Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man confronted for open carry, video

Man confronted for open carry, video

This guy stayed really calm and did a great job...thought some of you would enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXwP0...eature=related

It was foolish to approach the officer during the course of his traffic stop while wearing a handgun.

Of course, you have to know that the guy left home with the intent of having an open carry confrontation with LEO, so it appears that he accomplished what he set out to do.
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired

The guy's initial comments to the effect of "I'm just holding everyone accountable..." were inflammatory and unnecessary.

It would have been a different situation if a Rodney King scenario was going on, but, he had no business walking up to this officer with his video camera rolling during a routine traffic stop.
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired

For some reason I wasn't paying attention to him initiating the whole thing....

thanks for pointing it out.

I'm all for OC. I'm all for people filming their encounters with LEOs. Anyone who knows me can vouch for the fact that I am an active, vocal, well-spoken and well-educated advocate for OC, CC, and ALL 2A rights for law-abiding citizens.

But this guy walked up on a cop IN PROCESS of a traffic stop, visibly armed, taping and he verbally addressed the cop without reason or cause.

Considering the recent events in Virginia, guys like this will probably NOT be dealt with in a much less friendly manner in the future.

Walking down the street OCing in a perfect lawful way is once thing, and if an LEO initiates an encounter, then it SHOULD be taped.

But walking up to a cop, in the middle of a traffic stop while OCing and interrupting him in th ecourse of his duty is not only supremely STUPID, but it is just plain rude, and shows a tremendous lack of common courtesy, professional respect, and good judgement.

I'm not impressed, and in fact, it is wingnuts like this guy who's overzealous "activism" gives law-abiding OCers a bad name as "attention ******" and "putting it in people's face"...

This is probably one of the only times I'm in complete agreement with "MilProGuy". The end times must surely be upon us...
    Last edited by Dreamer; 12-11-2011 at 12:25 PM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

At least he didn't have a Draco with the muzzle painted orange...
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

I've seen this one before and the guy is a ******.

Seems like the guy was looking for trouble. I can't be bothered to watch the entire video. The guy with the camera should have been given a friendly lecture about not walking up on an officer in the middle of a stop just to say hi and make his presence known. Doesn't matter if he's armed or not, just plain stupid.

Sense I didn't watch the whole video, I can't make a concrete statement about the officer, but I'm not ready to condemn him.

What business did he have to walk up to the police officer in the first place? He says it's to keep people accountable, but when did that become his job or responsibility?

He then leaves the scene and states he's going to walk the streets to keep people accountable. Sorry, but it is not his job nor his responsibility to keep other people accountable.

I agree with others, he was looking for trouble. He was looking for a LEO encounter that day.
    Last edited by Steeler-gal; 12-14-2011 at 08:42 AM. Reason: correcting typos

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Since you did not bother to watch the entire video, your concrete opinion of the citizen carries the same weight as your 'no opinion' regarding the LEO.
    I watched the first couple minutes, enough to be able say "hey the guy with the camera was wrong and possibly looking for trouble"

Posted using my HTC Evo

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-gal View Post
    What business did he have to walk up to the police officer in the first place? He says it's to keep people accountable, but when did that become his job or responsibility?

He then leaves the scene and states he's going to walk the streets to keep people accountable. Sorry, but it is not his job nor his responsibility to keep other people accountable.

I agree with others, he was looking for trouble. He was looking for a LEO encounter that day.
    Who watches the watchman?

truly dangerous stunt

to walk up armed to the SF officer or any officer for that matter, while they are in the performance of their duty... especially after the tragic events at VT.

I think we might have seen different footage if that had occurred after that...

i personally think the SF officers exhibited tremendous restraint in dealing w/this individual...

wabbit

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    I do not refute your assessment. In fact I agree. Yet, what is 'socially acceptable' and what is legal/illegal is the point.

He committed a social faux pas, nothing more and nothing less. The remainder of the video and the cops actions documented therein seem to be irrelevant to some.
    I never said the man committed a crime. Just that it was stupid and a lecture was warranted. If you feel you need to record an officer in the execution of his duties, then do so from the sidelines. There is no need to get close like that and announce your presence. Again, I suspect the individual was just looking to cause a scene.

go jump into this discussion on the same video...

I feel as thought what the guy did was wrong. Looking for trouble is not good.

If this guy had been minding his own business, and a LEO confronted him, then that would have been a different story.

The video taker is a member of a Free Rights org called 'Cop Block' which go around and try to block cops from issuing citations and other items that the org does not agree with. In several of his other recordings he is referred to as a Free Stater and extremest.

You can watch a bunch of other similar situations on there youtube change 'TheCopBlock'. Normally, he does not carry a firearm.
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

Walking up on a traffic stop isn't the brightest move, but is not technically illegal.

However, the guy was well within his rights to open carry and refuse to present his ID. The cops were not within their right to attempt to coerce him to produce his ID. Since the individual did not interfere in the performance of the officer's duties, the officer's "my scene" ploys were BS. He and the other guy knew it, and knew if they pushed the issue when the individual finally left, they'd be facing a lawsuit.

So, bad on the guy for not having sound enough judgement to remain distant from the scene, but good on him for knowing the law and standing up for his rights.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Guy was a ****** to go up on the cop and was clearly LOOKING for a an encounter.... he got what he wanted.

Now, if he had just been walking down the street and this happened, then I would have cried foul on the cops... but he instigated the contact from the get go...

That said, he handled himself wonderfully.... and I ALWAYS CRACK A SMILE when someone announces to the cops that they are leaving and they DO.... Those LEOs must have been PISSED that they couldn't do anything... but kudos to them for NOT doing anything. I think it was fine for them to approach him and ask for ID... not fine to bother him for so long.... not cool to lie to him, but I understand why they do... and great for him to stand up and walk away.
    When you put the gun in the holster, put the ego in the gun safe.

Quote Originally Posted by HKcarrier View Post
    Guy was a ****** to go up on the cop and was clearly LOOKING for a an encounter.... he got what he wanted.

Now, if he had just been walking down the street and this happened, then I would have cried foul on the cops... but he instigated the contact from the get go...

That said, he handled himself wonderfully.... and I ALWAYS CRACK A SMILE when someone announces to the cops that they are leaving and they DO.... Those LEOs must have been PISSED that they couldn't do anything... but kudos to them for NOT doing anything. I think it was fine for them to approach him and ask for ID... not fine to bother him for so long.... not cool to lie to him, but I understand why they do... and great for him to stand up and walk away.

I respect you opinion that he instigated the initial contact. You also state that you felt it was fine for them to approach and demand ID. Let me ask you, what do you feel was the RAS for demanding ID? It is already established that filming the police during their duties is not illegal and that openly carrying a firearm is not illegal. The officer had already let the gentleman leave the area where the incident took place, so obviously he did not deem the man a threat at that time. What reasonable suspicion do you think the officer had that gave him the right to stop the man and demand that he identify himself?

It seems that we both agree on the outcome, but we may disagree on the circumstances.
    AUDE VIDE TACE

Quote Originally Posted by Aknazer View Post
    Who watches the watchman?
    Funny how everyone here has an opinion as they sit on their asses, in the comfort of their home, and do nothing.

Key board freedom fighters one and all. Taking back the country one opinion at a time.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Quote Originally Posted by HandyHamlet View Post
    Key board freedom fighters one and all. Taking back the country one opinion at a time.
    Occupy Keyboard VA

That's so awesome I'm stealing it.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by HandyHamlet; 12-21-2011 at 02:52 PM.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

I love the this can go down two ways part. Either he is breaking a law or not. The one cop says he feels he has the right to check ID.

In these circumstances, the cop has the freedom and authority to ask him for his ID. He doesn't have the right to check his ID.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by SavageOne View Post
    I respect you opinion that he instigated the initial contact. You also state that you felt it was fine for them to approach and demand ID. Let me ask you, what do you feel was the RAS for demanding ID? It is already established that filming the police during their duties is not illegal and that openly carrying a firearm is not illegal. The officer had already let the gentleman leave the area where the incident took place, so obviously he did not deem the man a threat at that time. What reasonable suspicion do you think the officer had that gave him the right to stop the man and demand that he identify himself?

It seems that we both agree on the outcome, but we may disagree on the circumstances.

Demand? Who said anything about demand? It is already been decided in court cases that officers are allowed to have casual contact with a "suspect" and I agree with that... there is nothing wrong with the officers approaching and asking (ASKING) to see ID. If their request is denied, and the person decides to walk away and say nothing or whatever, then that is fine too (obviously).

I never said it was ok for them to approach and demand ID, nor did my post even USE the word DEMAND. Good job at putting words in my mouth though.
    When you put the gun in the holster, put the ego in the gun safe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast