• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I feel like a sitting defenseless duck at work now.

FarmerGreg

I work in a large candy factory on 3rd shift. It's has always been in our handbook that employees can't carry a gun but now the company has posted sign's that say "No Guns No Kidding" now the world knows were defenseless. I wish they would take the sign's down!!! ;(

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
time to find a new job...

my wife's boss's husband (who works around the office and is kind of a head honcho being that he is the boss's husband) told my wife 'you better not have a gun in here' when she mentioned something about it. If they press the issue she's quitting.

Life > Job.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Oh wonderful - another public service announcement for the criminals:

"Look here, your next meal ticket is unarmed"

or to the abusive spouses,

"Get even here - they can't defend themselves."

There oughta be a law.....:banghead:

carsontech

Activist Member
Does your company have armed security guards assigned to each of you? Are there metal detectors and armed guards at each "check point" to make sure no one brings a gun in? I'm guessing the answer is no to both of those, and on top of it all, your company is advertising that it's defenseless.

Rhetorical questions, or not, up to you:
Is there any workplaces in your line of work that is carry friendly, or have no policy (neutral), you can apply to?
What are the consequences of disobeying the property owners policy at your current workplace?
Have you talked to any of the "higher ups" or property owner about how gun free zones are a bad idea?

EDIT: I start a reply, walk way, come back , finish it, click post, and there is already 3 replies. Must be a close to the weekend!

Last edited:

FarmerGreg

Andy's Candies is it? So I know and stop eating their candy.
No it's not Andy's. I understand why we can't have anything including a gun with us on the floor because a small part could get in the candy but wish they wouldn't advertise it on the front doors.

FarmerGreg

Does your company have armed security guards assigned to each of you? Are there metal detectors and armed guards at each "check point" to make sure no one brings a gun in? I'm guessing the answer is no to both of those, and on top of it all, your company is advertising that it's defenseless.

Rhetorical questions, or not, up to you:
Is there any workplaces in your line of work that is carry friendly, or have no policy (neutral), you can apply to?
What are the consequences of disobeying the property owners policy at your current workplace?
Have talked to any of the "higher ups" or property owner about how gun free zones are a bad idea?

EDIT: I start a reply, walk way, come back , finish it, click post, and there is already 3 replies. Must be a close to the weekend!
We have unarmed gard, gates at driveway's that are badge operated, badge operated turnstyles at main doors, security camera's at main doors, but no fence around the business and no metal detector's.

Kc.38

I think that I may have worked there back in the 70's. One time they had too drain a whole vat/tank because someone had dropped a wrist watch in it.

carsontech

Activist Member
We have unarmed gard, gates at driveway's that are badge operated, badge operated turnstyles at main doors, security camera's at main doors, but no fence around the business and no metal detector's.

Wow. So they provide no security/protection for their employees, and they have a policy that no tools for protection are allowed on the property. Just paraphrasing what everyone else has said, that's stupid! It's oh-so-common, though.

I'm in the same situation, as I work at a University that has the same type of policy. The university has no way to enforce the policy or anyway to protect employees. Sure, the campus has a police department, but my building is 10 miles away from campus, in the middle of nowhere. If someone decided to come shoot up the place, there's nothing stopping them besides a locked door and some glass windows, and the front door only locks after hours. Basically, if anyone decided to shoot up the place, no one would have a chance unless they could make it to their vehicle to retrieve their firearms. We house all important servers and networking infrastructure for the university. You would think the billions of dollars equipment and priceless information that is housed for the university, and countless other state programs, would have something besides a locked door and easily broken windows between sensitive server rooms.

Like Schlitz said, "Life > Job"

I would gladly work in gun friendly environment where I could carry (CC or OC, OC preferred) making half of what I make now. I could do that, but my wife and I made a stupid decision on buying a, relatively, big house that requires me to have a, relatively, good paying job since I'm the only one that works.

