• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New IWB crossbreed holster print issues

Sorcice

So here's the issue. I am a bigger guy 6'2 and 280lbs and I've read that usually bigger guys don't have issues with printing. I don't have an issue if jacket is involved. Even a hoody works but for summer months this could pose a problem. I've figured out that at around 3:30-4 I can conceal nicely in a t-shirt but if I bend forward at all the grip pokes out and screams "HERE I AM!". I have tried adjusting the can't of the holster and so far the best I can get it is lining up with my pant line perfectly. I have attached an image of my full size px4 inside my holster so you can see what I mean by the grip sticking out. As far as the front end it seems to work fine coming out the bottom as it does. I have thought about over shirts and will probably have to if I want to CC but that doesn't help the printing if I bend forward. Oh and wearing it at 12:30-1:00 doesn't work because of the gut lol. Please help! I want to take this puppy out as soon as my lic arrives. Until then I'll OC per usual. I may end up getting the compact of the px4 as well which also fits in the holster which I think would solve my issue but that's gonna be down the road a few months.

image.jpg

H

Herr Heckler Koch

There is no legal issue with printing in Wisconsin law, indeed, printing is marginally open carrying for which no permission slip is required.

Contrariwise, the only real benefit of a CWL in Wisconsin is removing the issue of inadvertent concealment, as perhaps due to a jacket or shirttail flipping over one's gun.

Sorcice

There is no legal issue with printing in Wisconsin law, indeed, printing is marginally open carrying for which no permission slip is required.

Contrariwise, the only real benefit of a CWL in Wisconsin is removing the issue of inadvertent concealment, as perhaps due to a jacket or shirttail flipping over one's gun.

Thanks and I am aware of the benefits. It would be more for when I go too family events where I don't want to print because being interrogated as to why I needed a gun at a family event really doesn't interest me. 1-2 at a time sure but my family events get 50+ people at a time. They don't grasp having it to/from the event and making other stops.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
First, bigger guys sometimes have a harder time concealing; especially if a person has a muffin top all the way around. I didn't take a very close look at your midsection the other day in Madison; you're not my type, ;) but if you have a muffin it may give you a bit of trouble. Luckily for me, even though I have plenty of it, my fat stays in front of me and doesn't get in the way of my holster....LOL

Judging by your photo, you've got it canted the wrong way. You want the grip canted forward; barrel aiming rearward. This will actually put the grip higher and closer to your body which will help. I've got mine canted almost all the way forward and riding at about 3:30. You also want the widest; good quality, leather belt that you can fit through your belt loops and holster clips. This will help the gun ride tight to your body.

I actually have that same hoslter but for my HK USPc. I did find that it took a little bit of a break in period to fit the best but after wearing it all the time around the house and then out and about after I got my CCL it fits like a glove.

Last edited:

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
....I've figured out that at around 3:30-4 I can conceal nicely in a t-shirt but if I bend forward at all the grip pokes out and screams "HERE I AM!". I have tried adjusting the can't of the holster and so far the best I can get it is lining up with my pant line perfectly....

View attachment 7548
As long as you are experimenting, try canting the gun forward as much as possible just to see what it feels like. That will tuck the grip into your back much more. Also experiment with 4:00-4:30 and see how you like it. You may have to give up the tee shirts and go Hawaiian.... At least the pattern will hide the gun better.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Thanks and I am aware of the benefits. It would be more for when I go too family events where I don't want to print because being interrogated as to why I needed a gun at a family event really doesn't interest me. 1-2 at a time sure but my family events get 50+ people at a time. They don't grasp having it to/from the event and making other stops.

HAHA, Family events are where I'm most likely to conceal as well. I did with my crossbreed and USPc at Thanksgiving with nothing more than a tshirt over it and wasn't "made" by anyone.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Muffin-tops are for girls, otherwise it's obesity. At 6'2" 240 lbm I have no problems with or without a holster. YMMV

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Muffin-tops are for girls, otherwise it's obesity. At 6'2" 240 lbm I have no problems with or without a holster. YMMV

In this case, I'm using it as a way to describe how, or in what area, the fat is "worn". Some have the muffin tops or "toad backs" if you prefer, and some just have a belly that doesn't go all the way around. If you come up with a better descriptor I'll use that one.

Last edited:

Wolf1477

I carry my 5" 1911 in a CBST, and anyone who's met me can vouch that I ain't a small guy<G> As others have said, you want a forward cant to the grip. I've got mine with the left screw in the middle hole and the right screw in the top hole and both tabs raked back a little bit. I also carry with the front tab just behind my watch pocket of my jeans (figure the pistol is roughly 4:15) with the slide of the pistol running down to my right back pocket, as an added benefit, I don't have to worry about my wallet falling out anymore<g>.

Also, you'll want to give the holster plenty of time to break in (horsehide takes longer than the cowhide), otherwise it'll just about stand up and wave at everyone. I wore my holster empty for about a week and a half after finding the most comfortable spot for it to ride (I got it long before 11-1).

Sorcice

First, bigger guys sometimes have a harder time concealing; especially if a person has a muffin top all the way around. I didn't take a very close look at your midsection the other day in Madison; you're not my type, ;) but if you have a muffin it may give you a bit of trouble. Luckily for me, even though I have plenty of it, my fat stays in front of me and doesn't get in the way of my holster....LOL

Judging by your photo, you've got it canted the wrong way. You want the grip canted forward; barrel aiming rearward. This will actually put the grip higher and closer to your body which will help. I've got mine canted almost all the way forward and riding at about 3:30. You also want the widest; good quality, leather belt that you can fit through your belt loops and holster clips. This will help the gun ride tight to your body.

I actually have that same hoslter but for my HK USPc. I did find that it took a little bit of a break in period to fit the best but after wearing it all the time around the house and then out and about after I got my CCL it fits like a glove.

Hmm. Ya I've been playing with the cant. And I did try the extreme forward but it made the grip/mag well even more distinguished when I tried bending over. I'll take some picks with diff cants and post in a few hrs when I get home.

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
I'm a small guy with not too much waist overhang, carrying a Springfield Micro Compact 45. The only way I can keep the handle from showing is cross-draw with it at 9:30. The holster I'm using has a cant to the rear. I will be looking for one with a forward cant.

Last edited:

markush

Just gonna throw this out there because you said the extreme forward cant also allowed the butt to stick out...My guess is that you are wearing your pants and thus the gun too low/lower then your um "love handles" so they are pushing everything thing out. If you can't get your current pants up over the handles try a larger size pants and pull them up! I actually have the same problem and have all my life, well all my love handle bearing life, have wore my pants below them. If I don't hike my pants up the butts of my guns hang out like I'm getting ready for a high noon showdown!

Sorcice

I don't have a gun belt but it is a thicker solid not braided leather belt. And it's pretty tight. I'll post pics when I get home. Ended up in Milwaukee for longer than I'd planned at a birthday. Gonna leave in a few here. And ya the love handles are pushing the gun out though the holsters seems to be basically working as a "reorganizer of handles" so it doesn't print from the side. Just the back. Again, I'll post pics when I get home.

Last edited:

Sorcice

I don't have a gun belt but it is a thicker solid not braided leather belt. And it's pretty tight. I'll post pics when I get home. Ended up in Milwaukee for longer than I'd planned at a birthday. Gonna leave in a few here. And ya the love handles are pushing the gun out though the holsters seems to be basically working as a "reorganizer of handles" so it doesn't print from the side. Just the back. Again, I'll post pics when I get home.

I found the sweet spot after trying the full cant again and also canting the holster on the clips forward.. The difference this time was using bigger pants. my pants before were so tight they were pulling on the bottom of the holster and forcing the butt of the gun out. I have almost no print now with a tighter shirt WOOT! Thanks a ton ladies/gents! see below:

What I had before:
reverse cant shown.jpg

good cant almost no print.jpg

With new cant:
good cant shown.jpg

reverse cant standing print.jpg

good cant.jpg

Last edited:

MilProGuy

In this case, I'm using it as a way to describe how, or in what area, the fat is "worn". Some have the muffin tops or "toad backs" if you prefer, and some just have a belly that doesn't go all the way around. If you come up with a better descriptor I'll use that one.

TOO much information! :dude: