• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man confronted for open carry, video

MilProGuy

It was foolish to approach the officer during the course of his traffic stop while wearing a handgun.

Of course, you have to know that the guy left home with the intent of having an open carry confrontation with LEO, so it appears that he accomplished what he set out to do.

MilProGuy

The guy's initial comments to the effect of "I'm just holding everyone accountable..." were inflammatory and unnecessary.

It would have been a different situation if a Rodney King scenario was going on, but, he had no business walking up to this officer with his video camera rolling during a routine traffic stop.

eringdf

For some reason I wasn't paying attention to him initiating the whole thing.... :uhoh:

thanks for pointing it out.

Dreamer

I'm all for OC. I'm all for people filming their encounters with LEOs. Anyone who knows me can vouch for the fact that I am an active, vocal, well-spoken and well-educated advocate for OC, CC, and ALL 2A rights for law-abiding citizens.

But this guy walked up on a cop IN PROCESS of a traffic stop, visibly armed, taping and he verbally addressed the cop without reason or cause.

Considering the recent events in Virginia, guys like this will probably NOT be dealt with in a much less friendly manner in the future.

Walking down the street OCing in a perfect lawful way is once thing, and if an LEO initiates an encounter, then it SHOULD be taped.

But walking up to a cop, in the middle of a traffic stop while OCing and interrupting him in th ecourse of his duty is not only supremely STUPID, but it is just plain rude, and shows a tremendous lack of common courtesy, professional respect, and good judgement.

I'm not impressed, and in fact, it is wingnuts like this guy who's overzealous "activism" gives law-abiding OCers a bad name as "attention whores" and "putting it in people's face"...

This is probably one of the only times I'm in complete agreement with "MilProGuy". The end times must surely be upon us... :uhoh:

Last edited:

Jack House

Seems like the guy was looking for trouble. I can't be bothered to watch the entire video. The guy with the camera should have been given a friendly lecture about not walking up on an officer in the middle of a stop just to say hi and make his presence known. Doesn't matter if he's armed or not, just plain stupid.

Sense I didn't watch the whole video, I can't make a concrete statement about the officer, but I'm not ready to condemn him.

Steeler-gal

What business did he have to walk up to the police officer in the first place? He says it's to keep people accountable, but when did that become his job or responsibility?

He then leaves the scene and states he's going to walk the streets to keep people accountable. Sorry, but it is not his job nor his responsibility to keep other people accountable.

I agree with others, he was looking for trouble. He was looking for a LEO encounter that day.

Last edited:

Jack House

Since you did not bother to watch the entire video, your concrete opinion of the citizen carries the same weight as your 'no opinion' regarding the LEO.
I watched the first couple minutes, enough to be able say "hey the guy with the camera was wrong and possibly looking for trouble"

Posted using my HTC Evo

Aknazer

What business did he have to walk up to the police officer in the first place? He says it's to keep people accountable, but when did that become his job or responsibility?

He then leaves the scene and states he's going to walk the streets to keep people accountable. Sorry, but it is not his job nor his responsibility to keep other people accountable.

I agree with others, he was looking for trouble. He was looking for a LEO encounter that day.

Who watches the watchman?

ncwabbit

truly dangerous stunt

to walk up armed to the SF officer or any officer for that matter, while they are in the performance of their duty... especially after the tragic events at VT.

I think we might have seen different footage if that had occurred after that...

i personally think the SF officers exhibited tremendous restraint in dealing w/this individual...

wabbit

Jack House

I do not refute your assessment. In fact I agree. Yet, what is 'socially acceptable' and what is legal/illegal is the point.

He committed a social faux pas, nothing more and nothing less. The remainder of the video and the cops actions documented therein seem to be irrelevant to some.
I never said the man committed a crime. Just that it was stupid and a lecture was warranted. If you feel you need to record an officer in the execution of his duties, then do so from the sidelines. There is no need to get close like that and announce your presence. Again, I suspect the individual was just looking to cause a scene.

FMJ 911

I feel as thought what the guy did was wrong. Looking for trouble is not good.

If this guy had been minding his own business, and a LEO confronted him, then that would have been a different story.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
The video taker is a member of a Free Rights org called 'Cop Block' which go around and try to block cops from issuing citations and other items that the org does not agree with. In several of his other recordings he is referred to as a Free Stater and extremest.

You can watch a bunch of other similar situations on there youtube change 'TheCopBlock'. Normally, he does not carry a firearm.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Walking up on a traffic stop isn't the brightest move, but is not technically illegal.

However, the guy was well within his rights to open carry and refuse to present his ID. The cops were not within their right to attempt to coerce him to produce his ID. Since the individual did not interfere in the performance of the officer's duties, the officer's "my scene" ploys were BS. He and the other guy knew it, and knew if they pushed the issue when the individual finally left, they'd be facing a lawsuit.

So, bad on the guy for not having sound enough judgement to remain distant from the scene, but good on him for knowing the law and standing up for his rights.

HKcarrier

Guy was a douche to go up on the cop and was clearly LOOKING for a an encounter.... he got what he wanted.

Now, if he had just been walking down the street and this happened, then I would have cried foul on the cops... but he instigated the contact from the get go...

That said, he handled himself wonderfully.... and I ALWAYS CRACK A SMILE when someone announces to the cops that they are leaving and they DO.... Those LEOs must have been PISSED that they couldn't do anything... but kudos to them for NOT doing anything. I think it was fine for them to approach him and ask for ID... not fine to bother him for so long.... not cool to lie to him, but I understand why they do... and great for him to stand up and walk away.

SavageOne

Guy was a douche to go up on the cop and was clearly LOOKING for a an encounter.... he got what he wanted.

Now, if he had just been walking down the street and this happened, then I would have cried foul on the cops... but he instigated the contact from the get go...

That said, he handled himself wonderfully.... and I ALWAYS CRACK A SMILE when someone announces to the cops that they are leaving and they DO.... Those LEOs must have been PISSED that they couldn't do anything... but kudos to them for NOT doing anything. I think it was fine for them to approach him and ask for ID... not fine to bother him for so long.... not cool to lie to him, but I understand why they do... and great for him to stand up and walk away.

I respect you opinion that he instigated the initial contact. You also state that you felt it was fine for them to approach and demand ID. Let me ask you, what do you feel was the RAS for demanding ID? It is already established that filming the police during their duties is not illegal and that openly carrying a firearm is not illegal. The officer had already let the gentleman leave the area where the incident took place, so obviously he did not deem the man a threat at that time. What reasonable suspicion do you think the officer had that gave him the right to stop the man and demand that he identify himself?

It seems that we both agree on the outcome, but we may disagree on the circumstances.