• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any first-hand experience with Taurus PT709 Slim?

G22shooter

Campaign Veteran
A friend is looking for a slim framed 9mm. She wants to carry but doesn't want the firearm in a purse or handbag. She wants to carry on her belt. The Taurus PT709 Slim caught her eye, but the local range didn't have one available for rent.

Does anyone have first-hand experience with the Taurus PT709 Slim? Thanks in advance.

clayg

Yes, have almost a thousand rounds through mine and no problems whatsoever. Knock on wood. It handles my target reloads as well as the cheap stuff without a hitch. Of course it eats the hollow points too.

el rompe toto

i had a Taurus MILLENNIUM PRO™ 111 and that gun loved 2 jam so i got rid of it i will never own another taurus. i dont trust the name brand no more. get somthing thats name brand

rscottie

i had a Taurus MILLENNIUM PRO™ 111 and that gun loved 2 jam so i got rid of it i will never own another taurus. i dont trust the name brand no more. get somthing thats name brand

Not sure what your point is, a friend of mine got a Kimber and it took two trips to the gunsmith before it would reliably feed.

Any firearm can jam, especially when new.

Taurus makes very reliable and affordable firearms. I have a Third Generation Mil-Pro PT145 and it is very reliable. It is my CC firearm.

Sorry you got one that needed some work but Taurus has the best warranty in the business. If you would have called them, they would have fixed it for you, free of charge.

el rompe toto

Not sure what your point is, a friend of mine got a Kimber and it took two trips to the gunsmith before it would reliably feed.

Any firearm can jam, especially when new.

Taurus makes very reliable and affordable firearms. I have a Third Generation Mil-Pro PT145 and it is very reliable. It is my CC firearm.

Sorry you got one that needed some work but Taurus has the best warranty in the business. If you would have called them, they would have fixed it for you, free of charge.

im not saying it jam every time i shot it out of 200 rounds it jam 6 times 2 much 4 my liking. pickd up a glock and it has never jam on me over 500 rounds 300 of those with out cleaning. i dont like buying things and having them not work properly mostly when is somthing that i mite have 2 use it 2 protect my life with.

rscottie

No Taurus Bashing here.

There is a website that I suggest you check out that will give you real experiences without the usual Taurus bashing.

http://www.taurusarmed.net

The site is not associated with Taurus in any way. It is a forum of many Taurus customers, many highly satisfied and a few that are not.

Generally, the ones that are not satisfied have experienced something that others have had experience with.

Such as, a new firearm that is not working correctly but it is because it was not cleaned properly prior to going to the range the first time. Taurus ships their firearms in a grease that makes cosmoline seem easy to remove. This grease can have many effects including failing to fire, failing to feed, and failing to eject.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people will spend huge amounts of money on a custom Kimber to have it jam on the range. They will excuse it because of the name. But, if a Taurus does the same thing, they label all of them as junk.

GWbiker

I owned a PT709-9 for about 6 months, then sold it at a loss. It was an early production gun with trigger action issues. Trigger pull would vary between 4.5-8lbs as measures with my own gauge and a gun smiths gauge. Accuracy at 21' was poor and not up to my standards.

It was my second Taurus handgun and it was my last.

Since then, I purchased a Remington R1, a Beretta Nano and a Kahr MK9 Elite....all NIB and problem free after being disassembled, cleaned and lubed by me.

G22shooter

Campaign Veteran
Thanks to clayg and GWbiker

Thanks to clayg and GWbiker for sharing your first-hand experiences. :)

Rumors and what happened to a friend of a friend or to someone's buddy on another forum are unsubstantiated and aren't what I was looking for. Thanks, though. :eek:

rscottie

Thanks to clayg and GWbiker for sharing your first-hand experiences. :)

Rumors and what happened to a friend of a friend or to someone's buddy on another forum are unsubstantiated and aren't what I was looking for. Thanks, though. :eek:

I attempted to direct you to a website that I used to make my decision to buy the 3rd Gen PT145. There is a whole section of commentary on every series of Taurus firearms including the PT709. The site is not affiliated with Taurus. There is a lot of very good information there. It is a site where you can read about issues good and bad.

If you choose to not go there, fine by me, I was not trying to upset you.

I and countless others have had very good experiences with Taurus firearms. There is a bias against them that is based on some of the earlier production models. The website I attempted to send you would more than likely have someone that had an issue with the gun if there was one. The PT145 had magazine issues. This site told me how to tell if I had the bad magazines.

Also, there would be people that did not have any issues. Either way, Taurus will fix any problems or replace the gun, their warranty is that good.

As far as my friend, he does not post on any forums because he thinks everyone is an a'hole on these kinds of boards.

G22shooter

Campaign Veteran
I attempted to direct you to a website that I used to make my decision to buy the 3rd Gen PT145. There is a whole section of commentary on every series of Taurus firearms including the PT709. The site is not affiliated with Taurus. There is a lot of very good information there. It is a site where you can read about issues good and bad.

rscottie -- you're right, of course! :dude: Giving me links to another site where other people are posting about their first-hand experiences is very helpful. Thank you!

GWbiker

I've using firearms since the summer of 1957, when Uncle Sam put an M1 Garand in my hands and told me to have fun. Since then I've owned Colt, SIG, Ruger, S&W, Beretta, Remington, Rock Island Armory, Walther, Steyr, Glock, H&K, Kahr, CZ82, STAR, DDR Makarov, Russian IJ 70 Makarov, Polish P64, NAA and........Taurus.

Most of the above I've kept and a few I sold off due to poor performance of the handgun. I found even the Soviet Block (Warsaw Pact) handguns to be quite good.

I went thru much information before purchasing a THIRD generation Taurus PT745, 6+1 .45acp. Two "6 week vacations at the Miami Taurus repair depot" failed to fix the magazine issues and the unacceptable accuracy of that handgun.

A few years later, I tried a NIB PT709-9, which gave me unreliable trigger pull sets, which of course affects accuracy. I sold it.

Taurus firearms have a life time warranty, which attracts many gun buyers into purchasing one, but how many times must a handgun be repaired under warranty before one can trust it for self defense?

BUT, as the old German WWII vet told me many years ago - if you want a reliable handgun for self protection, look toward a country which has entered a major war and was forced to develop the fine art of precision gun making.

AFA I know, Brazil...........?

Just my opinion!

G22shooter

Campaign Veteran
Most of the above I've kept and a few I sold off due to poor performance of the handgun.

GWbiker -- thanks for the input. Since the local ranges don't have a Taurus 709 or 740 available to rent, I'm going to have to just roll the dice on this one. It may turn out like the Diamondback DB380 that I bought and then sold due to unreliability. Or, it may turn out better. I'm hoping for the better.

Skip D

I have a PT709... I would say it's coming up on a thousand rounds.. It is my primary carry...... I really like it. Nice weapon..

MainelyGlock

I just bought a 709 with a green frame and stainless slide, and I love it! I did have some problems with it right out of the box, but that was entirely my fault for not cleaning it. Taurus used a CRAPLOAD of oil when they shipped it from Brazil. I've still only put about 600 rounds through it, but I haven't had any problems so far since I cleaned it. It's very concealable for me, no matter where I place it with an IWB holster, and even with my shoulder rig. The only downside I can see is the lack of night sights, and the 7+1 mag capacity.

onlurker

Had a 709 myself, the only reason I sold it was I could use the cash and it helped a friend out. I've actually been thinking of picking up another one to be honest, I liked it that much. I had only shot maybe 200rds through it when I sold it so I can't directly comment on long-term reliability, however the performance up to that point was superb even right out of the box. It wasn't the most comfortable thing to shoot but it was manageable (comments from a female shooter by the way), and the thing simply disappeared and comfortably to boot. I've had other Taurus model pistols as well and thus far I have a hard time not recommending them. Don't let the internet scare you away from what could possibly be an excellent purchase decision.

G22shooter, since your friend is considering the 709, have you looked into the Kel-Tec PF9 at all? It's more or less Kel-Tec's answer to Taurus' 709 (or vice-versa) and it comes in at a cheaper price, it's worth considering.

G22shooter

Campaign Veteran
Had a 709 myself, the only reason I sold it was I could use the cash and it helped a friend out. I've actually been thinking of picking up another one to be honest, I liked it that much. I had only shot maybe 200rds through it when I sold it so I can't directly comment on long-term reliability, however the performance up to that point was superb even right out of the box. It wasn't the most comfortable thing to shoot but it was manageable (comments from a female shooter by the way), and the thing simply disappeared and comfortably to boot. I've had other Taurus model pistols as well and thus far I have a hard time not recommending them. Don't let the internet scare you away from what could possibly be an excellent purchase decision.

G22shooter, since your friend is considering the 709, have you looked into the Kel-Tec PF9 at all? It's more or less Kel-Tec's answer to Taurus' 709 (or vice-versa) and it comes in at a cheaper price, it's worth considering.

onlurker -- my friend looked at every pocket-sized 9mm she could get her hands on. She tried them all for grip, trigger, racking the slide, etc. She did everything with them she could do in a gunstore short of firing them since these weren't rental guns. She settled on the 709 as the one she liked the best.

After she got it, we took it to the range for some fun and break-in. Her only other pistol is a CZ P07. She likes the CZ but didn't like trying to conceal it. After she had put about 100 rounds through each of the CZ and the new Taurus PT709, she told me pretty much the same thing: not the most comfortable but manageable. She seems to have a deeper appreciation for the accuracy of the CZ P07, but is really excited about being able to carry the 709 completely concealed without anyone ever having a clue that she's armed. Her holster is a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster.