• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

my parents dont support open carry

dashowdy

Thats a good idea is just not to engage in the argument and just continue as I am and they will just realize that I will carry this way even once I get my ccw. I just want my permit so I dont have to worry about putting it on the seat in the car. I do most of the time because of accessability but most of the time I have a passenger so I keep it on my hip and would just set it on the dash if I got pulled.

I know what you mean dreamer full size is much more comfortable to shoot so I would imagine the 17L or 34 would be a straight tack driver.

Last edited:

edrolee

i must be a MUCH bigger A$$h*!e than anyone else here b/c i have ended arguments with my parents and my in-laws in a very simple way, when they as adults have tried to push their opinions on me as an adult i have flatly told them (and mind you this is always after varying degrees of discussion, and usually multiple discussions) that if they can't live with my personal decisions they can live without me and my family (including my kids)

my family all knows that i will cut them off and they all back off and STHU i'v only had to do it once each to my and my wife's family, they now discuss things with me and i will judge for myself if their arguments hold water if so i'll modify my thinking if not the discussion is over

S&W 4TheWin

hello, this is my first post. (obviously) I have been lurking here awhile reading different threads and i myself have come across this very problem. A little different though. I am a 20 year old male and my parents think that since im YOUNGER i will be more of a target for police harassment, along with the public looking down on me. Ive only been ocing for the past 3 weeks and haven't had a confrontation yet, but ive mostly only been places that already know me. Ive printed out the open carry argument that was posted above but is what there saying true to an extent? I think i saw some one referring to ocers in their 20s to be unicorns lol. (i took that to mean you very rarely see them) I was just wondering what yalls opinion on this was. As for all their other reasoning to not OC i have pretty valid arguments and they dont give me a hard time about it they just like to throw in there that they think im drawing un-need attention ESPECIALLY since im younger. Where as i guess its not as bad if i was 40? At least in there eyes. Dont get me wrong i do KINDA see there point, but i caint help my age and will not wait to OC until i "look old enough"

also, i dont live with my parents. havent since i was 17
and when i say "look old enough" i dont mean 18-21. As
i have a full beard and often get asked if im 23-25 ish.

Thanks in advance and i LOVE this website!:banana:

dashowdy

hello, this is my first post. (obviously) I have been lurking here awhile reading different threads and i myself have come across this very problem. A little different though. I am a 20 year old male and my parents think that since im YOUNGER i will be more of a target for police harassment, along with the public looking down on me. Ive only been ocing for the past 3 weeks and haven't had a confrontation yet, but ive mostly only been places that already know me. Ive printed out the open carry argument that was posted above but is what there saying true to an extent? I think i saw some one referring to ocers in their 20s to be unicorns lol. (i took that to mean you very rarely see them) I was just wondering what yalls opinion on this was. As for all their other reasoning to not OC i have pretty valid arguments and they dont give me a hard time about it they just like to throw in there that they think im drawing un-need attention ESPECIALLY since im younger. Where as i guess its not as bad if i was 40? At least in there eyes. Dont get me wrong i do KINDA see there point, but i caint help my age and will not wait to OC until i "look old enough"

also, i dont live with my parents. havent since i was 17
and when i say "look old enough" i dont mean 18-21. As
i have a full beard and often get asked if im 23-25 ish.

Thanks in advance and i LOVE this website!:banana:

First let me say welcome good to have you on here. I am 24 so a little older but around that age group so I know what you mean. As far as police harrasment just know the laws and abide by them and you will be fine. Most cops will not even bat an eyelash. Generally I have learned that age has nothing to do with peoples firearms phobias and concerns. It especially rings true for alot of folks when they see me and my 2 year old daughter together, absolutely blows there mind that a family man as clean cut and polite as I am carries a firearm for protection. But my daughter is the main reason I got into carrying. Just be polite, dress well, and relax you will have way more positive experiences than negatives.

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
What?

We are adults and don't wrestle around, That is a southern thing.

As a southerner, I'm not quite sure how this statement is supposed to be taken, especially in a NC subforum. Is this like saying, "We don't put sugar in our cornbread, that is a yankee thing." ???

Would you trust Dale Jr. to drive your car on a race track?

I wouldn't trust him to win anything.

smlawrence

Read this essay, it is one of the best written peices I have ever come across. My dad was a strong supporter of CC for the longest time, gave him this to read and now I motice his firearm uncovered more often than not.

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/open-carry-discussion/7230-open-carry-argument.html

Sent using tapatalk

That has got to be one of the best arguments I have read. Thank you for sharing that with us. I plan to print and share this with my Father-In-Law who doesn't really give me alot of smack about it but occasionally makes a remark or two about it. Maybe this would help him realize some opinions that I couldn't impress on him.

dashowdy

Well once again had a 30 minute conversation with my dad about open carry, which ended with his usual there is a time and a place for it. He feels that it is not neccesary at there house or my grandmothers during christmas or thanksgiving, to which I replied well it seems you have a crystal ball that tells you when bad things are going to happen, you should start marketing and selling them, I know the federal government would pay a pretty penny. I can tell there will be no acceptance by him or some other people but hey since when does anything anyone chooses to do in life make everyone 100 percent happy.

REDFIVE48

Well once again had a 30 minute conversation with my dad about open carry, which ended with his usual there is a time and a place for it. He feels that it is not neccesary at there house or my grandmothers during christmas or thanksgiving, to which I replied well it seems you have a crystal ball that tells you when bad things are going to happen, you should start marketing and selling them, I know the federal government would pay a pretty penny. I can tell there will be no acceptance by him or some other people but hey since when does anything anyone chooses to do in life make everyone 100 percent happy.

My .02

If the tension is mainly around his house or your grandparents, simply get their permission and CC while in their house, then its not in their face and annoying to them.

Although I OC all the time, if I go to someone's house that doesn't welcome it, well there must be a reason I am there so as a guest I will act like one. If you need an excuse to not be welcome, then keep at it, but to me, that wouldn't be an argument worth having with family. Of course in my house, they would have to keep their mouths shut or not come over if they didn't like my gun.

Good luck, family is tricky.

PistolPackingMomma

Tell them "100% of home invasions happen at home." (Imagine that!)

dashowdy

well I specifically asked my grandmother and she was fine with it, she is a 78 year old woman with severe arthritis but she still has her ccw. She was in no way shape or form against it, at one point she actually asked to see my pistol which I unloaded and handed to her so we could get a photo op. My dad says it is fine in his house he just does not feel it is neccessary. He is a firm believer that I will miss a sign or forget a statute one day and be arrested for open carrying where I am not allowed or someone calling the cops on me.

smlawrence

Personally I would agree with Redfive, if I am a guest at someone else's house then I will either obey their wishes or not go at all. If they don't want me to OC at their house then I would usually just CC so they can assume I am carrying but not know for sure. Outside of their property its GAME-ON...lol. Good luck and Merry Christmas.