• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seattle Police Department is changing its policies and standards

FMCDH

It strikes me that their change of "polices & standards" is an admittance of guilt.

They should have been able to figure out on their own a long time ago that the way they were handling the public would result in this. The top brass need to be replaced regardless of any "policy & standard" changes.

I fully believe this is a CYA move, and not due to some new revelation on how better to do business.

Dave_pro2a

I can imagine a similar spin was used when they developed their current practices: "This time we'll get it right, real honest to God positive change -- so these egregious abuses will never happen again."

Btw, I am currently listing a used bridge on Ebay. You should check my listing: Awesome bridge on Ebay, dirt cheap! Free shipping!

Last edited:

Metalhead47

I can imagine a similar spin was used when they developed their current practices: "This time we'll get it right, real honest to God positive change -- so these egregious abuses will never happen again."

Btw, I am currently listing a used bridge on Ebay. You should check my listing: Awesome bridge on Ebay, dirt cheap! Free shipping!

Hey what gives?? I click on that link expecting to see a nice bridge and instead it's some place trying to sell me a credit card & an app?? :mad:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave_pro2a

Hey what gives?? I click on that link expecting to see a nice bridge and instead it's some place trying to sell me a credit card & an app?? :mad:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weird. I click on it and it takes me right where's it's supposed to... to a picture of a super sexy cowgirl holding a couple of Ruger Single 6s. What gives?

amlevin

Quote from article:

Police Chief John Diaz also will create a force review board.

So what will be new? Just Police investigating Police like they already do. Why not not an independent "board" consisting mostly of non Police with a legal adviser and one representative from the Police force to present the cases?

Rather than let the Chief create it, make it completely arms length from the PD. Let their "employers" conduct the review(s).

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Quote from article:

So what will be new?

Rather than let the Chief create it, make it completely arms length from the PD. Let their "employers" conduct the review(s).

An actual "independent Review Board" Now what fun would that be?? ((Sarcasm out of battery))

MadHatter66

As I understand, Seattle already has a citizen review board. Unfortunately they have no balls and their findings are subject to discretion as to whether or not anything is done.

Actually I think I have heard they have a Citizen review board... So lets give them some real teeth to do something. I am normally pretty pro-LE as I know a lot of good cops... But Seattle PD is one reason that I stay the hell out of Seattle... The other is that its really hard to wash the liberal off when you get home... Just makes you feel slimy...

Metalhead47

But Seattle PD is one reason that I stay the hell out of Seattle... The other is that its really hard to wash the liberal off when you get home... Just makes you feel slimy...

Turpentine helps. Battery acid works good too, diluted ever so slightly with raw sewage (from outside Seattle of course)... the tingle tells you it's working, and it (usually) overpowers that stubborn unwashed-hippie smell too.

amlevin

Turpentine helps. Battery acid works good too, diluted ever so slightly with raw sewage (from outside Seattle of course)... the tingle tells you it's working, and it (usually) overpowers that stubborn unwashed-hippie smell too.

I've found that Single Malt Scotch works good too. I just consume enough so I don't really give a $h!t what they think or do in Seattle.

TechnoWeenie

As I understand, Seattle already has a citizen review board. Unfortunately they have no balls and their findings are subject to discretion as to whether or not anything is done.

Correct.

And something like 70% of their findings were dismissed by the chief, saying he disagreed with the board and/or the punishment, and since the board only makes recommendations, their recommendations were ignored.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
DOJ Report Slams SPD

http://www.king5.com/news/cities/se...eport-slams-Seattle-police-135728903.html?c=n

The investigation concluded:
  • When SPD officers use force, they do so in an unconstitutional manner nearly 20 percent of the time;
  • SPD officers too quickly resort to the use of impact weapons, such as batons and flashlights. When SPD officers use batons, 57 percent of the time it is either unnecessary or excessive;
  • SPD officers escalate situations, and use unnecessary or excessive force, when arresting individuals for minor offenses. This trend is pronounced in encounters with persons with mental illnesses or those under the influence of alcohol or drugs. This is problematic because SPD estimates that 70 percent of use of force encounters involve these populations.
  • Deficiencies in oversight, policies and training with regard to when and how to use force, report uses of force and use many impact weapons (such as batons and flashlights)
  • Failure of supervisors to provide oversight of the use of force by individual officers, including appropriate investigation and review of uses of force (notably, among the approximately 1,230 use of force reports from January 2009 to April 2011, only five were referred for “further review” at any level within SPD);
  • Ineffective systems of complaint investigation and adjudication;
  • An ineffective early intervention system and disciplinary system;
  • Inadequate policies and training with regard to pedestrian stops and biased policing; and
  • A failure to collect adequate data to assess biased policing allegations.

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
"This department isn't broken," Diaz(Seattle Police Chief) said in an interview.

I demand the resignation of Chief Diaz immediately. I hold the policies of the SPD responsible for the open carry death of First Nation member John T Williams.

Dave_pro2a

I love it when LEO fight their own.

It can expose the true nature of the beast, and it sometimes forces a temporary change in behavior.

badkarma

I agree. Diaz is done and needs to leave. He is a politician and not a very good one if you watch the news report. Their stench of authority has clouded their ability to actually learn the law and enforce it properly. Too many power hungry ******** who were picked on as kids and now feel their **** don't stink.

Last edited:

amlevin

A quick read of the announcement shows that Seattle could reduce their complaints of excessive force by 18% by just eliminating the 20 "worst offenders" that are only 1.5% of the total force.

Too bad the Union is really running the Department and there's little or no chance of getting rid of them unless they go out and "pull a Birk".