• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bill Proposal~ Felony for Carrying Handgun ON Gas Station Property

msteinhilber

Aside from carrying a handgun, the bill also makes it a felony if you cause damage to gas station property - hope you don't accidentally back into part of their building :banghead:

MKEgal

No "reasoning" & poorly written. Too broad of application.

Under this bill, with certain exceptions, a person is guilty of a felony if he or she goes armed with a handgun on the premises of a gas station. A person who is convicted of the felony may be fined up to $10,000, imprisoned for up to three years and six months, or both.

Under current law, a person who causes damage to another's property is generally guilty of a misdemeanor. Under this bill, if the property is a gas station, the person is guilty of a felony and is subject to a fine of up to $10,000, imprisonment of up to three years and six months, or both.
Why is this class of private property so much more special than any other private property?

The bill exempts any LEO (on or off duty) & what appears to be ex-LEO who qualify under LEOSA, on-duty military, corrections, & people whom the owner or manager allow to carry. So 2A-friendly places would have to post signs welcoming customers, instead of unfriendly places posting signs turning away customers.

Also, under current law, a person who commits theft is guilty of a crime and the penalty varies by the value of the property taken, the victim of the theft, or the circumstances.
Under this bill, if the theft is from a gas station, the person is guilty of a felony and is subject to a fine of up to $10,000, imprisonment of up to six years, or both.
So it's possible that for stealing a pack of gum, someone could lose civil rights for life.
Idiotic.

And did you notice the bill is dated 07DEC11 but has an effective date of 01NOV11 "or the day after publication, whichever is later"?

Joe, there is an exception for unloaded & encased.

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
Partial quote:

The bill exempts any LEO (on or off duty) & what appears to be ex-LEO who qualify under LEOSA, on-duty military, corrections, & people whom the owner or manager allow to carry. So 2A-friendly places would have to post signs welcoming customers, instead of unfriendly places posting signs turning away customers.

Sinicki's and Krusick's neighboring district likely has more Milwaukee cops living in them than all the rest of Milwaukee combined.

Last edited:

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
Aside from carrying a handgun, the bill also makes it a felony if you cause damage to gas station property - hope you don't accidentally back into part of their building :banghead:

And how many times have you seen a vehicle cruising down the road with the fuel delivery hose still hanging out of the fuel-fill neck? So grandma forgets to put the hose back, drives off, and now she gets 36 months in the federal penitentiary under this bill??

What I would like to know is what prompted the authoring of this idiotic bill in the first place!!
Do they expect fuel prices to increase that much??

BROKENSPROKET

And how many times have you seen a vehicle cruising down the road with the fuel delivery hose still hanging out of the fuel-fill neck? So grandma forgets to put the hose back, drives off, and now she gets 36 months in the federal penitentiary under this bill??

What I would like to know is what prompted the authoring of this idiotic bill in the first place!!

I would like to see a public hearing on this crazy bill just to find out. Then Exec. it and vote it down.

HandyHamlet

How about we just prosecute the people who commit the real felonies at a gas station to the fullest extent of the law... rather than giving them some time, a slap on the ass and some probation for them to return to society as a "rehabilitated" career criminal.

This is what Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clark Jr. has been saying. And saying. And saying. And saying. And saying. And saying.

But what does he know?

scorpio_vette

How about we just prosecute the people who commit the real felonies at a gas station to the fullest extent of the law... rather than giving them some time, a slap on the ass and some probation for them to return to society as a "rehabilitated" career criminal.

quit talking sense. this is the REAL WORLD. only crazy thoughts will be considered.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
Hey, how about making it a felony for a politician to lie? I would prefer to make it a hanging offense, but we can work on that part....

29vtoi.jpg

This is now the 2nd time I agree with you 100% :)

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Or the value of a USDollar to decrease so. Look at it as this

The value of a barrel of oil
------------------------- = constant
The value of a US dollar

The valuation of the United States is roughly constant, divided by the number of USDollars is the US value per dollar. When OPEC, and their oil company clients in the US, declare the cost of a barrel of their product in USDollars then they are very much declaring the value of our dollars.

Another way: once upon a time a "living wage" was a few dollars per hour. I have demanded a hundred dollars per hour as 'wage'. Which changed, the value of labor or the value of the exchange unit?

Last edited:

wild boar

To Committee Chair...

rep.bies@legis.wisconsin.gov

Rep Bies, Committee Chair for Criminal Justice and Corrections. Sir I've spoken with Rep. Zepnick's office regarding the crux of his proposed bill, number 406. This bill is in your committee now, and I would like to offer some thoughts on the matter. The alleged purpose for this is the "Flash Mob" violence that has escalated in Milwaukee. There was Summer Fest, the State Fair, Shopping Malls, ect...
How many of these acts were perpetrated by open carriers? None, that I know of, Further, none have taken place since the enactment of ACT-35.
There are laws that cover these acts now, what they have to do with ACT-35, and the lawful carry of handguns I don't know.
As an enhancer to existing law you could include, any crime perpetrated by the act to overpower with superior numbers will be defined as a crime committed while going armed. This could be used in an act where there would be one more bad guy than victim. To be more specificity it could include anything used as a weapon, including superior numbers, and cover all crimes, robbery, theft, or property damage Thank you for your time, boar out.

Last edited:

wild boar

When I use “WE”, in my contacts with the state’s government, I do not purport to be speaking for no more than myself, and one other member whose views mirror those of mine. If anyone has been offended, I apologize, it was never my intent.

I post on O.C.D.O. as a member, not a spokesperson, this is a fact, and is known by those whom I correspond with. The reason for me posting is to inform, and inject concern that will hopefully grow to thought, then action with a like purpose from both sides. It is my belief that an action untaken may lead to a right lost, so write soon, and write often. Boar out.

AUTHORS OF AB-406 Rep.Zepnick@legis.wisconsin.gov Rep.Sinicki@legis.wisconsin.gov
Committee on Criminal Justice and Corrections
Committee Chairperson Rep.Bies@legis.wisconsin.gov

Last edited:

wild boar

Phone call from senator wanggaard...

12-10, 1400Hrs Received call from Senator Wanggaard regarding AB-237. The Senator was very convincing with his voiced concerns over any lose of rights to any citizen while the bill was in his Committee. He further mentioned that assurances for law enforcements ability to effectively perform their duties where also a consideration. While addressing the concerns, “peoples Rights”, and justice for enforcement, the gravity of AB-237, as presented, weighted heavy, and is should now be viewed as a mute issue. I see this as a win, win, and Senator Wanggaard should be thanked for his Constitutional awareness. As told, it is reported. Boar out. Sen.Wanggaard@legis.wisconsin.gov

wild boar

TO AUTHORS OF 406, REP Zepnick & Sinicki

I don’t know what you think has changed so drastically in the States political atmosphere that this run around the State, and Federal Constitution you call AB-406 has a chance.
You claim to have a problem with “flash mobs”, and conceder this to be the remedy. There is an element of the population that has been responsible for these “mobs”, and they were not lawful, vetted, and licensed hand gun carriers.
You will never solve the people’s problems by forming a police state; you simply don’t scare the responsible actors, and never will. If you think the internet is fast, try to catch one of those players, they’ll have their felony fliers smoking.
We have, and will continue to be in touch with Rep. Bies, the Committee Chair where AB-406 resides at this time. As things develop we will remain vigilant in our Constitutional quest that defies your tyrannical attempts to dictate justice. Forever on our minds, the carry class of people.