Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: New IWB crossbreed holster print issues

  1. #1
    Regular Member Sorcice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    382

    New IWB crossbreed holster print issues

    So here's the issue. I am a bigger guy 6'2 and 280lbs and I've read that usually bigger guys don't have issues with printing. I don't have an issue if jacket is involved. Even a hoody works but for summer months this could pose a problem. I've figured out that at around 3:30-4 I can conceal nicely in a t-shirt but if I bend forward at all the grip pokes out and screams "HERE I AM!". I have tried adjusting the can't of the holster and so far the best I can get it is lining up with my pant line perfectly. I have attached an image of my full size px4 inside my holster so you can see what I mean by the grip sticking out. As far as the front end it seems to work fine coming out the bottom as it does. I have thought about over shirts and will probably have to if I want to CC but that doesn't help the printing if I bend forward. Oh and wearing it at 12:30-1:00 doesn't work because of the gut lol. Please help! I want to take this puppy out as soon as my lic arrives. Until then I'll OC per usual. I may end up getting the compact of the px4 as well which also fits in the holster which I think would solve my issue but that's gonna be down the road a few months.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	946 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	7548

  2. #2
    Herr Heckler Koch
    Guest
    There is no legal issue with printing in Wisconsin law, indeed, printing is marginally open carrying for which no permission slip is required.

    Contrariwise, the only real benefit of a CWL in Wisconsin is removing the issue of inadvertent concealment, as perhaps due to a jacket or shirttail flipping over one's gun.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Sorcice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by Herr Heckler Koch View Post
    There is no legal issue with printing in Wisconsin law, indeed, printing is marginally open carrying for which no permission slip is required.

    Contrariwise, the only real benefit of a CWL in Wisconsin is removing the issue of inadvertent concealment, as perhaps due to a jacket or shirttail flipping over one's gun.
    Thanks and I am aware of the benefits. It would be more for when I go too family events where I don't want to print because being interrogated as to why I needed a gun at a family event really doesn't interest me. 1-2 at a time sure but my family events get 50+ people at a time. They don't grasp having it to/from the event and making other stops.

  4. #4
    Herr Heckler Koch
    Guest

  5. #5
    Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Right Behind You!, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,818
    First, bigger guys sometimes have a harder time concealing; especially if a person has a muffin top all the way around. I didn't take a very close look at your midsection the other day in Madison; you're not my type, but if you have a muffin it may give you a bit of trouble. Luckily for me, even though I have plenty of it, my fat stays in front of me and doesn't get in the way of my holster....LOL

    Judging by your photo, you've got it canted the wrong way. You want the grip canted forward; barrel aiming rearward. This will actually put the grip higher and closer to your body which will help. I've got mine canted almost all the way forward and riding at about 3:30. You also want the widest; good quality, leather belt that you can fit through your belt loops and holster clips. This will help the gun ride tight to your body.

    I actually have that same hoslter but for my HK USPc. I did find that it took a little bit of a break in period to fit the best but after wearing it all the time around the house and then out and about after I got my CCL it fits like a glove.
    Last edited by Brass Magnet; 12-06-2011 at 04:09 PM.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    Lex malla, lex nulla

  6. #6
    Regular Member davegran's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,565
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorcice View Post
    ....I've figured out that at around 3:30-4 I can conceal nicely in a t-shirt but if I bend forward at all the grip pokes out and screams "HERE I AM!". I have tried adjusting the can't of the holster and so far the best I can get it is lining up with my pant line perfectly....

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	946 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	7548
    As long as you are experimenting, try canting the gun forward as much as possible just to see what it feels like. That will tuck the grip into your back much more. Also experiment with 4:00-4:30 and see how you like it. You may have to give up the tee shirts and go Hawaiian.... At least the pattern will hide the gun better.
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

    WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

    Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

  7. #7
    Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Right Behind You!, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,818
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorcice View Post
    Thanks and I am aware of the benefits. It would be more for when I go too family events where I don't want to print because being interrogated as to why I needed a gun at a family event really doesn't interest me. 1-2 at a time sure but my family events get 50+ people at a time. They don't grasp having it to/from the event and making other stops.
    HAHA, Family events are where I'm most likely to conceal as well. I did with my crossbreed and USPc at Thanksgiving with nothing more than a tshirt over it and wasn't "made" by anyone.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    Lex malla, lex nulla

  8. #8
    Herr Heckler Koch
    Guest
    Muffin-tops are for girls, otherwise it's obesity. At 6'2" 240 lbm I have no problems with or without a holster. YMMV

  9. #9
    Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Right Behind You!, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,818
    Quote Originally Posted by Herr Heckler Koch View Post
    Muffin-tops are for girls, otherwise it's obesity. At 6'2" 240 lbm I have no problems with or without a holster. YMMV
    In this case, I'm using it as a way to describe how, or in what area, the fat is "worn". Some have the muffin tops or "toad backs" if you prefer, and some just have a belly that doesn't go all the way around. If you come up with a better descriptor I'll use that one.
    Last edited by Brass Magnet; 12-06-2011 at 04:19 PM.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    Lex malla, lex nulla

  10. #10
    Regular Member Wolf1477's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Up Nort' Wi
    Posts
    188
    I carry my 5" 1911 in a CBST, and anyone who's met me can vouch that I ain't a small guy<G> As others have said, you want a forward cant to the grip. I've got mine with the left screw in the middle hole and the right screw in the top hole and both tabs raked back a little bit. I also carry with the front tab just behind my watch pocket of my jeans (figure the pistol is roughly 4:15) with the slide of the pistol running down to my right back pocket, as an added benefit, I don't have to worry about my wallet falling out anymore<g>.

