• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any indoor pistol ranges near Neenah/Appleton/Oshkosh?

Interceptor_Knight

I'm wondering if there are any indoor ranges in the Neenah/Appleton/Oshkosh area. Its starting to get a bit cold out and I usually shoot at Twin City Rod and Gun Club, but I would like somewhere a little warmer and out of the wind to shoot at. Cheaper would be better, I plan on going quite a bit, so I'm not particularly interested in spending $10 a time or something, but I'm okay with a yearly membership fee.

While the targets are not indoor, Nicolet Rifle Club near Green Bay (Suamico) has a heated shooting booth where you can fire handguns or long guns as far as 50 yards.

Last edited:

mrmike.me

Almost

I'm almost there for you. Green Bay is a lot closer than other range options, but you will have to wait until February to use our range.

www.FamilyShootingAcademy.com

I am working hard to open the doors. In fact I am on tonight working on the website. Look for more information coming before Christmas!

I do know of a guy in Appleton trying to get the money together for a range. He wants to open in May. I wish him the best but I know how hard this whole process is. Six moths from $0 to open is very ambitious. I don't know the guy; maybe he can pull it off.

-Mike

Interceptor_Knight

I'm almost there for you. Green Bay is a lot closer than other range options, but you will have to wait until February to use our range.

I am working hard to open the doors. In fact I am on tonight working on the website. Look for more information coming before Christmas!

I do know of a guy in Appleton trying to get the money together for a range. He wants to open in May. I wish him the best but I know how hard this whole process is. Six moths from $0 to open is very ambitious. I don't know the guy; maybe he can pull it off.

-Mike

I can't wait!!

It is going to be awesome to have an actual indoor range locally!!

It is VERY cool that you have the Boy Scout fundraising link on your web page!!! :)

DangerClose

Shioctin has a nice outdoor range...

Shiocton's is outside, but it's great. I just wish the idiots wouldn't be such obvious idiots. Leaving paper targets and .22 shells is one thing, but leaving shot-up VCRs and big 12-gauge shotgun shells all over the ground is something else. Stop ruining it for everyone else and clean up your mess, n00bs!

That reminds me, I was going to email a thanks to their police department for taking care of the range there.

Last edited:

DangerClose

Sounds like a good range. I was looking at the information about it; they allow full auto, so I assume rapid fire is allowed? I usually shoot at Twin City, which has a rule of like a shot per 5 seconds; not very useful for defensive shooting practice. Can you setup targets at any range for pistols? I'd like to do some shooting at 5-7 yards.

It's so hard to find the pdf for the range that has a few pictures of it on there and range times, etc. Strange.

I've never heard of anyone getting heat for rapid fire. Not like there's an official range officer or anyone on duty there or anything. There's three ranges side by side separated by a big hill of dirt, and then there's a newer pistol range down a different road that is separate from the other three ranges. 80 (100?) yards, 500 (600?) yards, a 25 or so yard, and the "official" pistol range is like 15 yards. (Sign on it says "Sponsored by the NRA," btw.) $3 donation fee. Yes, you read that right.

It's located in/near the city park with baseball fields and a swimming pond. There's no road blocks for when it's closed, but there are signs with the main rules on them, and the signs will say open or closed. I think it's rare it's closed, but it can be. They closed it during some if not all of deer hunting.

I think the extended rules pdf says don't shoot at the dirt, so a close target on a longer range may not be ideal, but the official pistol range is short and has a huge wall of dirt for a backstop. I think the only thing about putting targets even closer than 15 yards is making sure they're high enough to hit the dirt backstop and not the ground. Or if you're there and it's not crowded, just be on the other end of the range and stand closer to the target/backstop when shooting.

It's a friendly neighborhood shooting range. There are some rules posted, but common sense is the main rule. I don't think most anyone will care about what someone does as long as they do it safely and aren't a moron. The more people there, the more strict you have to be for safety reasons, of course.

Speaking of morons, one time I was there not long after the new pistol range area opened. They have big 5x5 or so feet rubber netting to hang targets on. I went there, there were shotgun shells all over the ground, and a couple of the nets were shredded obviously from that. They blow stuff to crap and can't even be bothered to pick up their bright red shotgun shells littering up the ground.

muskrat

-Mike

Awesome! I just got a Springfield 1911 and was looking for a local range!!!

Let me know if you want help with the website. I work in IT. :D

Zeus

Use to be a member at Twin City. I got tired of the Fudds chasing everyone off and scolding guys like they were their kids for shooting more than one round every 3 seconds. Shiocton just put in some new pistol target setups, pretty nice. Kaukauna has a nice range with steel to shoot but only goes to 100yrd. The guy in Appleton I believe you are referring to is Wisconsin Tactical Training, http://wisconsintacticaltraining.com/ He's been in the works for over a year. Looking forward to the range in GB opening. My wife finally got her permit today and needs some range time.