• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seeking info from Oregonians

mb419

I have a cousin moving from Washington to Oregon and he is wanting to get a concealed pistol license. I don't know any of the reqs. for Oregon and he has a few questions; how long do you have to be a resident in order to apply for a permit, are there any classes that you have to take to receive a permit, does Oregon have reciprocity with Washington, how long is the usual wait for a permit? Thanks for any info.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I have a cousin moving from Washington to Oregon and he is wanting to get a concealed pistol license. I don't know any of the reqs. for Oregon and he has a few questions; how long do you have to be a resident in order to apply for a permit, are there any classes that you have to take to receive a permit, does Oregon have reciprocity with Washington, how long is the usual wait for a permit? Thanks for any info.

There's no minimum time required to be in state. You have to take a class to show you're not a bumbling idiot, some people take in-person CCW classes, some take online classes. I took the one at this website which is free. Just print out the certificate you get upon completion and turn that in along with your application. Oregon recognizes no out-of-state concealed handgun licenses, a few states recognize ours. The wait depends on the county. It took 28 days to get one in Benton County.

Some other info you might want to know that you didn't ask. You have to get fingerprinted. I think the cost of fingerprinting is included in the cost of the CHL application. You also have to show proof of residency, so a lease or maybe a utility bill or something is required.

Judge.410

Ccw

Oregon will issue out of state permits to residents of states that border Oregon. From start to finish for an Oregon permit for me was about 30 days and about 115 bucks......renewal was 50 bucks. They are right , Oregon honors no other states permits. HR 822 will help with National Resiprocity.....then you will most likely only need a permit in the state you reside and are good for travel thru most the Nation. I have 3 permits that allows me to CC in 34 states.....but only 1 drivers licences that allows me to drive in all 50. Some states require live fire or proof of it, and some states don't.....this is some of the reason for not honoring another states permit. I practise regularly, keep a log ,and try to attend 1 shooting school a year....hopefully this will help in court....hope and pray I never need it ! Good Luck

WHEN A MAN LOSES EVERYTHING........THEN HE LOSES IT! SEMPER PARATUS (ALWAYS READY)

hermannr

If your cousin is not moving from WA to OR for a month or two, I would be inclined to go to grant county and get a Non-resident Oregon permit (very permit friendly county). Then, when he actually moves to OR, he can convert his non-resident permit to a resident permit with no delays or waiting period. Same goes for his WA permit, he can just change it to a Non-resident permit with an address change.

Guy B. Meredith

The exact requirements may vary from county to county. In Marion county you need two LOCAL character references so you need to have been here long enough to impress at least two neighbors.

Last edited:

Puddin99

Campaign Veteran

Guy B. Meredith

Interesting. I'm going to have to call the sheriff's office to get some more information.

We moved to Salem from the SF Bay area and I began filling out the application months ago to celebrate being out of California. I had been told about character references and thought that my friends in SF gun clubs would satisfy the requirements. The application asks for two local references so I set it aside.

I just went back through the information packet and it just briefly mentions that part of the background check is based on response from "acquaintances". Much more generic.

hermannr

Hum, never heard that OR required "Character references"???? Oh wait a minute, they don't! (or at least the law doesn't)

As OR is a "Shall Issue", if you apply, they cannot deny if you do not give the (illegally) requested "character" references. I think I would apply Guy and watch them wiggle...and then give you your permit anyway.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
The law allows the state to ask for character references for initial applications only. They cannot limit it to local references.

Email Oregon Firearms Federation and ask them for help. He might actually let you use him as a reference. That's a warning sign to them not to violate the law.