    Also, you'll want to give the holster plenty of time to break in (horsehide takes longer than the cowhide), otherwise it'll just about stand up and wave at everyone. I wore my holster empty for about a week and a half after finding the most comfortable spot for it to ride (I got it long before 11-1).

  11. #11
    Regular Member Trip20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Wausau Area
    Posts
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by Brass Magnet View Post
    Judging by your photo, you've got it canted the wrong way.
    Bingo!

  12. #12
    Regular Member Sorcice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by Brass Magnet View Post
    First, bigger guys sometimes have a harder time concealing; especially if a person has a muffin top all the way around. I didn't take a very close look at your midsection the other day in Madison; you're not my type, but if you have a muffin it may give you a bit of trouble. Luckily for me, even though I have plenty of it, my fat stays in front of me and doesn't get in the way of my holster....LOL

    Judging by your photo, you've got it canted the wrong way. You want the grip canted forward; barrel aiming rearward. This will actually put the grip higher and closer to your body which will help. I've got mine canted almost all the way forward and riding at about 3:30. You also want the widest; good quality, leather belt that you can fit through your belt loops and holster clips. This will help the gun ride tight to your body.

    I actually have that same hoslter but for my HK USPc. I did find that it took a little bit of a break in period to fit the best but after wearing it all the time around the house and then out and about after I got my CCL it fits like a glove.
    Hmm. Ya I've been playing with the cant. And I did try the extreme forward but it made the grip/mag well even more distinguished when I tried bending over. I'll take some picks with diff cants and post in a few hrs when I get home.

  13. #13
    Campaign Veteran Flipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    , Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,140
    I'm a small guy with not too much waist overhang, carrying a Springfield Micro Compact 45. The only way I can keep the handle from showing is cross-draw with it at 9:30. The holster I'm using has a cant to the rear. I will be looking for one with a forward cant.
    Last edited by Flipper; 12-06-2011 at 07:02 PM.
    When in danger you can dial 911 and hope for the police to arrive a few minutes later armed with guns.
    Why do police carry guns?

    The Joyce Foundation funded firearm control empire:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lFundingR1.png

    "Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see." - Martin Luther King Jr.

  14. #14
    Regular Member markush's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Kenosha
    Posts
    175
    Just gonna throw this out there because you said the extreme forward cant also allowed the butt to stick out...My guess is that you are wearing your pants and thus the gun too low/lower then your um "love handles" so they are pushing everything thing out. If you can't get your current pants up over the handles try a larger size pants and pull them up! I actually have the same problem and have all my life, well all my love handle bearing life, have wore my pants below them. If I don't hike my pants up the butts of my guns hang out like I'm getting ready for a high noon showdown!

  15. #15
    Regular Member Sorcice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    382
    I don't have a gun belt but it is a thicker solid not braided leather belt. And it's pretty tight. I'll post pics when I get home. Ended up in Milwaukee for longer than I'd planned at a birthday. Gonna leave in a few here. And ya the love handles are pushing the gun out though the holsters seems to be basically working as a "reorganizer of handles" so it doesn't print from the side. Just the back. Again, I'll post pics when I get home.
    Last edited by Sorcice; 12-07-2011 at 02:49 AM.

  16. #16
    Regular Member Sorcice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorcice View Post
    I don't have a gun belt but it is a thicker solid not braided leather belt. And it's pretty tight. I'll post pics when I get home. Ended up in Milwaukee for longer than I'd planned at a birthday. Gonna leave in a few here. And ya the love handles are pushing the gun out though the holsters seems to be basically working as a "reorganizer of handles" so it doesn't print from the side. Just the back. Again, I'll post pics when I get home.
    I found the sweet spot after trying the full cant again and also canting the holster on the clips forward.. The difference this time was using bigger pants. my pants before were so tight they were pulling on the bottom of the holster and forcing the butt of the gun out. I have almost no print now with a tighter shirt WOOT! Thanks a ton ladies/gents! see below:

    What I had before:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reverse cant shown.jpg 
Views:	398 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	7558

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	good cant almost no print.jpg 
Views:	371 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	7555

    With new cant:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	good cant shown.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	7556

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reverse cant standing print.jpg 
Views:	428 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	7559

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	good cant.jpg 
Views:	380 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	7557
    Last edited by Sorcice; 12-07-2011 at 06:26 AM.

  17. #17
    Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Right Behind You!, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,818
    Yup, looks about right now. Once you break in the holster it will fit even nicer.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    Lex malla, lex nulla

  18. #18
    Regular Member MilProGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    1,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Brass Magnet View Post
    In this case, I'm using it as a way to describe how, or in what area, the fat is "worn". Some have the muffin tops or "toad backs" if you prefer, and some just have a belly that doesn't go all the way around. If you come up with a better descriptor I'll use that one.
    TOO much information!
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

    Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired


  19. #19
    Regular Member Sorcice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by MilProGuy View Post
    TOO much information!
    Hahaha

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •