Thread: Holster Question

Holster Question

I'm looking to get a new OC holster. I want something like a Safariland duty holster that requires a snap to be released and a distinct motion to remove the gun, such as rocked the gun forward then back to access it. Are there any holsters out there like this that would not require me to wear a duty belt? Thanks
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

The Safariland ALS is GREAT for an open carry holster. I think its a "SERPA" killer. The thumb button is VERY natural when getting a positive grip on the gun before you draw. Unfortunately you really want that rock motion and this doesn't have it.

IMO, in a SHTF OMG I NEED TO DRAW AND SHOOT SITUATION - I feel that it would be easy for your brain to forget that rocking motion and after gripping the gun and hitting the button (you can't NOT hit it if you grab your gun) you may find yourself left tugging on a holstered gun.
    ^this is purely MY opinion and if you feel training and drawing A LOT will program it into muscle memory, well then - you go girl.
    Last edited by Schlitz; 12-07-2011 at 06:49 PM.
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

Unfortunately not every Safariland Holster has the ALS. Many have the SLS locking system. A couple have both. Check the "will fit" charts on their web site

Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    Unfortunately not every Safariland Holster has the ALS. Many have the SLS locking system. A couple have both. Check the "will fit" charts on their web site
    Right....I'm talking about the Safariland ALS holster O_o

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/p....aspx?pid=6377
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

Cool Safariland holsters Rule !!

I have probably a grand worth of safariland ALS/SLS holsters, my favorite concealed holster is the 6377 or 6378. It has the button for your thumb to pull which rocks/releases a nub that holds on your barrel shroud. It audibly clicks into place when you re-holster. They have different holsters, and these are the ones used by most law enforcement.

They are very much worth the money if they work for you. They are not always easy to find, especially if you are left handed. Try a police supply store or go over to safarilands' website safariland dot com and they have a web selling site called holsters dot com. I ordered the other day 2 left handed 6378 holsters for full sized 1911 pistols. I have these and much more for my glock 21 pistols.

Get at least one holster for your weak hand...... never know when you hurt your hand you will thank yourself for being ready.

When SHTF there will be literally millions of people looking to barter for a good holster...... so dont be afraid to have some extras. Each one of my pistols has minimum one holster each.

if your holster has screws, use blue or red threadlocker so they dont work loose.

Beltwise, you arent going to get away using a stiff belt. There are many kinds of belts intended as gun belts that dont look like one.... look around and see whats good for you. personally, I prefer the beefy nylon blackhawk belts for both my work and casual wear. they hold a 1911 extremely well and do not have the plastic insert inside the belt that invariably breaks at the belt holes.

carrying a holster isnt always comfortable...................... but it's very comforting !!!

Smile Oh BTW......

Oh BTW.... I forgot to mention that with my order last week I got a neato free safariland hat black, (2 actually -- one for each holster), a couple stickers, and a free plastic 9mm mag pouch....

Thanks. I was already looking at Safari. I'm looking at getting Model 6377 ALS® Belt Holster and the ALS Guard for it.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.

Awesome selection of all kinds of holsters here >>> http://www.fobusholster.com/ <<< (I won't use anything else but a Fobus) ... ...

Safariland and Blackhawk SERPA holsters are made in the USA.

Fobus holsters are made in Israel.

Just FYI, in case the country of origin is something that effects your purchasing decisions...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Good thinking there on a decent retention holster. Safariland is a great company.
    That said, I went with an Uncle Mike Pro-3 triple retention duty holster to carry my Ruger P-89 9mm which is my daily Open Carry weapon. The Uncle Mike line of holsters has a good reputation and the Pro-3 just happened to be on sale for %50 off at a police supply store when I dropped in one day. So I couldn't pass it up. The Pro-3 came with a "jacket slot" belt mount but I didn't like the way it road on my hip. It put the gun too far out away from my hip and down too low. I like to keep my elbow/arm resting on or over my pistol for added awareness/retention when carrying and the jacket slot belt mount didn't let me do that. I looked around online and found a place selling the optional "High ride" belt mount and after putting it on the holster I am much happier with it. The Pro-3 uses a tension screw, a top strap and an internal hook which holds onto the front of trigger guard. To remove the pistol you unsnap the top strap, grab the gun and push down slightly and pull/twist the gun in toward your body, then lift up and out of the holster. Just pulling up won't release it and if someone tries to snatch it by pulling it up and away from you it won't release.

