• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Refund today from Peoples Foo CO-OP - Reason BANNED

JJC

I recieved a refund today from the La Crosse Peoples Food Co-op.

On the reciept the reason was stated as follows;

Banned because he carries a Firearm.

When I drove by over the weekend, I observed a very large crowd of Anti-Walker people taking up valuable space on the sidewalk.

This reciept has the makings of a letter to the editor entitled ""Banned" due to excerising 2nd ammendment rights."

JJC

JJC

I'm confused as to what happened? Did I miss another thread somewhere with the story?

I posted a conversation with the Co-op mananger a couple of weeks ago. Sent a letter to the board of directors.

They refunded my membership and listed the reason as outlined above.

I'm "Banned" because I carry a weapon, The manager fears for the safety of his employees.

JJC

wild boar

I only hope when, and if you ...

...get it published in the medea the slant doesn't run it off the page.
I can't help but wonder where the biggest gun rights group is lately. I keep getting crap in the mail. We are; once again, under assault from our government; this time, under the mask of AB-406. Once again I'll fight, as I have in the past.
There is a Thread posted, I've sent my first email, and am making phone calls. Will keep you posted. boar out.

MKEgal

Wow... they actually admitted it in writing.
They could have just refunded your money without the slap in the face.
I'd say they want their discrimination to be made public.
Be sure to mention in your letter that they just gave up their immunity from liability,
while putting up signs that essentially say
"Hey criminals - come here & rob us & attack customers in the parking lot!"

Badger Johnson

He fears for the safety of his employees but if you were there when a holdup occurred and prevented slaughter of witnesses he'd be calling on you to stop it, while probably wetting his pants.

OTOH, as we know a gun can jump out of the holster and just start firing by itself. (see other posts, LEO dropped gun). LOL.

MKEgal

BTW, I didn't see anything in the materials available on their site that says they prohibit members from being lawfully-armed. Was there anything in the membership materials you were given, or updates that have been mailed from time to time?

http://www.peoplesfoodcoop.com/

The People's Food Co-op
315 5th Avenue South
La Crosse, WI

"Our cooperative is a friendly and inviting place... We respect the diversity, individual beliefs and choices of members, staff and potential members..."

"Membership is open to any person, eighteen and older, interested in purchasing the goods or utilizing the services offered by the cooperative."

"Our co-operative is an autonomous, self-help organization controlled by our members.
Our co-operative is a democratic organization controlled by our members."

"The People’s Food Co-op is based on the values of self-responsibility, mutual self-help, democracy, equality, equity, and community. Our cooperative members believe in the ethical values of honesty, openness, social responsibility, and caring for others.
Adapted from the International Cooperative Alliance Statement on the Cooperative Identity"

"We are a voluntary organization, open to all persons able to use our services and willing to accept the responsibilities of membership, without gender, social, racial, political, or religious discrimination."

"4) Membership may be terminated in the following three ways:
a) Voluntarily by written notice from the member to the People’s Food Co-op;
b) Automatically when a member is delinquent in the payment of her/his/its share investment to the extent determined by the Board;
c) By decision of the Board of Directors with the right of appeal to the general membership"

"Bylaw XI • AMENDMENT OF BYLAWS
1) Before a vote is taken to adopt, repeal, or amend any bylaw, members shall have an opportunity to respond to such a proposal at a regular membership meeting or a special meeting called for that purpose."

"DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The Board acting by resolution may decide all matters lawfully within its authority."

oak1971

They sound like a bunch of commies to me. Makes sense being located in Lacrosse, with the University and all the ivory tower leftist intellectuals therein.

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
Sounds like they didn't want you to run for the board of directors so you could advocate firing the manager for being against the Bill of Rights. Coop managers serve at the discretion of the board. Must have some anti's on that board.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
Isn't a Co-op just a lighter version of communism??

Think about it's a collective, so I would expect the co-op to be heavily populated by communist leaning people to begin with.
Maybe in the near future banning someone from exercising a constitutionally guaranteed right could be considered a protected class of people?

Because he carries a weapon, I have seen women use keys as a weapon, and I applauded them for their quick thinking, so do they ban people carrying car keys now too?

JJC

The local rag (paper) won't print my letter of complaint against the CO-OP. Paper said it's their policy not to print letters complaining about the policys of other businesses.

JJC

bigdaddy1

Perhaps if you made it more of an editorial? If they just let people complain the paper would be full of em.

Last edited:

Vandil

The local rag (paper) won't print my letter of complaint against the CO-OP. Paper said it's their policy not to print letters complaining about the policys of other businesses.

JJC

Unless it's an ad of course. If you paid for the space they'd print anything you want.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

It may help to post it here, before posting it to a rag-editor, for editing. "[A]mmendment[sic]" does your appeal/argument to an editor no good.

I was trained as a writer of letters to editors by James J. Kilpatrick, once my neighbor, and author of "Covering the Courts" and "The Writer's Art." He was the last real newspaper editor. My local "public editor" banned my letters from publication for cursing her "Elsa, 'the Boring Cow' McDowell" in public (a la Elsie, the Borden Cow, a local landmark).

JJC

It may help to post it here, before posting it to a rag-editor, for editing. "[A]mmendment[sic]" does your appeal/argument to an editor no good.

I was trained as a writer of letters to editors by James J. Kilpatrick, once my neighbor, and author of "Covering the Courts" and "The Writer's Art." He was the last real newspaper editor. My local "public editor" banned my letters from publication for cursing her "Elsa, 'the Boring Cow' McDowell" in public (a la Elsie, the Borden Cow, a local landmark).

Good Idea, here's what I sent to the La Crosse Rag:

From the Peoples Food COOP Documentation:
Quote:
"We are a voluntary organization, open to all persons able to use our services and willing to accept the responsibilities of membership, without gender, social, racial, political, or religious discrimination."
Unquote:

Words in the charter without meaning.

Yet today I recieved a refund in the mail terminating my membership due to: (a direct quote on the termination notice)
"Banned from the store because he carries a firearm". (Per the Manager)
1) I was carrying a firearm when I took out a life membership.
2) The manager stated that he would take a bullet to protect me. (What an insult).
3) They posted signs declaring the store a weapon free zone for all criminal types to target, knowing that the store will be full of unarmed victims.
4) By posting a NO WEAPON sign,the store just gave up their immunity from liability,
while putting up signs that essentially say
"Hey criminals - come here & rob us & attack customers in the parking lot!"
5) Not posting, the store would have recieved immunity from being sued for any violence that would happen in the store or PARKING LOT.
6) When asked what steps the CO-OP is taking to protect their customers, the manager responded NONE.

Funny...prior to CCW being legal, the safety of his employees wasnt a concern...but NOW it is. The fear of inanimate objects.

There must be a good number of people at the CO-OP that are against the Bill of Rights.

I feel very very sad for them.

JJC