Once we get out of some debt we're looking to downsize dramatically. Sell the house, move to AZ, get a small house in the middle of no where, and get a job that I can protect myself at or become an entrepreneur. Simple living, no fancy crap. Just back to the basics of enjoying life by being able to take responsibility for our own lives. A roof over our heads, no other houses or a city in site, living off the land, guns, and ammo. God I can't wait.

I have not talked to any higher management because I fear it could set off red flags and put my job at risk.
Roger that, I know what you're talking about.

Last edited:
H

Herr Heckler Koch

Wisconsin is not a right-to-work state thanks to unions

@Carson, Wisconsin is not a right-to-work state, as is South Carolina, so jobs are not so easily changed thanks to unions.

RR_Broccoli

I work in a large candy factory on 3rd shift. It's has always been in our handbook that employees can't carry a gun but now the company has posted sign's that say "No Guns No Kidding" now the world knows were defenseless. I wish they would take the sign's down!!! ;(

The cow working administration at my workplace did the same thing. Company policy always has been, no weapons of any kind. It's in the handbook, we had to sign an agreement to abide by it. (Their building their rules I have no problem with any of this.) I have always carried a pocket knife for boxes, cutting ends off cables and such.

But NOW, there are signs at all the entrances per her idea.

"So, it's in the handbook what's with the cheap signs?"

"So our client's don't bring anything in." (We have very few clients in the building, and most of them fly here, so it's not like they bring an arsenal regularly. :rolleyes:)

"Ok, so why are there signs on the locked back doors that only employees use?"

She had read the liability clause and got it exactly backwards, thinking that there was immunity from civil liability if signs WERE posted. I corrected her in front of her boss. The signs remain up.

Though... they are up in drywall with thumb tacks. The type of mounting prone to coming loose over time....

msteinhilber

My place of employment has no intentions of posting but also has no intention in revising the company policy to allow firearms to be carried by employees. In fact, the only change made to the policy manual was to add a line to ensure the policy manual noted employees can lawfully stow their firearm(s) within their vehicle but still went on to prohibit them on company premises otherwise. Do I wish the policy was different, of course I do - but jobs are few and far between in my line of work at this point in time.

MilProGuy

Many employers do not permit firearms on their premises.

I worked at the Veteran's Administration Medical Center for several years, and firearms on the premises were forbidden.

Right or wrong, they are just exercising their rights to do so.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

I worked at the Veteran's Administration Medical Center for several years, and firearms on the premises were forbidden. Right or wrong, they are just exercising their rights to do so.

The government, the Veteran's Administration has no "rights," but only powers to be used against it's disfavored. Thank you for reminding me that and why I will never exercise my veteran's privilege to use the VA. Thank God I don't have to.

Last edited:

MilProGuy

The government, the Veteran's Administration has no "rights," but only powers to be used against it's disfavored. Thank you for reminding me that and why I will never exercise my veteran's privilege to use the VA. Thank God I don't have to.

Private sector employers do have rights, though.

It's their right to have a no firearms policy...just at it is the private citizen's right not to work there if their policies do not meet their approval.

MKEgal

goett047 said:
If your guns fall to pieces at random times you've got a issue...
LOL! I had a similar thought. 'Sides, if it's in a holster, what are the chances it would manage to fall into a batch of anything? How much of the production line is below waist level?

FarmerGreg said:
I have not talked to any higher management because I fear it could set off red flags and put my job at risk.
A common concern.
You could PM, email, or call a few trusted friends & get them to coordinate contacting the employer, including things like "we won't buy your product".
No way to trace it to you, & maybe coming from "outsiders" they'd listen better.

I, too, am curious what brand of candy to avoid.
Like to buy local when I can, but if they're endangering their employees...?
If you don't want to post here, you could PM or ask protias to add it to the sticky thread, or put it on www.friendorfoe.us

M

McX

well, if the do get past the token political correct security, you could offer them candy if they planned to kill you, it may soften them up, and they might only wound you instead.

i have found in life that those who post the prohibited signs are usually not around when the SHTF.

snack on.