• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nation Association for Gun Rights Report on the 2012 Candidates

Redbaron007

Yet two of the seven candidates had no problems responded to it.

Three candidates, one who just recently dropped out, Cain. Again, politically, they are not viable candidates at this time or probably will be.

Well, I can point you in the right direction. Beyond that, it's up to you.
Thanks! :D

Interesting claim. I trust this guy, though:
Dear Since9:

Just a quick note to let you know how important your membership is in the National Association for Gun Rights.

NAGR is the fastest growing and most effective gun rights group in America.

I’m a member, and you should be too!

Sincerely,

For liberty,

The Hon. Rand Paul
U.S. Senator (R-KY)

Congrats on your membership and your personal message from Mr. Paul. IIRC, NAGR boasted having 300,000 members; the NRA 4.3 million. What has NAGR done?

The NAGR? Cite, please.

No, not NAGR. I was responding to your allegation that
As between 3/5 and 4/5 of all Americans, including many liberals, support gun rights, I seriously doubt it.
I then responded with
But what gun rights do they support? Their definition of gun rights and our definition are two different things. I have friends that support the 2A; however, they feel everyone should register their gun and have training. That's their definition of gun rights. So, when they sign this survey that pledges to undo potentially what they support, do you think the media and the libs will let that slide?
See, a survey of gun rights is sometimes misleading, without knowing what they mean by 'gun rights'.

Ron Paul responded. Seen the latest polls? He's catching up to Gingrich, fast, and Gingrich has slid somewhat in the polls.

The only poll he is out of single digits is the single state Iowa polls. Not necessarily a barometer for anything, since it changes daily significantly.

It's actually a science, but the way it's practiced is usually more like an art.
It's more like a baseball game (you could also use football), you are either on offense or defense; you hope your hits score for your team.....but then you hope you can prevent the long ball and catch the others to prevent a score. You want to score more against them then they score against you.:D

ken243

E-mail from Mitt

Hey folks, I wondered about this too so I sent out a email to all the canidates asking about their 2A views. This is the only response I have had. They were sent out November 2nd. I got this back on Nov. 30th.

Thank you for contacting me about the important issue of gun ownership and the constitutional right to keep and bear arms. I appreciate your interest in my campaign for president and would like to thank you for taking the time to share your views with me.

First, I support the Second Amendment as one of the most basic and fundamental rights of every American. The right to bear arms is essential to our functioning free society. I am proud to count myself as one of the many honest, law-abiding citizens who uses firearms responsibly.

I do not believe in adding any more laws to restrict the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms. I resolutely believe in the significance of proper gun ownership and sales. I understand that there are those in this country who wish to remove all guns from our society, but understand I stand firmly against that view. While many in Washington do not, I recognize that there is a difference between law-abiding gun owners and criminals that wish to do harm. Those who choose to use a firearm during the commission of a crime must be punished to the full extent of the law. With that said, we should provide law enforcement with the proper resources to punish and deter criminals, not inconvenience lawful gun owners.

As governor of one of the most liberal states in the country, I was proud to support legislation that expanded the rights of gun owners. I worked hard to advance the ability of law-abiding citizens to purchase and own firearms. I stood against liberal desires to create bureaucracy intended to burden gun owners and sportsmen.

I believe that the support of pro-Second Amendment and sportsmen’s groups in my previous runs for office are a testament to my support of the Second Amendment. As governor, I designated May 7th as “The Right to Bear Arms” Day in Massachusetts to honor law-abiding citizens, like yourself, and their right to “use firearms in defense of their families, persons, and property for all lawful purposes, including common defense.” As president, I will fight the battle on all fronts to preserve the Second Amendment.

I am running for president because I believe in America and know that our best days are still ahead. I believe that the principles that made America the leader of the world today—freedom, opportunity, and free enterprise to name just a few—are the very principles that will keep America the leader of the world tomorrow. These last few years have not been the best of times. But while we’ve lost a couple of years, we can still get back on the right track.

Again, thank you for contacting me. I encourage you to visit my website at www.MittRomney.com for updated information on other issues that may be of interest to you. I look forward to hearing from you in the future and earning your support.

Sincerely,

Mitt Romney

DangerClose

Here's some more words from Mitt:
The 2004 bill enacted a permanent ban on assault weapons -- reportedly the first such state law in the country. "These guns are not made for recreation or self-defense," the Boston Globe quoted Romney as saying at the time. "They are instruments of destruction with the sole purpose of hunting down and killing people."

Just another case of guns are fine as long as you're wearing orange, I guess.

PistolPackingMomma

That response from Romney (written by either a bot or intern) reeks of political double talk. Between the lines I saw "yes, I support everything you support, and look, I did all these things for you. America is great, blah blah blah, other things to garner your trust, blah blah blah, VOTE FOR ME!"

rushcreek2

So I visited Ron Paul's website today in order to try to understand why he has so much support - despite the fact that he "has no chance of being the GOP nominee, or beating B.O." (according to all of the talking heads in the media).

Now I understand where his supporters are coming from.. I found that I agree with Ron Paul on every issue, and made a donation to his campaign fund.