• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

22 handgun

jonjon_jon

I was consider buying a 22 handgun sometime in near future just for practice, as I'm sure you're all aware of ammo isn't cheap. Any suggestions or input on a affordable semi auto for a target gun? I have considered buying a pellet gun to help improve my game but feel thats getting to far away from a actual firearm? (Is it)?

I know there's a wealth of knowledge on this forum so even if this seems like novice question to some of you, I thought I'd get some different opinions before I lay out any hard earned cash.

Thank you, for any input you may have.

SovereignAxe

I'm a huge fan of the Ruger Standard/Mark series of pistols. I have a Mk I myself. It's just missing the bolt hold-open of the Mk II, and the added "safety" features of the Mk III (mag disconnect, loaded chamber indicator). The whole series is very customizable, comes in a variety of shapes, barrel lengths and weights (they have a polymer framed version shaped like a 1911's frame and then they have tapered barrels, heavy barrels, fluted barrels, and slab sided barrels), and is as reliable as your ammo will allow.

They've been in continuous production since 1950 so accessories are plentiful, as is troubleshooting info and spare parts.

and yes, IMO a pellet gun would be too far away from a real firearm. There's no rifling so you won't get a good handle on your accuracy.

Last edited:

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
A Sig Mosquito would be a good option, it's got the dimensions and weight of a 229??? or is it a 226?? regardless it handles like a higher caliber firearm allowing you to simulate drills with it more effectively.

Darkshadow62988

Activist Member
The Sig Mosquito and the Walther p22 are both good options. They are a bit picky about ammo. They will shoot anything CCI, but if you buy bulk packs of Federal or Winchester you may be running a few more failure drills than you want(I like this fact and use it as a way to get in more practice). If you are considering getting an M&P you can get one in .22LR as well. They are the exact same shape and size, break down just like the p22 and are very reliable. If I buy another handgun for training it will be the M&P in .22LR to go with my M&P 9c.

PiercedMaineOC

Love my P22. As Darkshadow said, they can be picky about ammo. Mine certainly was for the first thousand+ rounds - numerous failures to eject and feed. After that though, runs pretty fantastic. The occasional failure, but as Dark pointed out, it makes for a good training tool. Walther suggests running only CCI minimags through it, but that'll get pricy fast. So if you end up with one, don't give up on it early! It will get better. Oh and don't be generous with the oil when when cleaning. I find that I have the most problems with it if I was to liberal with cleaning.
Hope that helps some in your research and shopping around.

X

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I have a P22 and I love it. Works great and is really reliable for a .22. I also have a Sig Mosquito which I consider my worst gun purchase. Super picky on ammo, jams up a lot. (Individual experiences may vary) If I had to make a recommendation I would go with the P22 or one of the Rugers.

hermannr

High Standard Trophy, Browning Buckmark, Colt Woodsman, are all top grade .22 target pistols.

If you have some guns (like the CZ75(B) you can purchase a Kit (Called the Kadet for the CZ 75) that is a spring, barrel, slide and mag to convert your CZ75 from 9mm to .22. That is really nice because you are actually shooting your carry with a conversion. High Standard as a 1911/45/22 if you can find one.

MainelyGlock

I have two P22's, and they'll fire just about anything you'll put through it. The size does feel a little awkward in my larger hands, but they are very nice guns.

Also, , not to echo the post above mine, but you could always try and find a .22 conversion kit. More and more gun companies are starting to make them, and I've seen some on uncle henry's for pretty cheap recently.

maxluff

.22 pistol: Buckmark

I cannot speak to highly of the Browning Buckmark. This has been the best .22 pistol that I have owned. Even better then my coveted Rugar Mark III!

boyscout399

Consider a quality airsoft gun of the same make and model of your carry gun. The good ones are pretty expensive (300-400) but they will accurately simulate the weight, function, and trigger of your carry gun. If you practice with a p22 but carry a HK USP you're not getting much practical practice. I'd want my practice gun to have to same mag release, same safeties, same grip angle, etc as my carry gun.

jonjon_jon

A Sig Mosquito would be a good option, it's got the dimensions and weight of a 229??? or is it a 226?? regardless it handles like a higher caliber firearm allowing you to simulate drills with it more effectively.

Well things don't alway turn out like planned. Early last week I saw another FN I just had to have. I put it on order through Cool hand Luke gun shop. Money's been tight and I'm trying to justifiy this purchase to myself and figure out how I'm going tell the other half that I spent this money after bitching about work all winter. Well we decide to take ride to Cabela's for something to do on rainy day. To my suprise she decides to buy her first gun a Sig Mosiquito. Well this is great news cause I know that I'll be able to borrow it! This wouldn't have been my first choice but she loved it, so we went with the Sig. I hope she has good luck with this and it's not to finicky with the ammo. The reviews on this gun are all over the place.

Last edited:

SovereignAxe

Well things don't alway turn out like planned. Early last week I saw another FN I just had to have. I put it on order through Cool hand Luke gun shop. Money's been tight and I'm trying to justifiy this purchase to myself and figure out how I'm going tell the other half that I spent this money after bitching about work all winter. Well we decide to take ride to Cabela's for something to do on rainy day. To my suprise she decides to buy her first gun a Sig Mosiquito. Well this is great news cause I know that I'll be able to borrow it! This wouldn't have been my first choice but she loved it, so we went with the Sig. I hope she has good luck with this and it's not to finicky with the ammo. The reviews on this gun are all over the place.

I've heard mixed reviews as well, but I've also heard that that gun has a break-in period before it gets good.

From what I've read it seems like the best course of action is to feed it a healthy dose of CCI mini-mags for the first few hundred rounds of its life (I'd say do it in 200-300 round trips at least to get the gun good and hot. Then repeat two or three times to for a total of at least 600 rounds-more if you don't mind spending the money). After that it'll apparently get much more reliable with other cheap stuff.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
My Walther P22 seems to like most everything I can give it, which is mostly Remington Thunderbolt (I had some given to me, I would never buy it) and Federal bulk packs, which I buy by the case. CCI MiniMags are perhaps the best non-match grade ammo you can buy, and in my Bullseye pistol are almost as accurate as match-grade, also.

A gun needs to fit your hand to enjoy shooting it. I hated the Sig Mosquito the instant I held it, even though I love the bigger Sigs. But the Walther, while still small, fit like a glove. In this genre, I would include the new Ruger SR22, which felt almost as good in my hand as my Walther.

I also have a couple Ruger Mark II pistols. These are far more reliable and accurate than my Walther P22. They are also much, much heavier. The Browning Buckmark has an outstanding reputation, and even the S&W cheap .22s are known for their accuracy, like the Rugers and Brownings.

If you own a 1911, you can get a .22 conversion kit for $200-$300, the latter being like my high-end Kimber model. I can't say enough good things about it for accuracy; it has won me several trophies in the rimfire class for a local Bullseye club (with CCI MiniMags!)

There are conversion kits for Glocks, CZs, High-Powers, Sigs, and other pistols, but I've no experience with them.