• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why Might You Need a Gun on Virginia Tech's Ultra-safe, Gun-free Campus?

Dreamer

I'm telling you, it's spooky.
I can't find any of the usual social networking or for that matter...anyone at Radford that even knew him.

I can always find at least one cop who is a blabbermouth, not this time. I found out about the gun through another source.

I can't even find one student who claimed he almost killed him in the bathroom. Where are the publicity hounds?

I have someone on both campuses digging for me. It'll be interesting to see if they come up with something Fox news doesn't.

He was running for office in China...

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It has been said and truly so that there are only two ways to respond to the displaying of aggression towards others. One may attempt to reason with them, talk it out, have rational discourse, hope to convince them to cease and leave you alone. Unfortunately a dedicated predator is more likely to see that as a sign of weakness and press the attack - they are already breaking numerous laws that didn't dissuade them. What makes anyone think their words will be more compelling?

The other option is physical. You might be able to run away, leave seek other protection, but from a seriously motivated killer, I think not. What is left is a physical response that will stop the deadly threat in the shortest time and most effective way.

A full discussion of the notion here: http://munchkinwrangler.wordpress.com/2007/03/23/why-the-gun-is-civilization/

Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. If you want me to do something for you, you have a choice of either convincing me via argument, or force me to do your bidding under threat of force. Every human interaction falls into one of those two categories, without exception. Reason or force, that’s it.

Go read the rest of it - I'll wait till you are finished.

(No, Major Caudill, whoever the plagerizing fool is, never did write it. Don't get me started on that rant.)

As Marko (and everyone else who has allowed their brain to function) has said, you have a choice. We know what choice the BGs of the world have made, and we know precisely how well using reason works against their choice.

But there continue to be people who believe that the kingdom of peace will magically appear if we all just think happy thoughts. Hate to tell you, but kingdoms - no matter who is being installed on the throne - do not just appear because somebody wished it would. Someone has to force the opposition to listen to the voice of reason if they don't want the kingdom overthrown.

A personal note to Grape - MLK is always on a Monday. They put it there so folks would get a 4-day weekend instead of having to come back for one day, then get another day off, then go back to work again.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
He was running for office in China...

As good an explanation as any:uhoh:
The strangest thing I read about him was he ran down the hall. He was fairly athletic, not a social butterfly but not a hermit either, broke up with his girlfriend a while back but didn't seem devastated by it....just real odd.

He had just shaved his head. Maybe it was the Sampson Syndrome.

Last edited:

Dreamer

As good an explanation as any:uhoh:
The strangest thing I read about him was he ran down the hall. He was fairly athletic, not a social butterfly but not a hermit either, broke up with his girlfriend a while back but didn't seem devastated by it....just real odd.

He had just shaved his head. Maybe it was the Sampson Syndrome.

Running for office in China = "Manchurian Candidate".

Sorry about the obtuse movie reference. But it seems like there is a trend forming here in the region--last week in the mid-atlantic region at least 3 cops were shot during traffic stops or while serving warrants, and at least two of the shooters committed suicide. I'm combing the news files, to see if there were more.

But then again, it WAS a full moon, so maybe THAT has something to do with it...

Old Virginia Joe

What I would like to know is this: Are today's Va Tech police armed with a firearm when on patrol or not? Or, are they like I have heard of some places, including Great Britain, not carrying firearms, only mace and maybe a club? If I find out he was disarmed on duty, and left defenseless, I am going to be plenty fired up! It would not surprise me to find that the anti-gun administration up there has made such a policy.

Any one know for SURE?

OVJ
Hokie Alumnus

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
What I would like to know is this: Are today's Va Tech police armed with a firearm when on patrol or not? Or, are they like I have heard of some places, including Great Britain, not carrying firearms, only mace and maybe a club? If I find out he was disarmed on duty, and left defenseless, I am going to be plenty fired up! It would not surprise me to find that the anti-gun administration up there has made such a policy.

Any one know for SURE?

OVJ
Hokie Alumnus

Of course the police are armed around here.

However, in a truly free country only the citizenry is armed as a matter of course.

I note the following:

The Virginia Constitution said:
That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defence of a free State; that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided, as dangerous to liberty; and that in all cases the military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power.

4-3.jpg

Last edited:

VApatriot

Any one know for SURE?

OVJ
Hokie Alumnus

Every single campus officer I have ever seen carries a gun, just like all other cops. Though the exact course of events have not been described in detail, and likely will not be, the officer being armed likely did not make, and could not have made, a difference in this case. The information released suggests that the officer was completely ambushed and never had any chance to respond in any way.

