP in that order depending on what I am wearing and where I am going. I can hide that .25 in a pair of Speedos, not that any of you would want to see that, but it gives me the option of carrying something, no matter where or what.

Fast Ed

baldp8

If I am not working, I carry my SA Micro Compact .45ACP. If I am going to work I carry my Sig P238 in .380ACP. It may not be ideal, but it sure beats the heck out of the tactical pen and leatherman that were all I was allowed to carry before 11-9-11 (the day I got my card).

Last edited:

Captain Nemo

There is no perfect answer to the question. I have driven Fords all my life. That probably nearly makes some of you GM drivers want to puke. Different strokes for different folks. The only answer is that "it depends". It depends on the situation. There are three environments in which deadly force may be needed, home, vehicle, public. Each entertain a most effective weapon. As a home defense weapon, as Auric implies with his preference for .729 caliber, nothing is more effective across a living room than a slide action, short barreled 12 gauge shotgun loaded with #2 3 inch magnum shells. In a vehicle things like comfort and quick access become important factors. A car jacker can approach your vehicle unseen and break the window and have you by the throat in 5 seconds. You might as well have a foamy if your large handgun is caught between your body and the car seat and/or tangled in the seat belt. Or worse yet left at home because it is too uncomfortable to drive with it on. My choice: a .32 caliber derringer carried in the door pocket. Fast and ready access. It doesn't take an expert marksman or a big bullet to give a bad guy a third eye at 3 to 4 feet. Yes, I do have a CCL. For public carry any of the handguns mentioned are good. My opinion is that firepower and caliber are secondary to proficiency. Many FBI reports and slaughterhouse tests have confirmed that the only instantly incapacitating shot is to the central nervous system. The caliber is directly proportionate to the shooters ability to place the bullet in the proper area. One report I read a few years ago described a number of enemy soldiers that survived direct hits by .50 caliber machine gun bullets. My preference for public carry is a short barreled, hammerless, .38 caliber revolver. Extremely reliable, concealable and accurate. At normal self defense ranges if I can't get 'er done in six shots then I will kiss my butt goodbye. These are my preferences and as I said earlier different strokes for different folks.

I think the bottom line is that one should carry and use the firearm for which they have the most confidence in and can handle most proficiently. A 120 pound woman with a small caliber gun of small size that she can shoot well is more of a threat to a bad guy than one trying to shoot an attacker with a .44 caliber Taurus Raging Bull. Especially if she has her eyes closed and teeth gritted because she fears the recoil. If that horrific time ever comes when you must use deadly force you don't want to be hampered by wondering if you or your gun are up to the task. Second place is no good in a gun fight.

Kc.38

I am on the same thought pattern as you are Nemo except, in an vehicle I carry a 9mm by my right leg with the idea that if I would be grabbed at a stoplight I may need to shoot through the door. If he has me by the throat I don't know if I would be able to get the gun up in the window with all of the arms and hands flailing around and I would just as soon he did not see it comming. Otherwise I also have a 12ga for home defense and carry a .38 snubby.

MilProGuy

I am on the same thought pattern as you are Nemo except, in an vehicle I carry a 9mm by my right leg with the idea that if I would be grabbed at a stoplight I may need to shoot through the door. If he has me by the throat I don't know if I would be able to get the gun up in the window with all of the arms and hands flailing around and I would just as soon he did not see it comming. Otherwise I also have a 12ga for home defense and carry a .38 snubby.

It appears that you have your "bases covered".
icon14.png

rcav8r

I handled a 709 at the gun shop. It felt like it was going to start slipping out of my hand if I fired it. Might have felt better with a different groove pattern on the grip and/or a finger rest on the mag. I went with the Ruger LC9, haven't fired it yet unfortunately. Then I handled a Kahr CW9 and it fits my hand perfectly, and I'm trying to save up for one.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I handled a 709 at the gun shop. It felt like it was going to start slipping out of my hand if I fired it. Might have felt better with a different groove pattern on the grip and/or a finger rest on the mag. I went with the Ruger LC9, haven't fired it yet unfortunately. Then I handled a Kahr CW9 and it fits my hand perfectly, and I'm trying to save up for one.

242xzxc.jpg

Captain Nemo

As you imply kc.38 the key to vehicle carry is accessibility. I have read a report that supposidly inteviews carjackers and reflects that the favorite tool of the trade is a sparkplug. It concentrates the force of a blow to a small area. The carjackers say that the modern glass in vehicles work to their advantage shattering into thousands of harmless little pieces when struck with enough concentrated force. Supposedly it gives them two advantages. It removes the risk of being cut by the window glass. It gives them an element of suprise and shock. I imagine a person all of a sudden appearing out of nowhere and your car window all of a sudden shattering, almost in your face, could be unnerving. I have never tested the sparkplug theory so can't say it's truth or fiction. I'm just responding with what I have read. However I have had windows in vehicles shatter as claimed for no apparent reason. At the risk the reports are true, accessibility must be the rule.

Yetiman

The spark plug tool is accurate. You need to stress the glass. Using something large, it is actually pretty hard to break a car window.

Thieves have been using cheap automatic center punches for years, and spark plugs too. Concentrated force in a tiny spot.