Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig229 Malfunction?

Sig229 Malfunction?

so I'll cut right to the chase here

I have a pretty new Sig 229 with just a couple hundred rounds through it. While practicing dry firing and feeling out the trigger I notice that when staging the trigger (in double action) sometimes when I get really close to that release point the hammer falls but doesn't contact the firing pin.

What I think is happening is the hammer is falling and slipping off the sear, but the trigger isn't pulled as far as it needs to be for the gun to function properly. this is somewhat hard to duplicate, after slowly staging the trigger ten times I can get this problem to happen two or three times.

Is this just because I'm being stupid and SLOWLY and gradually staging trigger, more slowly than I would if I was actually shooting it? or is this a serious problem?

for what it's worth this gun has been 100% at the range. 0 issues. And I'm not staging the trigger like I would when I am shooting, I was just trying to feel the trigger out and squeezing very slowly, holding it in one spot for a few seconds and squeezing a bit more. thoughts?
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

That thing is a piece of crap. Worse than a Taurus. You should sell it to me at a very discounted rate so you can at least recoop some of your loss before it's too late. Hell, I might even trade you even for my Keltec P3AT.

Quote Originally Posted by carsontech View Post
    That thing is a piece of crap. Worse than a Taurus. You should sell it to me at a very discounted rate so you can at least recoop some of your loss before it's too late. Hell, I might even trade you even for my Keltec P3AT.
    Might want to think about that one. He said it was a SIG not a hi-point. I wouldn't give but $20 for one, and thats just cause I am pretty sure I could sell it to my gf for $25+ (she don't know much about guns).

But are you 100% that the hammer isn't contacting the firing pin?

Founder's Club Member
    Are you sure you are pressing on the trigger and not the decocker?

Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    Might want to think about that one. He said it was a SIG not a hi-point. I wouldn't give but $20 for one, and thats just cause I am pretty sure I could sell it to my gf for $25+ (she don't know much about guns).

HiPoint > Sig

Custommmmmmmmmmmm:

^ I lol'd.

110%

I'd like to see a cutaway picture of a sig, but I haven't been able to find any decent ones online. I wish there was as much about the sig as there is about the glock out there.

( glock never did this to me )
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”

HiPoint > Sig

Custommmmmmmmmmmm:

Nope. Still ugly.

Schlitz, have tou thought about having it checked out by a good gunsmith?
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Nope. Still ugly.

Schlitz, have tou thought about having it checked out by a good gunsmith?
    thought about it, but I wanted another opinion to maybe see if I'm just being dumb or if anyone else had this....looks like all I got was the same responses I'd get on 4chan lol < i love you guys...no ****....i mean, not that anything is wrong with that...

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Sig "How to Shoot a Sig Sauer" DVD available:

Each tape shows in detail how to shoot and how these pistols operate with excellent animation sequences showing cutaway views of pistols firing and cycling

http://www.thecountryshed.com/sig_sauer_dvd.htm
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Really? New to guns are you? I wish I could say that was the most ignorant thing I've seen posted...but it's pretty close.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Really? New to guns are you? I wish I could say that was the most ignorant thing I've seen posted...but it's pretty close.
    trolls- 1
    SugGuy- 0

Lol

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    I wish I could say that you understand sarcastic humor but I can't...lol
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post
    trolls- 1
    SugGuy- 0

Lol
    Does this mean that your trade with carson is off?

Does this mean that your trade with carson is off?
    ha! i'm afraid that trade was never going to happen to begin with! lol

on topic for a second, I can't get the problem to happen again today. I'm not trying to 'break' my gun, but the fact that the problem was existent was a little concerning.

I keep trying to ask myself "what would Jesus do" but the only answer to that is Jesus would carry a Glock....I can only assume Jesus is where Glock got their motto from. "PERFECTION" lol

PS: u mad glock haters? XD
    Last edited by Schlitz; 12-10-2011 at 06:39 PM.

I'll be able to see if I can reproduce the problem Tuesday or Wednesday. I'll have a few different model Sigs to test. I'm going to try to trade for, or put on layaway, a 226 or 229 when my wife and I go pick up her new BUG.

I'll post how the testing goes.

ive got a p229 purchased recently, if your up by the charlotte area sometime, we could meet at a range and you could try mine?.... just an offer. I know your not real far, but maybe just an offer.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tim12232 View Post
    ive got a p229 purchased recently, if your up by the charlotte area sometime, we could meet at a range and you could try mine?.... just an offer. I know your not real far, but maybe just an offer.

Tim
    That would be cool. My wife and I are trying to make it to some of the open carry meets up that way. Traveling is difficult with a 6 month old, though. I'll shoot you a PM sometime or make a post, maybe we can see if we can get together, or get a group together.

I'm guessing you never experienced what Schlitz has, with your 229.

I've been trying to duplicate the problem and it won't happen. It may be a non-issue now.

My issue is SIMILAR to this guys issue with this sig290. His hammer falls to the neutral position when staging the DA trigger ONLY when he does it slowly, as I was doing with mine.

EDIT

Could this be one of those "breaking in a gun" issues? I don't see how it could be, but I really don't understand completely what is going on inside of the sig. I'm familiar with how a 1911 works and I can only imagine it is similar, but like I said - I've never seen the internals on this bad boy.
    Last edited by Schlitz; 12-11-2011 at 02:01 PM.

Junk. Sell it on ebay, spend the next 4 years bashing it online in forums, and go get a Taurus ,like you should have to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by j4l View Post
    go get a Taurus ,like you should have to begin with.
    trolololololol

trolololololol
    They're never going to let you by until you get another Taurus.

They're never going to let you by until you get another Taurus.
    I cannot. I've touched that stove one too many times...and it's hot.

I had to view the image URL, I just knew you made this yourself when I saw it lol.

I cannot. I've touched that stove one too many times...and it's hot.
    You havent even existed long enough to have touched anything too many times, yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast