• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nye County Sheriff office and Courthouse

Vegassteve

Yep.

It 'reads' more clear when you separate it out and show the "or" in context.

As you correctly point out, the vehicle is another prohibited location, in addition to the physical property locations.

Wait part c reads vehicle of, so doesnt that make a personal vehicle ok?

wrightme

Wait part c reads vehicle of, so doesnt that make a personal vehicle ok?

Nope. The locations are still forbidden zones. the part I annotated as 'c' simply creates a moving forbidden zone; namely, the bus. For a personal vehicle to be ok, that personal vehicle would need to remain outside of locations a and b......unless there was an exception written in to the statute for personal vehicles.

If the parking lot of an 'a' or 'b' is considered "the property of", it is in the exclusion zone, whether you are on a bus, your own car, a taxi, or bicycle or horse, etc.

To paraphrase the statute:

"You can't bring a gun onto school property, AND, a bus is also school property."

For your pov to be okay, it would have to paraphrase as follows:

"You can't bring a gun onto school property, OR onto a bus, UNLESS you are in your own vehicle." But it doesn't give that exception.

Last edited:

Yard Sale

Googling SCoNev rules and 5th district opinions now.

Note that the signage threatened trespass, because they haven't any law backing them up. It would be awful hard to support a trespass charge or arrest of somebody subpoenaed or otherwise ordered to appear in court. Sounds like obstruction of justice to me.

Supreme Court Rule # 246 for recorders

Cameras and electronic media coverage in court: SCR 229-247
—Chandler v. Florida, 449 U.S. 560, 582-83 (1981) (absent showing of prejudice of constitutional dimension, electronic coverage of trial permissible)

Last edited:

ed2276

The length of time needed to give a legal opinion will be measured in minutes, hours or days not months or years.

Well, he may have just been engaging in lawyer-like word game playing here. He didn't promise to get back to anyone quicker, he just said the time would be measured in a different way. lol

The Big Guy

= NO HELP

This was a reply from my 3rd email.

I did not send a letter to him.

If it were anyone but Masto, I would send a lover letter to the AG. The only other thing I could think of is to try to get the NFAC/NRA or the GOA behind you to send the court a little update on the current law and the fact that courts are not supposed to be legislating. This of course is nothing that couldn't be taken care of with a little ingenuity and a suitable application of cash.

TBG

28kfps

What a brain dead statement!! “if you believe you have been aggrieved by these signs." That is his conclusion after reading the NRS and informed the policies are in violation of Nevada State laws!? Makes a person want to open up a large can of hissy fit on him.

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
What a brain dead statement!! “if you believe you have been aggrieved by these signs." That is his conclusion after reading the NRS and informed the policies are in violation of Nevada State laws!? Makes a person want to open up a large can of hissy fit on him.

Look at it from a different angle -- he tells you that he believes that he has no authority to open the lock, then GIVES YOU THE KEY so that you can give it a try!

Remember, to file an action against the government you must have "standing," a valid and apparent cause to be involved, or the action is automatically dismissed with prejudice (meaning you can't try again). If your complaint states that you are personally "aggrieved by these signs," then you HAVE standing.

A courthouse is not the same as a park, and will take a harder push to get things moving, but the legal beagle has told you how to do it.

Also, to file suit against the government, first you must give fair warning, to permit them to mitigate prior to the costs of a trial. That letter goes to the same guy who just told you what to put in the letter! If he is on our side, or even just neutral, with that letter he DOES have authority to address the issue. Even if he is opposed, with that letter he MUST address it. As it won't take much research (he has probably already done it) to see that the sign is a violation of the law, the threat of lawsuit is likely to get results, without having to do more than send the warning letter . . .but until the key is used, he has no way to move on it.

You guys down in the Sharp End owe a debt of gratitude to the guy up here who kicked Sparks off of center, because that precedent will work all over the state -- even in Northeast LA.

I'm curious, though, why that new group down there hasn't checked in on this. It seems like a good way to get a little live-fire training.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Thank you for your efforts and for continuing to educate him on the difference. I'm hoping he just didn't understand that you were specifically asking because of the inherent nature of the difference between hiding a firearm (a licensed activity that is restricted in various locations) and openly carrying (like uniformed police officers).