Thread: Is there federal land where you can go shooting in Virginia?

Is there federal land where you can go shooting in Virginia?

Hi all,

Question for you... When I used to live in Wyoming, you could go on federal land and just set up cans and shoot.

In Virginia, and specifically near the northern Virginia area, is there federal land (or state land) where you could do target practice? Now obviously I do target practice at indoor or outdoor ranges. But it would be nice to just go by myself, or with my wife, and do some target practice in a field somewhere alone. How does that work, or is that even possible in Virginia?

Thanks.
    Last edited by eastwood2400; 12-09-2011 at 09:03 AM.

I am unaware of any public, federal land open to shooting in the northern Virginia area. However, there is a free public range in Jefferson National Forest, just outside of Blacksburg. I don't know of any other similar ranges in Virginia.

There is a range on Quantico Marine Corp Base that civilians can use, but it is operated by a private club and subject to their rules and membership.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VApatriot View Post
    I am unaware of any public, federal land open to shooting in the northern Virginia area. However, there is a free public range in Jefferson National Forest, just outside of Blacksburg. I don't know of any other similar ranges in Virginia.

There is a range on Quantico Marine Corp Base that civilians can use, but it is operated by a private club and subject to their rules and membership.
    I think Ed posted about a place in the NF where people go to shoot. Just a ravine or something like that...but, it's also illegal, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Not in Virginia, but I would check the National Forests very closely. At the Tuskegee Nat'l Forest here in Alabama, there is a nice little range set up. The fee is $3.00 per day per shooter. It is also listed on the Nat'l Forest website.

Just a suggestion. Hope it helps you folks in Virginia.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    I think Ed posted about a place in the NF where people go to shoot. Just a ravine or something like that...but, it's also illegal, so I wouldn't recommend it.
    This place? http://www.covecampground.com/TargetRange.html

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter45 View Post
    Is that NF or private Hunter?

The thing I miss about out West, is public land to shoot on!

C.H. Phelps WMA but it's resrticted to rifle only.
    www.dgif.virginia.gov/wmas/detail.asp?pid=17

Here's more:
    http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/shootingranges.asp

These all require membership-

Here's also Issak Walton league:

Loudoun County Chapter
    http://www.loudouniwla.org
    Phone: (360)303-6312

Arlington-Fairfax Chapter
    http://www.arlingtonfairfax-iwla.org
    Phone: (540)338-7316

Prince William Chapter
    http://www.pwiwla.org
    Phone: (703)368-6562

There's also
    Fairfax Rod and Gun club
    &
    Fredericksburg Rod & Gun Club
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Wow, super helpful. CH Phelps is not too far from northern Virginia. Too bad only rifle, but I could test out my new shotgun there. The thing is, if I am going to drive that far, might as well just go to the indoor or outdoor range again. ha ha. Anyway, I need to buy some random piece of land so I can just go there. I miss the West! Nothing like shooting and seeing wild horses come running by.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent19 View Post
    C.H. Phelps WMA but it's resrticted to rifle only.
    www.dgif.virginia.gov/wmas/detail.asp?pid=17

Here's more:
    http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/shootingranges.asp

These all require membership-

Here's also Issak Walton league:

Loudoun County Chapter
    http://www.loudouniwla.org
    Phone: (360)303-6312

Arlington-Fairfax Chapter
    http://www.arlingtonfairfax-iwla.org
    Phone: (540)338-7316

Prince William Chapter
    http://www.pwiwla.org
    Phone: (703)368-6562

There's also
    Fairfax Rod and Gun club
    &
    Fredericksburg Rod & Gun Club

"Easy driving distance" from Baltimore, DC and the other major cities listed? Maybe by airplane but not by four wheeler at anywhere close to the legal speed limit, even disregarding the typical traffic staus. I can't imagine anyone from those cities making a trip of that distance frequently enough to stay proficient beyond the absolute minimum.
    Daily carry: SIG P229 .40 S&W

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Is that NF or private Hunter?
    I believe it's private. I don't know anything about it, but I think that's the place that Ed posted about.

Forest Service Ranges in VA

Quote Originally Posted by VApatriot View Post

There are closer (to NoVA) forest service ranges than Blacksburg, at Augusta Springs in Augusta county, one in Bath county, and one at Low Moor, I64 exit 21 in Alleghany County. All permit rifle and pistol. But the National Forest in VA is in the west, not near NoVA anywhere, sorry!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

we need a shooting range in loudoun county that is free for everyone : )

the isak walton league requires that you go to a meeting and pay some hefty annual membership fee. The silver eagle group in ashburn is easily $30 bucks each time you go or again you can pay some massive annual membership fee. I would really like to see our representatives recognize we in loudoun county like to go shooting and shooters clearly pay their taxes. They build massive parks with playgrounds soccer fields baseball fields but they do nothing to help open a free park for shooting. It needs to be proposed and it needs to have a section for rifles pistols and shotguns.

I believe it's private. I don't know anything about it, but I think that's the place that Ed posted about.
    It's private, there's a fee to use it. It's also best to have a vehicle with decent ground clearance to make it up to the range.

Quote Originally Posted by opencarrypalmtrees View Post
    the isak walton league requires that you go to a meeting and pay some hefty annual membership fee. The silver eagle group in ashburn is easily $30 bucks each time you go or again you can pay some massive annual membership fee. I would really like to see our representatives recognize we in loudoun county like to go shooting and shooters clearly pay their taxes. They build massive parks with playgrounds soccer fields baseball fields but they do nothing to help open a free park for shooting. It needs to be proposed and it needs to have a section for rifles pistols and shotguns.
    Too be fair there is bull run shooting center http://www.nvrpa.org/park/bull_run_p...hooting_center

It is a nvrpa park and loudoun is one of the members. Has nice facilities but is shotgun/bow and arrow only!

the bull run shooting center only allows you to shoot at clay targets with a shotgun

"""Quote Originally Posted by opencarrypalmtrees View Post
    Too be fair there is bull run shooting center http://www.nvrpa.org/park/bull_run_p...hooting_center

It is a nvrpa park and loudoun is one of the members. Has nice facilities but is shotgun/bow and arrow only! """

problem is there isn't even a paper target range for shotguns :P what fun is that?

Public Land you can shoot near NOVA

I just got off the phone with the forest service in Monongahela National Forest (WV). They have more standard rules for fire arms than VA (no shooting across roads, no shooting from moving vehicles etc.). It's about a 90 minute drive from Dulles airport to get to the northern tip. Haven't made the drive yet, but it sounds like a viable option for a day out shooting.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.