• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Emily gets her gun (Washington Times)

Oramac

To my pleasant surprise, he agreed with me. “The Glock looks like a brick,” he said, laughing. “And life’s too short to carry an ugly gun.” Since all the guns do the same thing, I might as well like the looks of if since it’s an expensive item.
:DLove it

Looks don't mean jack squat if it jams when you need it. Glocks may not be pretty, but they just flat work. IMO, life may become short if you prefer a pretty gun over a functional gun.

okboomer

Any opportunity we have to use the First Amendment to support the Second Amendment, we should take it.

The "First Two" are the most important--ALL other Rights and Liberties hinge on those two being intact. And the level of tyranny in a society is DIRECTLY proportional to the restrictions placed on speech, the press, and firearms ownership.

Ms. Miller is indeed a patriot and a hero.

:lol: - I was always taught that the 2nd GUARANTEES the 1st! :cool:

Steeler-gal

Looks don't mean jack squat if it jams when you need it. Glocks may not be pretty, but they just flat work. IMO, life may become short if you prefer a pretty gun over a functional gun.

Precisely why I hate guns that are pink or made to look feminine. It's a tool not an accessory to my outfit.

Sent using Tapatalk

Jack House

You know it is possible to have a gun that both looks good and shoots great. ;)

Baked on Grease

Anyone have access to Emily?

I notice that she has the XDm as one of her firearm choices, the only 1 that is legal in DC is the .45 sub compact, because it carryies less than 10 rounds, but even then it COMES with a full size magazine and extender in the package so it might be illegal too with that magazine along for the ride. DC does not allow any firearm that can hold more than ten rounds. It seemed she was mostly looking at 9mm semi auto, and all XDm are double stack, so no 9mm for her there. She needs to look into single stack if she wants to go with 9mm. I love the XDm line, but stupid DC beuracrats make the rules there >.<

I don't know about the others she has on the poll, but I wouldn't want her to spend $5-600 on a gun only to find out it's illegal, even though that would make for a good story for her to write about... Supposing she survives the legal issues.

I tried posting to the blog but the sign up proccess is bugging out on me and won't let me in. Can anyone warn her by email or such, or post this to her blog for me?

Sent using tapatalk

Baked on Grease

Springfield has a similar reputation with their polymer XD and XDm line, and while similar, they do look much better to me. You CAN have both functionand vanity.

If all one cares about is vanity, how about a Deagle? :D

Sent using tapatalk

Last edited:

SovereignAxe

There are plenty of better looking guns than Glock that just flat work as well. All of the guns on her list just work except maybe the Hi-Point (anecdotal evidence says otherwise, though). And the Beretta, S&W, XDm and SIG are all better looking...ok, the SIG's not so pretty, but it's still a great gun lol

btw, I find it odd that so many people are voting for the SIG. If she were to go with a SIG I would recommend the larger 226 since she isn't using it to carry. I would expect the 226, with its higher weight, longer barrel and accessory rail would make it an better HD weapon.

Oramac

You know it is possible to have a gun that both looks good and shoots great. ;)

In response to you, and everyone else who feels the need to tell me a gun can look good and work well. My point was that selecting a gun based on looks is a bad idea. If you find a gun that is functional, and oh-by-the-way-it-looks-good, great. That's a bonus. But making "looks good" a requirement for a tool designed to defend yourself is not wise, imo.

Daylen

In response to you, and everyone else who feels the need to tell me a gun can look good and work well. My point was that selecting a gun based on looks is a bad idea. If you find a gun that is functional, and oh-by-the-way-it-looks-good, great. That's a bonus. But making "looks good" a requirement for a tool designed to defend yourself is not wise, imo.

It is only a hard requirement for those who think glock is the only SD pistol. 1911s can look awsome without much trouble, Walther P99 looks nice, many revolvers look beautiful; all are completely reliable.

SovereignAxe

It is only a hard requirement for those who think glock is the only SD pistol. 1911s can look awsome without much trouble, Walther P99 looks nice, many revolvers look beautiful; all are completely reliable.

:D

Also, in my experience, usually the prettier the gun, the more comfortable it is. Case in point: I've always found the Bersa Thunder to be a pretty gun. I finally got to hold one a few weeks ago and it was extremely comfortable.

But yeah, looks shouldn't be a primary factor when choosing a SD weapon. But it should also be realized that arguing reliability in modern pistols is like arguing which car is fast: a Ferrari, a Lamborghini or a Pagani.

Oramac

But it should also be realized that arguing reliability in modern pistols is like arguing which car is fast: a Ferrari, a Lamborghini or a Pagani.

True enough. The new Aventador is neither the fastest or cheapest, but damned if I don't want one!

Regardless, my original point still stands. Using looks as a primary deciding factor in an SD weapon may not be wise.

Redbaron007

Well......looks depends on the person holding it......a very sexy woman holding a Hi-Point may be attractive! :lol:

Aknazer

Anyone have access to Emily?

I notice that she has the XDm as one of her firearm choices, the only 1 that is legal in DC is the .45 sub compact, because it carryies less than 10 rounds, but even then it COMES with a full size magazine and extender in the package so it might be illegal too with that magazine along for the ride. DC does not allow any firearm that can hold more than ten rounds. It seemed she was mostly looking at 9mm semi auto, and all XDm are double stack, so no 9mm for her there. She needs to look into single stack if she wants to go with 9mm. I love the XDm line, but stupid DC beuracrats make the rules there >.<

I don't know about the others she has on the poll, but I wouldn't want her to spend $5-600 on a gun only to find out it's illegal, even though that would make for a good story for her to write about... Supposing she survives the legal issues.

I tried posting to the blog but the sign up proccess is bugging out on me and won't let me in. Can anyone warn her by email or such, or post this to her blog for me?

Sent using tapatalk

I have an XD 9SC that came with both the the flush and extended mags having a capacity of 10 rounds. The gun is legal so long as you don't have the "high capacity" magazines. So I would guess that when she picks out a gun it will be limited in the rounds it can hold even if there's a larger magazine option. Otherwise any glock would be illegal because there's a 30+ magazine available for most of them.

Daylen

:D

Also, in my experience, usually the prettier the gun, the more comfortable it is. Case in point: I've always found the Bersa Thunder to be a pretty gun. I finally got to hold one a few weeks ago and it was extremely comfortable.

But yeah, looks shouldn't be a primary factor when choosing a SD weapon. But it should also be realized that arguing reliability in modern pistols is like arguing which car is fast: a Ferrari, a Lamborghini or a Pagani.

so true :)

okboomer

Ah, but once you determine which manufacturers produce a quality firearm that meets your additional criteria, then going for looks is not a bad thing ... Of course, an ugly woman can produce babies as well as a pretty one :p

Dreamer

But it should also be realized that arguing reliability in modern pistols is like arguing which car is fast: a Ferrari, a Lamborghini or a Pagani.

Except for the fact that Pagani Zonda's eat Ferrari's for lunch, and leave steaming piles of Lamborghini on the side of the road...

But if you want to talk FAST, you need to talk about the Koenigsegg CCR or the Bughatti Veyron Super Sport. Madness. Simply madness...

Last edited: