• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sig229 Malfunction?

carsontech

Activist Member
sigmonkeys.jpg

carsontech

Activist Member
You havent even existed long enough to have touched anything too many times, yet.

Not-sure-if-serious-drama-or-just-plain-trollin.jpg

I had to view the image URL, I just knew you made this yourself when I saw it lol.

Night shift = up at night on days off to keep sleep schedule. SC + night time + no money = nothing to do but interwebs and research firearm stuff.

Last edited:

carsontech

Activist Member
^Oops, was on wife's laptop...

My issue is SIMILAR to this guys issue with this sig290. His hammer falls to the neutral position when staging the DA trigger ONLY when he does it slowly, as I was doing with mine.

My wife had a P-250 for a few months. The internals of the 290 and 250 are exactly the same, except for size. We had to stage the trigger as well, and never ran into the the problem that you're experiencing with your 229 or the guy in the P290 video is experiencing.

It seems like one of the QC things that is getting past the factory tests that is too random or hard to find a pattern to. I'm pretty interested in this, seeing how I want another Sig, so I guess I will google 'till my eyes bleed. Then go test some out in a few days.

CO-Joe

I bet this is what's going on: the P229 like all modern firearms has a firing pin block, which is deactivated at the end of the trigger travel. Its job is to disallow the gun to fire, unless the trigger is pulled.

For some reason, the mechanics of your particular pistol allow the hammer to fall before the firing pin block is fully out of the way. This shouldn't happen, no matter how slowly you stage the trigger. It could be that the contact surfaces for the firing pin block are ever so slightly smaller than they should be, so it doesn't fully disengage when you operate the trigger so slowly.

The hammer on a Sig always rebounds to the neutral position after it contacts the firing pin, because when the trigger is released in double action mode, the hammer is caught by a safety notch in the sear which won't let the hammer move, even if the gun is dropped right on the hammer. It's probable that the hammer is hitting, but the firing pin block is taking the blow, and hammer is rebounding to its default state faster than your eyes can see.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I bet this is what's going on: the P229 like all modern firearms has a firing pin block, which is deactivated at the end of the trigger travel. Its job is to disallow the gun to fire, unless the trigger is pulled.

For some reason, the mechanics of your particular pistol allow the hammer to fall before the firing pin block is fully out of the way. This shouldn't happen, no matter how slowly you stage the trigger. It could be that the contact surfaces for the firing pin block are ever so slightly smaller than they should be, so it doesn't fully disengage when you operate the trigger so slowly.

The hammer on a Sig always rebounds to the neutral position after it contacts the firing pin, because when the trigger is released in double action mode, the hammer is caught by a safety notch in the sear which won't let the hammer move, even if the gun is dropped right on the hammer. It's probable that the hammer is hitting, but the firing pin block is taking the blow, and hammer is rebounding to its default state faster than your eyes can see.

thanks for the words joe.
The problem isn't that the hammer is falling and I cannot fire a round, the problem is that the hammer is falling to the half cock/neutral position when I have the trigger staged, but not pulled far enough to release the hammer. (This is going on in double action)

I'm just about 100% sure the hammer is NOT hitting the back of the slide/firing pin when this 'incident' happens. I have come to this conclusion for a few reasons:

1. I am 99.99999% PRETTY sure that when I watch it happen the hammer is not going past the neutral position. (but it is fast and my eyes could be failing me here.)
2. It makes a weird *POP* sound from what I believe is inside the gun when this happens, not the same sound the hammer usually makes when it falls, leading me to believing its hitting something similar to a half cock feature like we see on a 1911 hammer.
3. When I pull the trigger on my sig, the hammer falls and immediately returns to the neutral position. If I pull the trigger and hold it down even after the hammer falls, I can push it forward onto the firing pin manually (with my fingers). When this happens (and I haven't moved the trigger) I cannot move the hammer past the half cock/neutral position - this is also the condition of the gun when it is just sitting there doing nothing. I cannot manually push the trigger to touch the firing pin (i am assuming this is normal...it is my first sig after all)

CO-Joe

thanks for the words joe.

No problem. Something is definitely going on here which shouldn't, I have a bit of experience with sigs, so I'm glad to try and help!

I'd try putting a dab of grease, or something similarly gooey and sticky on the end of the firing pin, so that if the hammer goes forward enough, you'll easily see any transfer when this happens. It'll help diagnose the problem, anyway, because the weird pop sound might also be explained by the firing pin safety.

It might be that since the hammer doesn't have the shock-absorbing action of the firing pin and the return spring, so that it comes down softly, that it's hitting so hard that it rebounds in a strange way--like whacking a plate of steel with a ball peen hammer, it's going to come back at ya-- so that might also make the sear/hammer interface goof up.

I'll see if I can't manually replicate this with my P229 this evening.

Last edited: