• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hmm... Who needs a BUG?

TFred

Overshadowed by the VT incident, a VSP trooper was in a gunfight yesterday afternoon on I-95 just south of Fredericksburg. After a series of non-trivial events, the trooper had arrested the subject, found walking along the interstate. Once in the car, the subject went after the troopers service gun. The gun went off, striking the trooper in the leg. I'll post the details that ensued below. On a positive note, it sounds as though the trooper will recover.

On a side note, this happened about 12 miles south of Fredericksburg, they had I-95 South completely blocked off or down to only 1 lane for many hours. As is always the case, every south-bound route through the city was absolutely jammed all the way through rush-hour, as everyone bailed off I-95 onto Route 1, which quickly overflowed to local roads as well. Many commute times were double or triple the "norm".

TFred

I-95 suspect dies from his injuries

After placing [the suspect] Wheeler in his unmarked patrol car, [VSP spokesman] Molnar said a violent struggle ensued.

“During the struggle, the suspect attempted to take control of the trooper’s service weapon when the weapon discharged striking the trooper in the leg,” Molnar said. “As the violent struggle continued inside the troopers vehicle, the trooper returned fire with another weapon.”

[Trooper] Hamer, 51, was taken by ambulance to Mary Washington Hospital, where he is currently recovering. Wheeler was flown by helicopter to the same hospital with “serious, life threatening injuries,” Molnar said. Unconfirmed reports said Wheeler was shot in the head.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Good that the trooper will be okay! Also good that the bad guy is off the street! I bet that officer will always be carrying a BUG...

Last edited:

MilProGuy

Looks as if the BUG enabled the trooper to save the day!

My prayers are with him in his recovery.

As for the miscreant, well, you reap what you sow.

Last edited:

Sheriff

"with another gun"

I'm wondering if this means the trooper might have popped his trunk and grabbed a long rifle?

Steeler-gal

"with another gun"

I'm wondering if this means the trooper might have popped his trunk and grabbed a long rifle?

Doesn't sound like it
from the article
“During the struggle, the suspect attempted to take control of the trooper’s service weapon when the weapon discharged striking the trooper in the leg,” Molnar said. “As the violent struggle continued inside the troopers vehicle, the trooper returned fire with another weapon.”

45acpForMe

I have strongly advocated a BUG. I guess those with only additional magazines could hit him on the head with them hoping to disuade him from grabbing the gun. :)

Does VSP have the shotgun in front like I have seen in many police cars? In hand to hand combat for the gun it would be very ominous to see a shotgun barrel approaching....

Sorry that there was loss of life.

hunter45

So if the guy was arrested then he was in handcuffs, right? I don't see how he could grab an officers gun and shoot him with it while his hands are behind his back in cuffs...

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
So if the guy was arrested then he was in handcuffs, right? I don't see how he could grab an officers gun and shoot him with it while his hands are behind his back in cuffs...

The way I understood the story, the fellow was not under arrest. His only crime was walking on Interstate which happens frequently. Unless there is something else involved, the Troopers usually just give them a ride to the next exit with a warning to stay off the highway.

carsontech

Activist Member
Ahh, the good old USA, where it's almost frowned upon and illegal to walk anywhere, and where walking in the middle of the day is almost considered enough RAS to get you detained. :banghead:

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Ahh, the good old USA, where it's almost frowned upon and illegal to walk anywhere, and where walking in the middle of the day is almost considered enough RAS to get you detained. :banghead:

The interstate highway system was built because the United States was impressed with how fast the Nazi's could move equipment on the Autobahn.
Seems fitting that like so many modern things, we got the idea from Hitler.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Newspaper says a DMV cop tried to stop him for reckless driving but he sped away. He later crashed and fled on foot. Then tried to force his way into a tractor-trailer rig. I'm pretty sure he was under arrest at the time of the shooting incident.

And for those that are not aware, the proper name is Eisenhower National Defense Highway System. There is only one other road dedicated to national defense - US 1 from Maine to Key West is the Intercoastal Defense Highway - so designated after WWI (also thanks to the Germans - the Kaiser that time).

