• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why Might You Need a Gun on Virginia Tech's Ultra-safe, Gun-free Campus?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I didn't have class today, but I have at least one buddy in lockdown on campus. This buddy is pissed he has been left defenseless. I would be too.

Personally, I think the school should be sued. This is far from the ideal case, however. And god forbid an ideal one ever comes along again.

VApatriot

I didn't have class today, but I have at least one buddy in lockdown on campus. This buddy is pissed he has been left defenseless. I would be too.

Personally, I think the school should be sued. This is far from the ideal case, however. And god forbid an ideal one ever comes along again.

Thankfully I've been at my off-campus apartment all day, and right now I have a .45 at my side and a Rem870 12ga. very close at hand.

I can't believe that Tech is already congratulating themselves on a quick response. The shooting reportedly happened just after noon, and the first alert wasn't sent out until 12:39pm - what a lot of good that did.

Last edited:

Neplusultra

The Collegiate Times is going to try to live tweet the press conference that is scheduled for 4:30PM

One thing I would like to know is what happens to all the students who are outside when the buildings are locked down? Are they stuck outside or are allowed into a building after a pat down?

USNA69

VT GFZ Policy

Let me preface my remarks by saying that I am saddened by the death of the victims, and I do not in any way mean to make light of the loss.

I have to wonder if VT would rethink their GFZ policy, if some lunatic dropped by one day and executed the starting line-up of the Hokie football team.

Just thinkin' out loud ...

JamesB

The Collegiate Times is going to try to live tweet the press conference that is scheduled for 4:30PM

One thing I would like to know is what happens to all the students who are outside when the buildings are locked down? Are they stuck outside or are allowed into a building after a pat down?

Personally I'd rather be "trapped" outside. If they ever announce "student lockdown for safety," I'm outa there.

scorpio_vette

it's called "not-my-problem". hey if you weren't fast enough to get somewhere safe before the doors were closed, then tough luck for you.

(that is not my thinking, but how i feel "most" people nowadays think)

i think that line from the movie without a paddle sums up todays coward human species fairly well "i don't have to outrun the bear, i only have to outrun you". people nowadays barely have any sense of self preservation left, they'd rather cower, hold their arms up and say "please don't hurt me" like that's going to work. you actually think those same people care about anybody else, let alone saving them. it's every man for himself nowadays.

sadly the days where people not only stood up, but stood up TOGETHER, and FOR EACH OTHER are long gone. people like that are "lone rangers" in comparison to how many people actually live on this planet.

very sad what this world has become. I often wonder how humans and not animals have become the dominant species on this planet. we're "supposed" to be smarter. but it seems we only use those smarts to our own harm.

so sad, so sad.

USNA69

In the face of another campus murder spree, these folks STILL just don't get it.

From the USA Today coverage:

Well I'll tell you, you smart University student:

It's called Gun Control: "A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own [or in this case carry] a gun [on campus]." -- Oldnoob

TFred

I am reminded of the excellent point made by one of the speakers on the video of the VCU rally.

Why does the (fill in school name) administration NOT TRUST a student to carry a gun, when that student is, in every other way, eligible and qualified and trusted by the Commonwealth of Virgina to carry a gun?
At the same time, why does the (fill in school name) administration TRUST every robber, rapist, and murderer to abide by their "GUN FREE ZONE" policy and signs?

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Personally I'd rather be "trapped" outside. If they ever announce "student lockdown for safety," I'm outa there.

First sensible response.

Being locked in somewhere is the last place you want to be.

They encourage it because it makes it easier on the police, not because it's any safer.

Ever heard of shooting fish in a barrel?

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
Seems ANTI Lori Haas is already out there on CBS6 talking about how this just shows the gun show loophole should be closed. And of course Massengill did the same.

Never too early for them to try and score political points.

2a4all

How many times have we said (recently on the VT campus) "...if only there had been someone there with a gun..."? Well, today there was, and he was the ideal armed respondent, to wit a police officer, who was killed by the very gunman that we all hoped he'd be able to stop...:(

So I guess that begs the question: "If he couldn't stop the assailant, why do we think that an armed student would fare any better?". It's a certainty that the No Guns On Campus policy didn't phase him one bit, nor did it help the dead policeman or student.:eek:

And of course there are the yet-to-be-answered questions of "Where did he get the gun?" and "Did he have a CHP?"

Pushing that rock up the hill of self defense just got a lot harder.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Who needs a gun at VT

Two People Dead In Virginia Tech Shooting December 8, 2011 1:15 PM http://washington.cbslocal.com/2011/12/08/shots-reported-fired-on-virginia-tech-campus/ RICHMOND, Va. (CBS Washington/AP) – A massive manhunt is underway for a gunman who killed two people, including a police officer, on the Virginia Tech campus following a traffic stop. The suspect remains at large despite earlier reports of the gunman being apprehended.

oops already posted

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
How many times have we said (recently on the VT campus) "...if only there had been someone there with a gun..."? Well, today there was, and he was the ideal armed respondent, to wit a police officer, who was killed by the very gunman that we all hoped he'd be able to stop...:(

So I guess that begs the question: "If he couldn't stop the assailant, why do we think that an armed student would fare any better?". It's a certainty that the No Guns On Campus policy didn't phase him one bit, nor did it help the dead policeman or student.:eek:

And of course there are the yet-to-be-answered questions of "Where did he get the gun?" and "Did he have a CHP?"

Not really. The "armed respondent" was a cop carrying out a traffic stop, an event which probably precipitated this whole affair.

The shooter was probably a drug dealer, or wanted for a recent crime. This happens all the time, and it has nothing to do with citizen self-defense, or with shooting sprees, or anything except for some dude trying to avoid being arrested.

Last edited:

VApatriot

All this proves is that there is nothing you can do (aside from locking everyone in their own padded rooms) to prevent these types of sick acts.

I don't suspect that there will be any calls to disarm campus police after this.

2a4all

Not really. The "armed respondent" was a cop carrying out a traffic stop, an event which probably precipitated this whole affair.

The shooter was probably a drug dealer, or wanted for a recent crime. This happens all the time, and it has nothing to do with citizen self-defense, or with shooting sprees, or anything except for some dude trying to avoid being arrested.
At the risk of contradicting myself, I think your description is the likely scenario, and if it had happened anywhere else, we wouldn't be talking about it.

The rock I referred to is the weight of public opinion.

Last edited: