• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

concealed in a car, no case....

64Impala

Hi Guys -

I wasn't sure how to title this thread. Anyways, I've got a small, cable tied guns safe in my car for those time I need to store it due to posting. If I'm with another person, in THEIR vehicle, and they don't have a CCW permit, can I put my firearm in their glove box for storage while we are away from the vehicle or would that get the other person in trouble for having a firearm not in a locked case since they don't have a CCW permit?

What do you think? A problem or not?

Much thanks!
Joe

M

McX

things i have considered that may be of help or not;

mag with me is a given, no keys to the car left so to speak.

novel storage, weak i expect for me, maybe ram that sucker down into s seat crack, or under the seat like jammed up in there. no case, no holster visible. no gun on board sign. mosty i wont go to where i am not welcome.

1245A Defender

well,,,

it is not concealed,,, it is stored in a locked box!

let your friend get out first and lock his door, then put your gun in the glove box, then you get out and lock your door...

now the gun is stored in a BIG locked box.

when you both return, unlock your door, take position of the gun, let your friend get in the car too.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

it is not concealed,,, it is stored in a locked box!

To “go armed” does not require going anywhere. The elements for a violation of
s. 941.23 are: 1) a dangerous weapon is on the defendant’s person or within reach;
2) the defendant is aware of the weapon’s presence; and 3) the weapon is hidden.
State v. Keith, 175 Wis. 2d 75, 498 N.W.2d 865 (Ct. App. 1993).

A handgun on the seat of a car that was indiscernible from ordinary observation
by a person outside, and within the immediate vicinity, of the vehicle was hidden from
view for purposes of determining whether the gun was a concealed weapon under this
section. State v. Walls, 190 Wis. 2d 65, 526 N.W.2d 765 (Ct. App. 1994).

oliverclotheshoff

he who has the keys is in control of the vehicle and in control of the content of the vehicle even though the owner is right there with you just hang on to the keys until you are back in possesion of your firearm problem solved

Last edited:

GreenCountyPete

A small gun sock or tie shut cloth case would also work just fine, we use to carry these hunting so that if you got out to a road and got picked up by a truck other than the one your gun case was in, you just pulled the thin rolled up fabric gun case from your coat pocket and slid your gun in hopped in that truck an caught a ride back to camp.

new laws a hand gun does not have to be inaccessible from the driver only unloaded and encased . or case it up have them pop the trunk and lock it in there if it makes you feel better

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Citation please.

new laws a hand gun does not have to be inaccessible from the driver only unloaded and encased
Wisc. Stats. § 941.23 is still law binding on all but for the excepted circumstances. Without a CCL concealment is illegal. The elements of concealment are noted above, copied from the annotations to Wisconsin's Statute law and with legal captions, that include citation to the case that determined a gun on the seat of a car to be concealed.

Last edited:

GreenCountyPete

i thought the intent of the law was make it so even those with out a CCL could carry in a way that they could be armed when leaving the car

hey it's the law i was apparently naive for thinking it would make sense , i will not argue , it appears you should case your gun and lock it in the trunk if a friend is driving and you have to leave it in their car

what do i know, the mini van nor the passenger van have a trunk i just lived dangerously all these years and put the gun in the back cased and unloaded

WD57

To “go armed” does not require going anywhere. The elements for a violation of
s. 941.23 are: 1) a dangerous weapon is on the defendant’s person or within reach;
2) the defendant is aware of the weapon’s presence; and 3) the weapon is hidden.
State v. Keith, 175 Wis. 2d 75, 498 N.W.2d 865 (Ct. App. 1993).

A handgun on the seat of a car that was indiscernible from ordinary observation
by a person outside, and within the immediate vicinity, of the vehicle was hidden from
view for purposes of determining whether the gun was a concealed weapon under this
section. State v. Walls, 190 Wis. 2d 65, 526 N.W.2d 765 (Ct. App. 1994).

if gun is in a case it is not within reach