• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Breaking- Virginia Tech shooting AGAIN

j4l

:mad:

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...-fired-at-virginia-tech-officer-reported-shot

BLACKSBURG, Va. -- A police officer was shot at Virginia Tech on Thursday morning and campus officials warned everyone to seek shelter while an armed suspect was at large.

The campus newspaper and a local television station reported the officer was dead.

A possible second victim was reported at a campus parking lot, CBS television station WDBJ reported.

"We don’t know if the suspect fled or the extent of the injuries to the suspect or to the officer," NBC News’ Pete Williams told msnbc cable TV earlier.

"This was a traffic stop on campus," Williams said. "It was not someone walking around firing shots."

A Virginia Tech alert described the suspected shooter as a white male wearing gray sweat pants, a gray hat with a neon green brim and a maroon hoodie, and carrying a backpack.

A Virginia Tech alert posted on the school's website said the suspect was last seen walking toward McComas Hall, which is the main gym on campus, about two blocks from Lane Stadium.

In the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history, 33 people, including the mentally ill gunman, were killed on the Virginia Tech campus on April 16, 2007. The massacre in a classroom building began at 9:40 a.m. when Seung-Hui Cho chained the doors and killed dozens before committing suicide.

Jack House

Everyone remain calm, the situation is under control. Please return to the safety of your dorms.

09jisaac

Everyone remain calm, the situation is under control. Please return to the safety of your dorms.

If anything, having a gun would make you the first target. Also, the average untrained person cannot defend themselves against the average shooter, who also seems to be untrained. Maybe their untraining is better than our untraining?

ecocks

Seems the Gun-Free Zones are still not working.

Who would have dreamed someone would violate the rule/law AGAIN!?!

Jack House

If anything, having a gun would make you the first target. Also, the average untrained person cannot defend themselves against the average shooter, who also seems to be untrained. Maybe their untraining is better than our untraining?
All criminals are inborn with the ability to shoot a penny dead center from 1000 yards out with a short barreled shotgun and their flexes are measured with the speed of light. Everyone else not specifically trained by the mythical masters of the military/law enforcement agencies couldn't hit a target the size of an aircraft carrier if it was half an inch from their face. Attempting to do so would result in an innocent person being shot in the head and killed, further they have the reflexes of a dead bradypus variegatus.

Last edited:

09jisaac

All criminals are inborn with the ability to shoot a penny dead center from 1000 yards out with a short barreled shotgun and their flexes are measured with the speed of light. Everyone else not specifically trained by the mythical masters of the military/law enforcement agencies couldn't hit a target the size of an aircraft carrier if it was half an inch from their face. Attempting to do so would result in an innocent person being shot in the head and killed, further they have the reflexes of a dead bradypus variegatus.

See, I was thinking along those lines. I am not a natural born shooter, it takes a lot of practice before I am comfortable with a gun, but my parents have worked all their lifes. But my friend on the other hand, he moved out at 13 because he didn't want to live with his mom her boyfriend and their drugs. I once saw him shoot a match (didn't light it) with a .22 with iron sights at 20 or so feet.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
Street-trash punks just point their guns in your direction and keep shooting until they (1) hit you or (2) run out of ammo.

At some point during this event -- preferably BEFORE they start shooting -- you have to get YOUR gun into action also...but also preferably, not rely on spraying-and-praying (also the US military's de-facto standard response in modern times).

In short, criminals sometimes get lucky...try not to give them even the slightest opportunity to point & shoot.

Some "intended victims" shoot as soon as they see the weapon in hand. Good plan.

As for training, plenty of inexperienced people have made great shots stopping criminals...training isn't all it's cracked-up to be: Just study most police shootings. The people needing the most training (or more of it, or better training, not sure) are the cops, not the average armed citizen (who could give lessons).

Last edited:

okboomer

As for training, plenty of inexperienced people have made great shots stopping criminals...training isn't all it's cracked-up to be: Just study most police shootings. The people needing the most training (or more of it, or better training, not sure) are the cops, not the average armed citizen (who could give lessons).

Yep, in the classes I have taken, the instructor always stressed learning to "point and shoot" rather than trying to acquire a sight picture ... basically because most SD shootings are within 20' and you are basically wasting your time acquiring a sight picture. But, by the same token, they also stressed PRACTICING point'n'shoot during your range time. This is the principle of muscle memory and programming that into your muscles so they can act when your brain is playing catch up with thoughts of "he actually pulled a gun on me??? who does he think he is???" - somewhere around the first thought of "he" should also come a blam from your muscles and subconscious recognizing the threat and acting.

Now, this doesn't mean that the second, third, fourth, shots, etc. shouldn't be during bringing the pistol up for acquiring the sight picture ... you don't quit firing until the threat is stopped, and your first shot may be a little low, so, each shot should have better and better placement.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Seems the Gun-Free Zones are still not working.

Who would have dreamed someone would violate the rule/law AGAIN!?!

I'm SHOCKED!!! Virginia Tech's math professors assured university officials that was statistically impossible! Virginia Tech's psychology professors assured university officials that was sociologically impossible! Virginia Tech's music teachers assured university officials that if they simply kept certain songs off WUVT, that was dichromatically impossible! Virginia Tech's physics professors said, "If a criminal fires a gun inside a gun-free zone it'll do the same damage as if it were outside the gun-free zone."

Naturally, such a response was unacceptably politically incorrect, so it was stricken from the record, they were penalized one month's pay, but denied entry into subsequent discussions.