Thread: concealed in a car, no case....

concealed in a car, no case....

Hi Guys -

I wasn't sure how to title this thread. Anyways, I've got a small, cable tied guns safe in my car for those time I need to store it due to posting. If I'm with another person, in THEIR vehicle, and they don't have a CCW permit, can I put my firearm in their glove box for storage while we are away from the vehicle or would that get the other person in trouble for having a firearm not in a locked case since they don't have a CCW permit?

What do you think? A problem or not?

Much thanks!
    Joe
    Joe
    Brooklyn, WI
    supporting Member #123

McX
    things i have considered that may be of help or not;

mag with me is a given, no keys to the car left so to speak.

novel storage, weak i expect for me, maybe ram that sucker down into s seat crack, or under the seat like jammed up in there. no case, no holster visible. no gun on board sign. mosty i wont go to where i am not welcome.

well,,,

it is not concealed,,, it is stored in a locked box!

let your friend get out first and lock his door, then put your gun in the glove box, then you get out and lock your door...

now the gun is stored in a BIG locked box.

when you both return, unlock your door, take position of the gun, let your friend get in the car too.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Herr Heckler Koch
    Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    it is not concealed,,, it is stored in a locked box!
    To “go armed” does not require going anywhere. The elements for a violation of
    s. 941.23 are: 1) a dangerous weapon is on the defendant’s person or within reach;
    2) the defendant is aware of the weapon’s presence; and 3) the weapon is hidden.
    State v. Keith, 175 Wis. 2d 75, 498 N.W.2d 865 (Ct. App. 1993).

A handgun on the seat of a car that was indiscernible from ordinary observation
    by a person outside, and within the immediate vicinity, of the vehicle was hidden from
    view for purposes of determining whether the gun was a concealed weapon under this
    section. State v. Walls, 190 Wis. 2d 65, 526 N.W.2d 765 (Ct. App. 1994).

Regular Member oliverclotheshoff's Avatar
    he who has the keys is in control of the vehicle and in control of the content of the vehicle even though the owner is right there with you just hang on to the keys until you are back in possesion of your firearm problem solved
    Last edited by oliverclotheshoff; 12-08-2011 at 01:17 PM.
    SCOTT

"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns"

"When seconds count police are minutes away"

"Dialing 911 only takes seconds but waiting for help may take the rest of your life"

http://g2-elite.com/phpbb/index.php Shed Hunting

A small gun sock or tie shut cloth case would also work just fine, we use to carry these hunting so that if you got out to a road and got picked up by a truck other than the one your gun case was in, you just pulled the thin rolled up fabric gun case from your coat pocket and slid your gun in hopped in that truck an caught a ride back to camp.

new laws a hand gun does not have to be inaccessible from the driver only unloaded and encased . or case it up have them pop the trunk and lock it in there if it makes you feel better

Herr Heckler Koch

Citation please.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCountyPete View Post
    new laws a hand gun does not have to be inaccessible from the driver only unloaded and encased
    Wisc. Stats. § 941.23 is still law binding on all but for the excepted circumstances. Without a CCL concealment is illegal. The elements of concealment are noted above, copied from the annotations to Wisconsin's Statute law and with legal captions, that include citation to the case that determined a gun on the seat of a car to be concealed.
    Last edited by Herr Heckler Koch; 12-08-2011 at 04:39 PM.

i thought the intent of the law was make it so even those with out a CCL could carry in a way that they could be armed when leaving the car

hey it's the law i was apparently naive for thinking it would make sense , i will not argue , it appears you should case your gun and lock it in the trunk if a friend is driving and you have to leave it in their car

what do i know, the mini van nor the passenger van have a trunk i just lived dangerously all these years and put the gun in the back cased and unloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Heckler Koch View Post
    To “go armed” does not require going anywhere. The elements for a violation of
    s. 941.23 are: 1) a dangerous weapon is on the defendant’s person or within reach;
    2) the defendant is aware of the weapon’s presence; and 3) the weapon is hidden.
    State v. Keith, 175 Wis. 2d 75, 498 N.W.2d 865 (Ct. App. 1993).

A handgun on the seat of a car that was indiscernible from ordinary observation
    by a person outside, and within the immediate vicinity, of the vehicle was hidden from
    view for purposes of determining whether the gun was a concealed weapon under this
    section. State v. Walls, 190 Wis. 2d 65, 526 N.W.2d 765 (Ct. App. 1994).
    if gun is in a case it is not within reach

DNR FAQ on new transportation law

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/es/enforcement/act51_faq.htm

A lot has changed so lets keep up with current law.