• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No alcohol if cc'ing a knife with a Wisconsin ccw license?

FarmerGreg

Does the no alcohol consumption still stand if your only carrying a knife in your pocket with a Wisconsin ccw license? Just curious because I see several people in bars drinking with a knife on there side. I don't want to have a knife in my pocket when having a drink if I could get in trouble.

Badger Johnson

Does the no alcohol consumption still stand if you're only carrying a knife in your pocket with a Wisconsin ccw license? Just curious because I see several people in bars drinking with a knife on their side. I don't want to have a knife in my pocket when having a drink if I could get in trouble.

If you SEE the knife, guess what? :)

Last edited:

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Does the no alcohol consumption still stand if your only carrying a knife in your pocket with a Wisconsin ccw license? Just curious because I see several people in bars drinking with a knife on there side. I don't want to have a knife in my pocket when having a drink if I could get in trouble.

The "no alcohol" statute (941.237) only mentions "handguns" so I would say it does not apply to carrying a knife.

The "go armed while under the influence" statute (941.20) only refers to "firearms" although the "negligent operation or handling" portion refers to a "dangerous weapon" without limiting it to only firearms.

RR_Broccoli

The standard "blue-collar guy knife on belt" didn't suddenly become illegal with the new concealed carry law.

They probably were, and still are under the length and other rules required to make it a "weapon". You can put a two inch folding Gerber in your pocket and go where ever you want, could before the law, and still can. If someone asks, it's a tool used to open boxes not a weapon. (Same thing applies to anything, pencils, pens, etc.)

Sure, some Po-po or person with a chip on their shoulder may make a big deal out of it, but if you are minding your own business and not a rowdy drunk chances are nothing will happen. People just don't care that much.