TFred

The information released suggests that the officer was completely ambushed and never had any chance to respond in any way.

I think that sums it up VP. There was just no way to see it coming.
And if this was the case, the guy could have used just about any lethal weapon known to man, once again, taking the "gun" completely out of the equation.

TFred

CHILINVLN

And if this was the case, the guy could have used just about any lethal weapon known to man, once again, taking the "gun" completely out of the equation.

TFred

Not completely true. A gun allows a tactical advantage of distance, where as a knife, bat, etc. requires the subject to be within arms reach. Being that close gives an additional opportunity and tactical advantage to a well trained officer. If someone jolts forward with a knife, swings with a bat, etc., an officer has opportunity to react, where as walking up to a vehicle with a gun pointed at you means there is a split second for a trigger pull and lights out.

In no way am I supporting a gun free zone (I think its stupid and doesn't serve any true purpose), just saying that the gun is certainly a part of the equation, and a significant one at that.

Repeater

Virginia Tech shooter bought gun in Virginia - LEGALLY

Yes, it was legal. No background check on the planet Earth would have "stopped" Ashley from getting his gun.

The VSP today released a timeline of the events:

Timeline (Please note that times are approximate)

12/7/11 - 11:25 a.m. – At gunpoint, Ashley steals a 2011 white Mercedes SUV from Gilbert Real Estate in the 600 block of Calhoun Street in the City of Radford.

12/7/11 - 12:11 p.m. – City of Radford Police issue multi-state teletype message to law enforcement for a “Be on the Lookout” for the stolen Mercedes SUV.

12/7/11 – Later that afternoon, surveillance video places Ashley inside a Town of Blacksburg retailer. This video was not discovered by investigators until Thursday (Dec. 8) - when they were conducting their investigation into the murder-suicide.

12/8/11 – 9:30 a.m. The Virginia Tech Transportation Institute (VTTI) notifies Blacksburg Police of an abandoned vehicle parked on a gravel drive near the VTTI complex. Police immediately respond, confirm the vehicle is the stolen Mercedes SUV and notify Radford Police.

12/8/11 – 12:15 p.m. –Virginia Tech Police Officer Deriek W. Crouse has stopped a car in the Coliseum parking lot along Washington Street near the intersection of Spring Road. Officer Crouse is seated inside his unmarked patrol car when Ashley approaches the officer and fatally shoots him. Ashley then flees on foot from the scene.

12/8/11 – 12:45 p.m. - As law enforcement search the campus for the shooting suspect, a Montgomery County Deputy Sheriff spots a male pedestrian walking by himself in the “Cage” parking lot along Duck Pond Drive. As the deputy drives towards the man, he momentarily loses sight of him. When the deputy finally reaches the subject, the man is on the ground and deceased from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

12/8/11 5:20 p.m. - Outside of the Greenhouses, police recover a backpack containing a wool cap and pullover worn by Ashley at the time of Officer Crouse’s shooting. At this stage of the investigation, state police investigators have found no connection between Ashley and a handwritten message on the wall of one of the Greenhouses.

Last edited:

Sesrun

In case you need another source, this article has the "purchased legally" information and the full timeline as released by VSP.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
This just puts another chink into the armor of the argument that people should have guns because they can pass a background check or because up to this point they are law abiding. Every person was law abiding at some point in their life until they chose to violate the law, which is voluminous and intrusive. People should be able to have guns because life is precious and any person can choose to violate another person at any time, in any place under any circumstance.

TFred

Unfortunately, these kinds of articles are written to play directly into the view of the anti-gunners that everyone who owns a gun is a criminal, and will eventually use that gun to break a law.

TFred

Repeater

RTD no longer reliable

Looks like the article has been scrubbed, Repeater. I keep getting a 404 at RTD.

This article appears to be related content.

This is the second time this has happened. I now regard the Dispatch as unreliable.

See this instead:

Ross Ashley offered no signs of future danger as a college freshman, former roommate says
College officials have said Ashley studied business management and made the dean's list in 2008 at U.Va.-Wise where he spent the 2007-08 school year.

The 22-year-old was a part-time student at Radford University at the time of his death.

At Spotsylvania High, he was an all-district honorable mention football player, earned academic honors and was offered multiple scholarships at graduation.

Ashley was the Non-Cho. No red flags whatsoever. Thus, there was no way the government could have prevented Ashley from obtaining, then using, the gun to commit murder.

This has actually become a case example illustrating the futility of government background checks and prior restraint generally.