• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Was called stupid for supporting open carry by a employee at the gun store Las Vegas

fire suppressor

The last few months I have been busy between family and work but last week while in Las Vegas I was able to get a day to myself. I went I into the gun store to shoot a SAW, way over priced but worth it. After I got done shooting I went into the back part of the store where they sell guns to looks around. While I thought the people in the shooting range part of the store where all nice and friendly once I walked into the back part of the store it was a entire different world. I walked up to the counter and was completely ignored for the first few minutes. A young guy about my age was working the counter and was OCing a glock. I walked up to him smiling and told him I was visiting from Washington state, he did not seem impressed but my feelings where not hurt.
I told him a lot of guys up in Washington OC and asked him if it was legal here. He rolled his eyes and said "yeah its legal but don't do it". When I asked him to explain he said he told me I was stupid and need to get a cpl. When I told him I have one but still believe in my right to open carry. He told me again I was stupid and that its too easy to get in trouble. He told me in Nevada all anyone has to do is feel threatened by the site of your gun, call the police and that I would be arrested. I was there visiting and really didn't feel like getting into a discussion. I told him "well it's different where I come from" and walked away. As I walked away he told me to use my cpl and stop trying to show off. I laughed a little because found his comments humorous coming from a man who was open carrying him self.
It doesn't matter I still had a great time I finally shot a real fully automatic machine gun! Check one more thing off my bucket list!
I did go online to the Nevada thread and post the same story the day it happened they told me they are open carry friendly as far as the state goes and that the gun store was already on their radar

Last edited:

amzbrady

What happens in Vegas stays in Vagas :p

But seriously, thats poor customer service, and poor manners from the employee.

Seems like that "all mightier then thou" attitude is not state specific. We have it here also. Go to Marksman, and talk to their employees. Funny how some guys in the gun business, who openly carry guns, dont support our 2A rights to open carry in public where it is legal and on private property where you would think it would be commonplace.

Bucks Gun Shop

Gang:

I am always a little surprised at the reaction most people who you would assume support 2A react when they see someone open carrying... I don't think that it is just the anti's that have a stigma about firearms... Pretty much everyone does... I wish it were different, but it isn't... With regards to how that particular individual treated you -- just plain and simple poor customer service... There isn't any amount of education that is going to change his attitude...

Jayd1981

At a gunshop I frequent, the manager's personal oppinion is that open carry is dumb because of the attention it draws. However I only know this because of quite a few conversations we have had. They pretty much keep their oppinion to themselves and are more than willing to do business with some one regardless of OC or CC. I am perfectly fine with this view, everyone is entitled to their oppinion, but in this case they don't preach, ridicule, and are willing to sell to anyone who is legally able to own.

Kildars

Just a FYI your carry permit is not valid in NV. They only honor NV permits. I was traveling through on my way to Arizona and got stopped. The officer was understanding but told me that NV doesn't accept WA State CPLs and let me go.

decklin

Seems like that "all mightier then thou" attitude is not state specific. We have it here also. Go to Marksman, and talk to their employees. Funny how some guys in the gun business, who openly carry guns, dont support our 2A rights to open carry in public where it is legal and on private property where you would think it would be commonplace.

You are the second person I have heard that from. I go to the Marksman often and it is one of the only stores in the area I have had zero problems at. I have had problems with Bullseye's, Wades, Federal Way Discount Guns, and Cabela's. Never the Marksman though. That's why I keep going back there.

Tawnos

You are the second person I have heard that from. I go to the Marksman often and it is one of the only stores in the area I have had zero problems at. I have had problems with Bullseye's, Wades, Federal Way Discount Guns, and Cabela's. Never the Marksman though. That's why I keep going back there.

You should hit up West Coast Arms. They're awesome and a half.

amzbrady

I finished shooting at their range one day and while turning in the rental I fired and safety glasses to the asian guy there, I just happened to ask if they wanted a few open carry pamphlets as I didnt see any, and he said open carry was illegal in washington and would get you arrested. He then said if I didnt believe him, that I could ask any of the many, officers that come in to buy firearms and use the range.

Hmmm, what a novel concept, ask an officer from pierce county about the law on open carry.

FMCDH

Just a FYI your carry permit is not valid in NV. They only honor NV permits. I was traveling through on my way to Arizona and got stopped. The officer was understanding but told me that NV doesn't accept WA State CPLs and let me go.

Not exactly true.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/nevada.pdf

Nevada stopped honoring Utah and Florida permits about 2 years ago in order to force people to come pay for their own, but they didn't stop reciprocity all together. It just so happens, that the rest of the permits they DO recognize, are not issued to non-residents of those states, or are very hard for non-residents to get.

It was a very deliberate act in order to raise revenue through their own permit system.

Last edited:

FMCDH

I finished shooting at their range one day and while turning in the rental I fired and safety glasses to the asian guy there, I just happened to ask if they wanted a few open carry pamphlets as I didnt see any, and he said open carry was illegal in washington and would get you arrested. He then said if I didnt believe him, that I could ask any of the many, officers that come in to buy firearms and use the range.

Hmmm, what a novel concept, ask an officer from pierce county about the law on open carry.

I have the same response each time to these folks that say "open carry is illegal".

"O? What law makes it illegal? Please, tell me the RCW that your referring to."

Most just sputter and mumble something about what they heard from a friend of a friend who has a neighbor who is a LEO, or some such nonsense, or a 10 second conversation they had with an LEO in passing 3 years ago.

That being said, I can understand the misconception given the ambiguous wording of 9.41.270

golddigger14s

Activist Member

Deck, I'm suprised you've had problems at Cabelas. I go there all the time (I live within eyesight), and never had a problem. They only require un-holstered weapons to be checked in.

Also as far as the employee to call the OP stupid is bad business in general. If you don't agree with a customers POV is fine, but to actually call you stupid is so wrong. If I owned/managed that shop that guy would be history.

Why is it that the CC only crowd bash us unmercifuly, but us OCer's don't say squat to them? Just thinking out loud.

Last edited:

protias

The Cabela's stores here in WI know that carry is legal. I'd complain to the manager, district manager, and corporate.

decklin

My reference with Cabelas had to do with the "holier than thou" approach. As far as carry in Cabelas I have had no issue. I was under the impression that we were also discussing customer service and bad manners. I don't frequent an establishment just because they allow the carry method I happen to be using on any given day. I also look at the aforementioned customer service and manners. I am finding more and more that those two things seem to be in the past.