• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Ruling...doesn't sound good for open carry.....

glockowner

http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/ohio/ohndce/5:2011cv00939/175720/17/

Basically, the plaintiff was stopped in Cuyahoga Falls with a rifle and pistol, open carrying.

He was proned, his weapons removed, detained for 35 minutes, then released with his guns.

He sued CFs police, city etc. that his rights were violated.

His complaint was dismissed

However, the more interesting point is the US District Court's opinion held that he could have been charged with Disturbing the Peace. Read the cite of the law in the link above on page 5.

I guess, one should think carefully about getting charged with disturbing the peace....

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Not that I agree, in totality, with the ruling, but in reading the dismissal it becomes clear that this is a clear case of a pro se litigant not knowing what he was doing. In other words, bad case law.

If this guy appeals he will be, more than likely, sanctioned $1,000 bucks for filing a frivolous appeal.

eye95

I, for one,would like to hear Mike's take on this ruling. What specifically worries me is the court's opinion that the mere act of OC provides cause to believe that the carrier is probably about to disturb the peace and that the court could say that an appeal would be inappropriate. Shouldn't that be the call of the appeals court?

This ruling flies in the face of other recent rulings stating that the simple exercise of the RKBA is insufficient believe that the citizen is about to commit a crime.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to the forum!

The link you posted should elicit some lively discussion.

Slow-Clap.gif