• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Christmas - A time to remember the defenders of freedom & say thank you

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
For the last 20 years a man in Maine (< link to story) has donated as many Christmas wreaths as he could to be placed on the graves of service personnel at Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia. This year 100,000 such wreaths were placed as a symbol of appreciation - IMO a most fitting way to express what we too often forget to do - to remember and express our gratitude.

Some gave their last true measure, never to hold their families and friends again in this world. Others were luckier and returned to be good and productive members of society, hiding their scars and painful memories from the rest of us. We were diminished in their passing, yet borne aloft by their deeds. They are the very essence of the character of this country.

wreaths-across-america

Credit: Jose Luis Magana/AP

Please no OT or politics on this thread.

Feel free to comment or post similar such tributes fitting of the season and honoring our service personnel.

MilProGuy

The image of the cemetery, adorned with Christmas wreaths is, in and of itself, one that causes me to pause and give thanks for all those who have served our nation in the Armed Forces.

What an absolutely wonderful tribute this man has given.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Another poignant photo from a Christmas past in Arlington.

Image1.jpg

Thank you each and every one - each man is my brother.......

MilProGuy

Honoring those who died at Pearl Harbor during this Christmas Season.

The link to the photograph doesn't work, but I felt that our World War II Pearl Harbor casualties deserved this Honorable Mention during this special time of the year when we count our blessings.

Last edited: