• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Alabama OC'er moving to Hattiesburg

FedFirefighter

Hey fellas, I am new to the MS forum, but have been involved in the movement and practice of OC in Alabama since 2010. It looks like I will be moving to the Hattiesburg area shortly after the first of the year (Wife's job), and would really like to meet up with some of you. I currently OC about 90% of the time, but am always armed when not at work. I work on an Army Base and, well you know the deal there. Anyway, I know the laws pretty well for AL, but need to find out all I can about MS gun laws. I have a current AL Pistol Licence, and plan to get a MS licence immediately for myself and my wife. I am most curious about any restrictions on the concealed permits, as far as off limits areas where they would be null and void, schools, bars, banks, etc. Thanks for any info, and hope to make it to one of your meetups in the new year.
Oh yah, any areas not recommended to live in, or near?

Q-Tip

Welcome to Mississippi! You won't find the summer heat any more pleasant, especially down there in Hattiesburg.

This thread is a great way to familiarize yourself with MS carry law, especially the first three posts. If you lose it for some reason, it's stickied at the top on the Mississippi sub-forum.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?97455-Open-Carry-in-Mississippi-The-Law

In short, open carry is legal without a permit, and concealed carry requires one. However, there's an opinion floating around that a firearm clearly visible and in a holster is partially concealed, therefore requiring a permit to carry. As ridiculous as it is, nobody seems to be willing to be a test case. Also, vehicle carry in any form is specifically protected without a permit.

FedFirefighter

So, clear this up for me someone. From what I read in the laws, a person can get an endorsement on your weapons licence that exempts you from all those rediculous restricted places, or just the courthouse?

4angrybadgers

Welcome FedFirefighter! We actually had the first Hattiesburg OC meet a week ago. I'll definitely keep you posted when I start planning the next meet.

OCDO and Handgunlaw.us have good summaries of the state laws. For the actual text of the Mississippi laws, go to Lexis Nexis.

So, clear this up for me someone. From what I read in the laws, a person can get an endorsement on your weapons licence that exempts you from all those rediculous restricted places, or just the courthouse?

Most of the restricted places are lifted. Here's the relevant wording in 97-37-7:
A person licensed under Section 45-9-101 to carry a concealed pistol, who has voluntarily completed an instructional course in the safe handling and use of firearms offered by an instructor certified by a nationally recognized organization that customarily offers firearms training, or by any other organization approved by the Department of Public Safety, shall also be authorized to carry weapons in courthouses except in courtrooms during a judicial proceeding, and any location listed in subsection (13) of Section 45-9-101, except any place of nuisance as defined in Section 95-3-1, any police, sheriff or highway patrol station or any detention facility, prison or jail.

<snip>
This section shall in no way interfere with the right of a trial judge to restrict the carrying of firearms in the courtroom.

Here is the list of prohibited places from 45-9-101 (13). Note from the above that courtrooms, "places of nuisance", police, sheriff or highway patrol stations, and detention facilities, prisons and jails are still off-limits.
(13) No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a stun gun, concealed pistol or revolver into any place of nuisance as defined in Section 95-3-1, Mississippi Code of 1972; any police, sheriff or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section shall preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his courtroom; any polling place; any meeting place of the governing body of any governmental entity; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any school, college or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any portion of an establishment, licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, that is primarily devoted to dispensing alcoholic beverages; any portion of an establishment in which beer or light wine is consumed on the premises, that is primarily devoted to such purpose; any elementary or secondary school facility; any junior college, community college, college or university facility unless for the purpose of participating in any authorized firearms-related activity; inside the passenger terminal of any airport, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal if the firearm is encased for shipment, for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; any church or other place of worship; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law. In addition to the places enumerated in this subsection, the carrying of a stun gun, concealed pistol or revolver may be disallowed in any place in the discretion of the person or entity exercising control over the physical location of such place by the placing of a written notice clearly readable at a distance of not less than ten (10) feet that the "carrying of a pistol or revolver is prohibited." No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize the participants in a parade or demonstration for which a permit is required to carry a stun gun, concealed pistol or revolver.

Last edited:

FedFirefighter

Thanks for the welcome. I've done some reading, trying to brush up and be aware of dos and don'ts before moving. Yes, keep me up on meetings, we have biweekly meetings over here now. Thanks again for the info too.

Daylen

MS pistol permit is not good in any place of nusance (mostly bars). That is the most anoying thing when I'm in MS, on the other hand no permit is needed to have any weapon in a vehicle, concealed or not. OC is legal, constitutionally protected (specifically), but between taboo and rumor many people are confused so I reccomend having a pistol permit, even if it stays at home, for OC; it makes a good butt cover.

4angrybadgers

MS pistol permit is not good in any place of nusance (mostly bars).

Just a side note, but bars aren't "places of nuisance" in the state code.
45-9-101(13) outlaws CC in:
...any portion of an establishment, licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, that is primarily devoted to dispensing alcoholic beverages; any portion of an establishment in which beer or light wine is consumed on the premises, that is primarily devoted to such purpose...

Places of nuisance are defined in 95-3-1:
c. "Nuisance" shall mean any place as above defined in or upon which lewdness, assignation or prostitution is conducted, permitted, continued or exists or any other place as above defined in or upon which a controlled substance as defined in Section 41-29-105, Mississippi Code of 1972, is unlawfully used, possessed, sold or delivered and the personal property and contents used in conducting or maintaining any such place for any such purpose. One single act of unlawful cohabitation, lewdness or possession, use, sale or delivery of a controlled substance about such property shall not come within the terms hereof.

However, do note that with the "endorsement" on a permit, alcoholic beverage establishments are removed from the list of prohibited places.

FedFirefighter

Just a side note, but bars aren't "places of nuisance" in the state code.
45-9-101(13) outlaws CC in:

Places of nuisance are defined in 95-3-1:

However, do note that with the "endorsement" on a permit, alcoholic beverage establishments are removed from the list of prohibited places.

Awesome, thanks. Not a frequent bar patron, but will go throw a game of darts with the wifey occasionally.

Daylen

Seems its been too long since I last read the code, maybe all the prohibited places blurred together... On the other hand I usually find police departments and school zones to be places of nuisance :p

Last edited:

FedFirefighter

I am planning on taking whatever course I have to, to get the endorsement on my concealed permit, but have a question I figured someone on here would know. Does a DD-214 (military discharge papers) suffice for the firearms training, as it does in Florida? Just curious, haven't read anything about it, but it would save me some time and money. Thanks.

FedFirefighter

Hello MS OC'ers. Just an update, my family has already moved to Hattiesburg, and I will be living there too in a couple weeks. I will be in town this weekend if anyone is free or interested in a meetup. Let me know and we can set something up. Looking forward to enjoying my freedoms in my new home.

Last edited:

4angrybadgers

Hello MS OC'ers. Just an update, my family has already moved to Hattiesburg, and I will be living there too in a couple weeks. I will be in town this weekend if anyone is free or interested in a meetup. Let me know and we can set something up. Looking forward to enjoying my freedoms in my new home.

I'm free for lunch/dinner tomorrow (28th), since my wife and baby will be out of town for the day (FREEDOM!!!! :lol:).

FedFirefighter

Well I've been living in Hattiesburg for a couple months now, and even after talking to a HPD officer who said I must conceal, I have been OC'ing around town more and more with no issues. The LEO gave me the same 'ol story about scaring folks, and that I will cause MWAG calls, and will be approached, questioned, and possibly arrested, and then would have to figure the rest out with the judge. I've heard all that before, and proven that not to be the case with the public. I have OC'd in Wal-Mart, several restraunts and a day of shopping with the wife including into the mall. I noticed a couple of guys who looked and noticed my 1911 on my side, but no panic, no police, and only one waitress even asked about it. Please tell me this will be "the norm" and I haven't just been lucky so far. If there is anybody around here who has any OC stories, or advice, I'd love to hear it. I'd like to attend any meetings in the future also, even other parts of the state.

Last edited:

bigun220

I really don't think people in MS are scared of folks carrying unconcealed handguns. I've OC'd in La Fiesta Brava near hwy 49 (Hattiesburg) a while back without any issues. I generally carry concealed but I don't make any serious effort to make sure my firearm is hidden.

I definitely would not ask an LEO about firearm laws or others for that matter. Most don't have a clue and will likely discourage open carry.

Hope this helps.

Daylen

Well I've been living in Hattiesburg for a couple months now, and even after talking to a HPD officer who said I must conceal, I have been OC'ing around town more and more with no issues. The LEO gave me the same 'ol story about scaring folks, and that I will cause MWAG calls, and will be approached, questioned, and possibly arrested, and then would have to figure the rest out with the judge. I've heard all that before, and proven that not to be the case with the public. I have OC'd in Wal-Mart, several restraunts and a day of shopping with the wife including into the mall. I noticed a couple of guys who looked and noticed my 1911 on my side, but no panic, no police, and only one waitress even asked about it. Please tell me this will be "the norm" and I haven't just been lucky so far. If there is anybody around here who has any OC stories, or advice, I'd love to hear it. I'd like to attend any meetings in the future also, even other parts of the state.

MWAG! lol thats funny and as I'm sure you're starting to notice completely false. I once went to the mall with some friends there using one of these: http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Level-3-SERPA-Auto-Lock-Duty-Holster,1175,51.htm; my liberal buddy kept watching to see if anyone even noticed... nothing.

FedFirefighter

Well I finally got my MS Firearms Permit, now I can go back to OC'ing pretty regular. I had to hand over my AL permit to be exempt from the one year resident requirement, so I didn't want to push my luck without any permit, but now, I can enjoy one of my freedoms again.

blcouch

How long did it take for your permit to come back? I am in the same situation, only I have a MS drivers license and still have my valid AL CWP. Just curious as to how long I will be unable to carry for. Thanks.

FedFirefighter

It took almost right at the 45 days they said it would. Then I took a $75. NRA class in Meridean to get the enhanced sticker on my permit. That's good for five years too, well worth it.