• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No Guns = No Business

Freedom First

I found this very cool idea and I wanted to share it here. Just the thing to pack when you OC.

No Guns No Money cards

The only change I would make is the addition of my email address in the event that they want to ask some questions or even change their tune.

HK_dave

except that no one's going to take the time to read all that while you're walking and it's moving around...

Badger Johnson

To me, this is a bad idea. You're going on record with your email and your card as both carrying and being somewhat of an activist. I'd be concerned that a business owner would just send your card to the local constable and you'd end up on some watch list. Not saying it will happen, but be aware that you're outing yourself, drawing unneeded attention. Be well aware of what you're asking by doing this, what privacy you may be giving up. This is different than when a group puts out these, like the NRA or a State-wide Defense organization (like VCDL).

If you're OK with this then a card can certainly be helpful getting your point across. I'd lean towards putting searchable URLs on the card - particularly any cites of law that support you or statistics which support gun-friendly businesses as feasible.

Good luck.

amlevin

Like it or not, those most owners who prohibit firearms to be carried by customers, in actuality only prohibit those that are carried openly (if concealed, they don't see it, right?). Another reality is that Open Carrying individuals are still in the minority. Business owners who are anti gun won't really care if you refuse to spend money with them. The only way any boycott is going to be effective is if there is a significant portion of their business lost due to their practices. Don't see that happening here. Them's just the realities of life, like it or not.

Metalhead47

Like it or not, those most owners who prohibit firearms to be carried by customers, in actuality only prohibit those that are carried openly (if concealed, they don't see it, right?). Another reality is that Open Carrying individuals are still in the minority. Business owners who are anti gun won't really care if you refuse to spend money with them. The only way any boycott is going to be effective is if there is a significant portion of their business lost due to their practices. Don't see that happening here. Them's just the realities of life, like it or not.

This. And I am quite sure we are ALL already on numerous "watch lists" icon_mrgreen.gif

amzbrady

This. And I am quite sure we are ALL already on numerous "watch lists" View attachment 7588

Big Brother is probably watching this forum right now...:uhoh:

I think if I would carry the card I would add a provision for those who also want to specify the way I carry, like WAC. "You can only carry unloaded and tied, IF you are a member who has paid a fee to save money".

Sparky508

Big Brother is probably watching this forum right now...:uhoh:.

He can watch me all he wants, but he can’t see, as I have strategically wrapped my computer with foil. Sure it’s hard to type but it matches my hat, so I figure I’m in good shape.:p

Metalhead47

Big Brother is probably watching this forum right now...:uhoh:

I think if I would carry the card I would add a provision for those who also want to specify the way I carry, like WAC. "You can only carry unloaded and tied, IF you are a member who has paid a fee to save money".

We have all bought guns & filled out the form. We are on a fringe right wing extremist forum. We even have a few veterans around. By their own admission, they are watching us. :shocker:

I try my best to moon the watchers as often as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

badkarma

We do it already. Why not make it one list. Applebees, Costco etc... Make it per location. Assume if they don't ask you to leave then it is good. Update if you have a different experience. No need for a bunch of details. Just a Yes or No.

protias

What's the idea here, you give store owners a card if they have anti gun policies?

Yes, and tell them all the business they'll lose by you not shopping there, as well as friends and family, the 27,000+ members on OCDO, and the millions of firearm owners.

Last edited:

amlevin

Yes, and tell them all the business they'll lose by you not shopping there, as well as friends and family, the 27,000+ members on OCDO, and the millions of firearm owners.

Unless they are a National firm, why would a local business care about what happens in any other State. The numbers are far smaller in WA State than the ones that you used. I'm afraid that most local businesses that don't like guns would just laugh when presented with these "facts".

Going about ones business in a polite manner and dressed in an acceptable attire while carrying will go a lot farther in changing one's opinion than handing out "or else" cards.

Metalhead47

Unless they are a National firm, why would a local business care about what happens in any other State. The numbers are far smaller in WA State than the ones that you used. I'm afraid that most local businesses that don't like guns would just laugh when presented with these "facts".

Going about ones business in a polite manner and dressed in an acceptable attire while carrying will go a lot farther in changing one's opinion than handing out "or else" cards.

+1

The trouble with the whole "card approach" is that those tasked with enforcing these anti-gun policies at a business of any size (low level managers & minions) are not the ones in charge of creating or modifying policy. They're merely "following orders" :rolleyes:, those giving the orders are well insulated from most attempts at reason and would never see the little cards.

protias

We've had a lot of success here in WI. One gas station, PDQ, received tons of complaints and they recently took down their signs.

Trigger Dr

On the relatively few times I have had this type encounter, I simply refer them to Friendorfoe.com