• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gov. Walker Signs Castle Doctrine Bill

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Unless the "intruders" are shouting "Police!"

baldp8

and it's about time. All the liberal media is announcing that "Walker signs bill allowing homeowners to kill"...what a bunch of crap. Since I own a home, I can kill? I can just indiscriminately kill because I own a home. How about "Victims can now fight back without fear of imprisonment" ? Gimme a break! Even before today, I would not have hesitated. Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Some lib on Channel 3000's website:

"What if the person doing the break-in isn't armed. You would have just killed an unarmed person. You can't kill someone who isn't posing a mortal threat."

Well I sure as hades am not gonna sit down and discuss their intentions if they come in my house uninvited.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
I Looked...Is It In Effect Now Or At Some Later Date?

I read through the bill but it hasn't been updated yet and I couldn't find anything about when the law goes into effect.

So...does it become effective today or at some later date?

Anyone know for certain?

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
I read through the bill but it hasn't been updated yet and I couldn't find anything about when the law goes into effect.

So...does it become effective today or at some later date?

Anyone know for certain?
It sounds like it is in effect in ten working days or as soon as the Secretary of State publishes it, whichever comes first; but IANAL....
SECTION 3.0 Initial applicability.
(1) This act first applies to a use of force that occurs
on the effective date of this subsection.
* Section 991.11, WISCONSIN STATUTES 2009−10 : Effective date of acts. “Every act and every portion of an act enacted by the legislature over
the governor’s partial veto which does not expressly prescribe the time when it takes effect shall take effect on the day after its date of publication
as designated” by the secretary of state [the date of publication may not be more than 10 working days after the date of enactment].

Last edited:
M

McX

a day that will live in infamy for the criminals at least, as they will never have the opportunity to Pearl Harbor a gun toting law abiding citizen.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Thanks Dave! Very Informative Post!

OK. I wasn't sure when it went into effect since not one single NEWS agency has mentioned it. So now anyone watching the NEWS or hearing of this will automatically assume the legal protections of this law are already in effect when in fact they are not.

See how much people can learn on this site? With the passing of the concealed carry law in July and how it went into effect I knew better than to assume this law was instantly put into effect. Heck, in Florida our Castle Doctrine law took months to go into effect but the date of effect was actually published in the bill and became knowledge the day the governor signed it.

Why can't our NEWS agencies and our government tell the public when laws actually goes into effect?