• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

leo weapon retention

BROKENSPROKET

I thought LEO's had really good holsters for weapon retention.

Cop wipes out an a Segway and it LOOKS like his service pistol comes flying out.

[video=youtube_share;wjldrPLX7Pg]http://youtu.be/wjldrPLX7Pg[/video]

HolyOrangeJuice

Officer's right-handed, I'm pretty sure the object is off the left side of his belt so I'm guessing it's his radio.

Never know if he is right-handed but....it does appear he has his firearm on his right hip and the object that fell out was a radio or some other devide. Didn't look like a weapon to me.

1245A Defender

well,,,

at the beginning of the vid, you can see a radio on his left hip,
just forward of that radio, you can see a gun in a cross draw holster.
when he falls and flips over, you can see the ell shape of the gun as it spins and falls.
he needs better retention!
it was his GUN!!!

Last edited:

HolyOrangeJuice

at the beginning of the vid, you can see a radio on his left hip,
just forward of that radio, you can see a gun in a cross draw holster.
when he falls and flips over, you can see the ell shape of the gun as it spins and falls.
he needs better retention!
it was his GUN!!!

I have yet to seen an officer on duty use a cross draw holster. Strong side firearm holster and cross-draw tazer holsters. If I were a betting man I'd bet it wasn't a firearm. However, I am not and this is super grainy.

BigTzzy

Not his gun...

HOJ is correct. It is either his tazer or radio falling off his belt. That officer clearly shoots right handed. His duty weapon is clearly on his right side and the tazer is on the left in a cross draw holster.(which should be retention type holster as well) The radio right next to the tazer would not have much if any in the way of retention as they are normally in just a loop type carrier. I believe that it was his radio that fell out.

BTW...it's still a funny video. :)

pkbites

it was his GUN!!!

No it wasn't. It was a radio.

I watched this several times, screen enlarged, in slow mo, and using a magnifying glass.

The officer is carrying a pistol in a holster on his right hip. It is not set up as cross draw.
At the very end when he sits up his pistol is still in the holster on his right hip.

@ :03 on the video his radio clearly slides out of it's holder.

Radio holsters aren't set up like pistol holsters. Some of them don't even have a retention strap.