Quote Originally Posted by yale View Post
    Good thinking there on a decent retention holster. Safariland is a great company.
    That said, I went with an Uncle Mike Pro-3 triple retention duty holster to carry my Ruger P-89 9mm which is my daily Open Carry weapon. The Uncle Mike line of holsters has a good reputation and the Pro-3 just happened to be on sale for %50 off at a police supply store when I dropped in one day. So I couldn't pass it up. The Pro-3 came with a "jacket slot" belt mount but I didn't like the way it road on my hip. It put the gun too far out away from my hip and down too low. I like to keep my elbow/arm resting on or over my pistol for added awareness/retention when carrying and the jacket slot belt mount didn't let me do that. I looked around online and found a place selling the optional "High ride" belt mount and after putting it on the holster I am much happier with it. The Pro-3 uses a tension screw, a top strap and an internal hook which holds onto the front of trigger guard. To remove the pistol you unsnap the top strap, grab the gun and push down slightly and pull/twist the gun in toward your body, then lift up and out of the holster. Just pulling up won't release it and if someone tries to snatch it by pulling it up and away from you it won't release.
    That does seem nice. I didn't want a holster made for a duty belt though because I don't wear one. I got my Safariland yesterday and I like it. The release button on the side digs into my hip a little bit but I just adjust my shirt and it helps cushion it. Other than that I'm very happy with it. I believe it will be much harder to get the gun out of the holster versus my Blackhawk CQC holster.

I converted 2 duty holsters to high rides that fit only a 1.5 belt with a 1.5 UBL. Safariland makes a 1.5 UBL for about 10 bucks. Fits just right

Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    I didn't want a holster made for a duty belt though because I don't wear one.
    I don't often wear a duty belt. My Pro-3 fits just fine on my regular 1.5" leather belt that I wear with my jeans and work slacks.
    Last edited by sraacke; 12-15-2011 at 02:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    I converted 2 duty holsters to high rides that fit only a 1.5 belt with a 1.5 UBL. Safariland makes a 1.5 UBL for about 10 bucks. Fits just right
    Good to know. I prob would have gotten the duty holster but oh well I'm very happy with the retention and the holster as a whole. And I got it for $30 free shipping.

Got this from Copquest

Safariland 567BL Belt Loop - Adjustable Angle Fit

The Safariland 567BL is a universal high-ride belt loop for 3-hole T-pattern holsters. The adapter modifies the fit of the holsters from a low ride (1 1/2-inch drop) to a high ride.
    This loop allows adjustable angle fit for cross-draw applications. It is available as a 2.25-inch belt loop for standard Sam Browne belts and is also available in a 1.5-inch belt loop with cutouts that can be modified for 1.75, 2.0 and 2.25-inch belt widths.
    Features:
    • Adjustable for cross-draw applications
    • Available in three sizes

if you are looking for a steal of deal on safariland duty holsters, check ebay. I literally just bought a used level 3 duty holster for $17 with shipping included... it's not an ALS but I couldn't pass it up knowing that it retails at 149. I think he had about 15 left yesterday and there are a few days left on the auction.hope this helps!....just don't get addicted to ebay and blow all your money... it's sooooo easy to do!

Andy

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Shame on me... I am instantly assuming you carry a Glock 22 haha that's my bad, I have no idea what you carry! anyway cruise thru Ebay and see if u can find yourself a deal.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by andylatham99 View Post
    Shame on me... I am instantly assuming you carry a Glock 22 haha that's my bad, I have no idea what you carry! anyway cruise thru Ebay and see if u can find yourself a deal.

Andy

Funny thing is, I do carry a Glock 22.