• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Campus gun bans, a failed system?

Rich7553

The Virginia Tech incidents occurred on just one campus, in just one state. Similar events have occurred on campuses throughout the country, each one a gun-free zone. How many more such incidents will need to occur before college administrators realize that gun bans simply do not protect the students, faculty, and staff from unpredictable acts of gun violence?

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-ft-myers/campus-gun-bans-a-failed-system

ADulay

Rich,

Very nicely written and explained perfectly.

The analogy of the fire extinguishers for the campus buildings was very good!

Way to go.

AD

Jojo712

Founder's Club Member
At my college, there are times when I would definitely feel safer if my gun were on my side instead of in my glovebox. Between flare-ups (I teach Criminal law, so some views get a lot of disagreement: profiling, wiretaps, domestic issues) and the occasional lovers' quarrels (coupled with security guards who will let anyone on campus), a campus can very easily become the type of place where outsiders can come in and wreak havoc, while those of us who follow the law would be left reaching for our empty holsters.

The monstrous thing about it is that this is the most basic human right: self-defense, and the message being sent to these kids that you may be old enough to fight and die for your country, but you have to bring a pepper spray can to a gun fight whenever you're within the "hallowed grounds" of the school.

Jake8x7

Activist Member
I blame it on ignorance of the university culture and the inability of SOME of the student body. When I've had brief discussions about the 2nd amendment on campus I've heard the following so many times: "I don't like guns and don't want any, so why would I support anyone else having them?" It's failed logic, and we all know it, but they all are completely contempt if they can "feel safer".

Out of side; out of mind.

Jake8x7

Rich7553

I blame it on ignorance of the university culture and the inability of SOME of the student body. When I've had brief discussions about the 2nd amendment on campus I've heard the following so many times: "I don't like guns and don't want any, so why would I support anyone else having them?" It's failed logic, and we all know it, but they all are completely contempt if they can "feel safer".

Out of side; out of mind.

Jake8x7

"I'm not an activist and don't want to speak my mind, so why would I support anyone else's right to speak out?" (First Amendment)

Jake8x7

Activist Member
I guess the only way to respond is "don't trample on the constitution"...but many of them nitpick what they like about it and disregard the rest unless they feel its currently necessary. Little do they know that by the time they figure out they need an amendment, it's been warped so heavily by case law and local/state regulations that in application the original amendment is legally meaningless.