• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A bit off-topic: Video and Audio Recording of LEOs

MilProGuy

“What all of this was was the police just hassling him,” Patrick Anderson, one of the lawyers who handled the case, said in a statement. “If this thing had not been on video, then this man would have had to face the word of two police officers and would have been in trouble in court.”

No...if the man had not been recording the police officers, they would not have said anything to him in the first place, and there would have been no arrest.

It seems the fellow got the attention he so desperately was craving.

John Canuck

You must have read a different article than the one I saw. He was recoding a New Black Panthers get together. The police happened to be on the periphery and were also recorded. Is there a law against this, or do bullies just not like getting caught on film?

It sounds like this was a retaliation arrest.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
“What all of this was was the police just hassling him,” Patrick Anderson, one of the lawyers who handled the case, said in a statement. “If this thing had not been on video, then this man would have had to face the word of two police officers and would have been in trouble in court.”

No...if the man had not been recording the police officers, they would not have said anything to him in the first place, and there would have been no arrest.

Aaaah, now that's the MilPro I've grown to expect.

Both Video and Audio recording of ANYONE, in public is legal in Va.
Arresting him was not.

Sure, if you hide from the cops you won't get their attention, if you keep quiet you won't get their attention, if you leave your gun at home you won't get their attention.

Being a coward doesn't sit well with me.

Yes they were just hassling him. That's the stuff lawsuits are made of.

Last edited:

MilProGuy

Aaaah, now that's the MilPro I've grown to expect...

...Being a coward doesn't sit well with me.

We all have our own perspectives on these matters.

Getting yourself arrested for absolutely no good reason doesn't set too well with me.:uhoh:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Getting yourself arrested for absolutely no good reason doesn't set too well with me.:uhoh:

So you are saying that you, personally, do not want to incur the inconvenience associated with standing up for your rights against a jackbooted thug? My major problem with someone who is willing to let their rights be trampled in order to avoid inconvenience is that they set up an expectation by the jackbooted thugs that others will roll over as well. That means that when they run into someone who is not willing to give up their rights it becomes just that much more inconvenient for the person standing up against jackbooted thuggery.

My own experiences, and readings in history, suggest that most of the folks who stood up for their rights did not set out to be heroes - for the most part they were just ordinary folks who were tired of putting up with jackassery that they "knew" was either legally or morally wrong.

But, as you say, we all have our own perspectives on what is important. I hope you will understand why I will ask you to stand somewhere other than with me - both now and when They come for us all.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
So you are saying that you, personally, do not want to incur the inconvenience associated with standing up for your rights against a jackbooted thug? .

Yep, he's saying that. That's why he got kicked out of Mississippi and has to hopscotch around the country annoying others.:lol:

scouser

MilProGuy said:

Please explain what is wrong with recording anyone in VIRGINIA and, when you do, PLEASE CITE THE RELEVENT SECTION OF VIRGINIA LAW that states it is an arrestable offense.

When the majority of us go out with our firearms and our voice recorders we are not craving attention, many of us are actually wanting to be left alone. Please don't mislead the uninformed by making them believe that covering their asses is the wrong thing to do. The voice recorders we have are recording for a reason, if it comes down to a 'he said, they said' situation we can prove what was said.

I'd attempt to explain further but feel that would be as futile as spitting into the wind

scouser

MilProGuy said:

Getting yourself arrested for absolutely no good reason is EXACTLY why any sane person would want to be recording. Would come in very handy when you have your day in court.

It was before my time here but wasn't there a guy in the Tidewater area who made out quite well over the cops enforcing their 'no good reason'?

MilProGuy

Please explain what is wrong with recording anyone in VIRGINIA and, when you do, PLEASE CITE THE RELEVENT SECTION OF VIRGINIA LAW that states it is an arrestable offense...

...I'd attempt to explain further but feel that would be as futile as spitting into the wind

I didn't say it was an arrestable offense...I merely gave an opinion that I feel this fellow got himself arrested for no good reason.

If I am ever arrested, read my rights, handcuffed and taken into police custody, it will have to be for a lot more substantial reason than refusing to turn my video camera off.

coondog22554

I didn't say it was an arrestable offense...I merely gave an opinion that I feel this fellow got himself arrested for no good reason.

If I am ever arrested, read my rights, handcuffed and taken into police custody, it will have to be for a lot more substantial reason than refusing to turn my video camera off.

Nope, you still don't get it.

gm2max

one might want to argue the red light camera's along most intersections in VA. They dont bother me, because most of the time I have my tailgate down, and I have no front license plate. cant see my tags from above.

How is this different from a handheld video camera? the police officer gets taped when he goes into walmart, food lion, mcdonalds, and DUNKIN DONUTS. (lol)

xd shooter

I didn't say it was an arrestable offense

Wow. Serious question here, do you think it was OK for that officer to arrest him KNOWING or BELIEVING that it was not an arrestable offense?

Why do you think that's ok?

If I personally violate your rights, is that OK with you?

MilProGuy

Wow. Serious question here, do you think it was OK for that officer to arrest him KNOWING or BELIEVING that it was not an arrestable offense? No, I don't.

Why do you think that's ok? In light of my first answer, this question is irrelevant.

If I personally violate your rights, is that OK with you? No, it isn't.

The guy got himself arrested for no good reason, in my opinion, but...I didn't say the officer was justified in making the arrest.

MilProGuy

Wrong. The OFFICER arrested him for no good reason.

See the difference?

I do see the difference.

But...all the guy had to do was stop recording. He could have moved to another vantage point and began recording again.

He didn't, and got himself arrested some for something that was totally avoidable.

The point I've been attempting to make is this: After all is said and done, was it worth to get arrested for something so trivial? Something, in the grand scheme of things that was so asinine and meaningless?

I think not.

Last edited: