• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

pistol permit question

ncglock22

Im new to the permit thing. My question is when i have my purchase permit from nc and ready to buy from a family friend, does he have to take my purchase permit? and what when im carrying in the car or OC if im pulled do i show the PO that im legally able to own a gun? And by nc law do i have to have that gun put into my name? please help...im kind of confused.

okboomer

Im new to the permit thing. My question is when i have my purchase permit from nc and ready to buy from a family friend, does he have to take my purchase permit? and what when im carrying in the car or OC if im pulled do i show the PO that im legally able to own a gun? And by nc law do i have to have that gun put into my name? please help...im kind of confused.

First, Welcome to the Forum and OC ...

Second, if you will look at the forum list, you will see when you scroll down below the General Topics that there are individual State Forums in which state-specific questions and citations can be found. That would be the proper place to ask these questions and you will meet others from your state.

diablos30

you do need a permit to purchase/gift a handgun to a familiy memeber

you dont need to show them anything, just make sure its in plain site so as to not run into any possible cc charges. on the dash or on the passgenger seat work.

there is no registry here (with the exception of one place that escapes me) so it doesnt have to be in your name.

welcome, and come on over to the nc section and hang out

ncglock22

nc gun law

So yes or no does the person im buying the gun from have to take my purchase permit when i purchase the gun? or do i keep that and he gets a copy? I have heard it both ways...sorry to be confusing. And good that i dont have to put it into my name...because the gun is clean. so as long as i have my pistol purchase permit and have a clean gun ..all they can do is really run the number and send me on my way...i hope..lol and one other question i was told two diffrent things on when traveling with the gun..they said the loaded mag needs to be in the trunk...and one says it needs to be in the gun in open few. Now this was two diffrent charlotte sheriffs officers. So you see why im confused...lol...i just want to be able to go to the range and with my during long trips with my family..and know that im not in the wrong...thanks for helping me

09jisaac

So yes or no does the person im buying the gun from have to take my purchase permit when i purchase the gun? or do i keep that and he gets a copy? I have heard it both ways...sorry to be confusing. And good that i dont have to put it into my name...because the gun is clean. so as long as i have my pistol purchase permit and have a clean gun ..all they can do is really run the number and send me on my way...i hope..lol and one other question i was told two diffrent things on when traveling with the gun..they said the loaded mag needs to be in the trunk...and one says it needs to be in the gun in open few. Now this was two diffrent charlotte sheriffs officers. So you see why im confused...lol...i just want to be able to go to the range and with my during long trips with my family..and know that im not in the wrong...thanks for helping me

My advice is to take everything that an LEO says with a grain of salt. Most think that just because they are LEOs means that you should believe them without question. Find someone from your state/city on this forum that is willing to cite what he/she says to back it up. Idk if you have a "gutshot" in your state but you're bound to have someone there that knows the laws.

okboomer

So, maybe you didn't understand my first post reply ... ASK IN THE NORTH CAROLINA FORUM where you will get citations of applicable law and discussions on where/when/how they are applied in specific counties/cities.

papa bear

maybe a moderator could move it

but until then. NCGLOCK22 first welcome to the forum and also i assume to NC. you are reffering to the stupid, bigoted and racily motivated pile of crap, :cuss: Pistol Purchase Permit. the idea is that the seller (which according to the stupid in Raleigh, should never be a private sell) keeps the original this covers that you are legally able to purchase and for the seller to know who they sold it to ( CYA for them, which is not a bad idea) but it does not indicate what gun you bought or even if you didn't buy one. one thing you need to be aware of that this is for handguns and not for long guns. i have seen a few sheriffs around the Charlotte area trying to tell people that it is for long guns too. if one tells you that, please let GRNC know.

i actual got pulled over today and a LEO wanted to take possession of my gun. i refused on the grounds of safety and we both came to the mutual agreement that i would keep my hands in view and we left it on the seat.

there is no requirement in NC for it to be unloaded weather it is in view or concealed in the vehicle. actually i think it is a good thing that all guns be considered loaded. now SC is another story later we will discuss what is concealed in your vehicle in the NC forum
remember don't trust anything that someone tells you online till you have a chance to verify it through official sources http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/homePage.pl http://nraila.org/
handgunlaws.com
GRNC.org
NCGo_Org