And yes, a bug is never a bad idea, even if you usually don't get into situations where the BG is trying to take your primary gun away from you. "Two is one, and one is none" for many reasons other than losing your gun to a grabber.

stay safe.

MilProGuy

Surely, you are speaking in jest. This is not a case of an innocent man, just walking along being arrested for doing nothing.

"the driver, later identified as Wheeler, fled on foot into a wooded area after an attempted traffic stop by a special agent with the Department of Motor Vehicles

...The agent attempted to stop Wheeler for reckless driving, Molnar said, but he was not located after a search.

...a tractor-trailor driver, who had stopped on the right shoulder to inspect a tire on I-95 South at the 118 mile marker in Thornburg, reported that a man approached him and attempted to gain access to his vehicle.

After placing Wheeler in his unmarked patrol car, Molnar said a violent struggle ensued.

“During the struggle, the suspect attempted to take control of the trooper’s service weapon when the weapon discharged striking the trooper in the leg...”

Last edited:

sidestreet

Well now...,

IF (and again, that's a mighty big IF) he was handcuffed, he wouldn't exactly be the first or only person we ever heard of that got out of cuffs and shot a cop, now would he? Plus the fact that he wouldn't have necessarily had the cuffs in the back when the "struggle ensued". Some folks can maneuver those cuffs around to the front in a jiffy!!!

Heck, I knew of a guy that broke three tie wraps (the big heavy duty type like the railroad uses to hold brake line air hose glad hands together),of course he was "dusted" at the time. Finally took him off of the train in Garner, N.C. where they used to have a state police training barracks, Looked like about a dozen Troopers and all the Town Fuzz they could muster up when we pulled in.

Just sayin'.

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

SovereignAxe

wtf, why would you want to let people walk on the Interstate? It's illegal to walk on the Interstate for a very good reason-cars are driving 50+ mph on it at all times and the last thing a motorist wants to worry about on the Interstate is pedestrians. Pedestrians need to keep on surface streets. There is no reason to walk on an Interstate highway unless you're walking from a stranded car.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
wtf, why would you want to let people walk on the Interstate? It's illegal to walk on the Interstate for a very good reason-cars are driving 50+ mph on it at all times and the last thing a motorist wants to worry about on the Interstate is pedestrians. Pedestrians need to keep on surface streets. There is no reason to walk on an Interstate highway unless you're walking from a stranded car.

That's the dumbest comment I've heard all week. It may just top HankT.:banghead:

Cars are going 50+ MPH on every highway in the country the reason to walk on one is the same as driving, to go from point A to B and what in hell is a "Surface Street"?

Elkad

Hands behind back? That only works on fat people. Anyone thin and limber can just pull them to the front.

Cuffs are easy to shim and/or pick as well with a bit of practice. Not to mention just hiding a cuff key.

Since I don't carry a BUG, for a retention-fight I'll go to the blade. But it's pretty much my default inside 5ft anyway.

SovereignAxe

That's the dumbest comment I've heard all week. It may just top HankT.:banghead:

Cars are going 50+ MPH on every highway in the country the reason to walk on one is the same as driving, to go from point A to B and what in hell is a "Surface Street"?

Ever notice how Interstate highways seem to be elevated above the land around it? A "surface street" would be the opposite. The Interstate is a limited access highway-meaning that access is limited-even by cars, to certain entrances and exits called...you guessed it: exits. The purpose of which is to facilitate the quick and efficient movement of motor vehicles only. Bicycles are not allowed. Motor vehicles that cannot sustain a minimum speed of 40 mph are not allowed. Pedestrians don't even come close to this restriction, so they need to stay on the surface streets-specifically the sidewalk. Have you never wondered why they don't put sidewalks on the Interstate.

So you think my comment was dumb? Considering that's coming from someone that can't understand this concept, that means absolutely nothing to me.

Last edited: