Thread: can i open carry with a loaded mag?

can i open carry with a loaded mag?

quick question ive been ocing for a month now in my home state on PA, can i oc with a loaded magazine just wondering is that legal here?

fully loaded mag, one in chamber etc....yes you can. Keep in mind that if you OC in Philly you must have a carry license either from PA or a reciprocal state.
    States don’t have rights. People do.

one in the chamber? really???
    Last edited by freeSTATE101; 12-11-2011 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by freeSTATE101 View Post
    Yes always

Am I misunderstanding the question?
    If your mag is empty and you don't have one in the chamber, why carry?
    =============================
    NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
    Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
    PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

Modern handguns (revolvers and semiautos) are all designed to be carried with a full mag and a round chambered. Any gun that CAN'T be safely carried with a chambered round probably shouldn't be used as a self-defense tool.

John Moses Browning designed the 1911 to be carried "cocked and locked" (full mag, one in the pipe, hammer cocked and safety on). IF the guy who DESIGNED the gun thought it was safe, then I'll take his word on it...

Cops and soldiers carry this way--why shouldn't everyone else?
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Wow!!!

quick question ive been ocing for a month now in my home state on PA, can i oc with a loaded magazine just wondering is that legal here?
    first,,, welcome to the forum...

Now i gotta say,, your post is the kind that really throws me for a loop.
    youve been open carrying for a month?
    but youve never bothered to find out the laws and restrictions in your state concerning firearms?
    for anybody to decide that they could carry a gun, but somehow decide that it should be unloaded is beyond my understanding.
    it almost sounds like you may have been studying the law for california carriers, but not a real state, like your own.
    I would strongly suggest that you stop OCing untill you have studied your state forum for one month.
    Ask alot of questions, read all the threads, get out and meet old, experianced OCers in your area.
    get a voice recorder, apply for your concealled carry permit.

and tell us, how old are you? what kind of gun are OCing? are you rural or city?
    how much experiance and training do you have with firearms?
    I sound like a buzybody, but these are questions that eventually will come up with us here.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

I just turned 21 im vary familiar with guns ive been shooting since i was 14 i own a glock 23 but open carry my CZ phantom i never have one chambered but its always loaded i live in allentown,pa but have never been stopped

i actually have been looking up pa gun laws but havent found much with regards to oc just the usual so thats wen i found this forum

well,,,

i actually have been looking up pa gun laws but havent found much with regards to oc just the usual so thats wen i found this forum
    read this, its in your states sub forum, read more there.

Carry Laws - Visiting

EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Remember, unless there is a law prohibiting something, it is legal. Not that you shouldn't ask if you don't find something (since it's always possible for one to have missed the law outlawing something), but there doesn't have to be a law making something legal for it to be legal.

The first time I OC'd, I forgot to bring bullets! OOPS!!!

The 2nd time I OC'd, I fired all of my ammo at the range! Outta Bullets!

The 3rd time I OC'd, I brought a loaded gun with Extra bullets! Yee Haw!

Remember, Treat you gun as if it's loaded, even if its not.

What would be the purpose of carrying any other way?

I am shocked at what I read.

As I read these i see people who carry without a round in chamber. This is insaine. If you need your gun you will have a second or two to use it. If your gun is empty how many time times will the bad guy put a 45 slug into you before you load the thing. If he shoots like me or many others on here he will empty hes glock of 14 rounds into you. You will never even know if your gun shoots becouse you will be dead. Carrying a gun is no joke and people need to do it correctly. Modern guns are designed to be carryed loaded. If your nevouse go shoot the thing and get used to it. This should be a couple hundred rounds or more. NOT one box. learn how to use it, carry it always and keep it loaded and ready to save your life.

Quote Originally Posted by FMJ 911 View Post
    The first time I OC'd, I forgot to bring bullets! OOPS!!!
    Remember, Treat you gun as if it's loaded, even if its not.
    ROFL! I did that recently. Was so proud of myself for being out and about all days only to get home an realize I had no bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by snatale42 View Post
    What would be the purpose of carrying any other way?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGunMan View Post
    As I read these i see people who carry without a round in chamber. This is insaine. If you need your gun you will have a second or two to use it. If your gun is empty how many time times will the bad guy put a 45 slug into you before you load the thing. If he shoots like me or many others on here he will empty hes glock of 14 rounds into you. You will never even know if your gun shoots becouse you will be dead. Carrying a gun is no joke and people need to do it correctly. Modern guns are designed to be carryed loaded. If your nevouse go shoot the thing and get used to it. This should be a couple hundred rounds or more. NOT one box. learn how to use it, carry it always and keep it loaded and ready to save your life.
    When I first started carrying I was nervous about carrying with one in the chamber. Afraid I’d end up with a ND. I’m more experienced now with carrying and use of my firearm. Now I carry almost daily and I feel practically naked without it and would never consider carrying without one in the chamber. The few seconds it could take me to rack it might be the few second I need to save my life.

Yes, unless of course you are using a Sten, or Grease Gun or other firearm with direct blowback from an open bolt. In that case you would only have ammo in the mag, not the chamber.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daylen View Post
    Yes, unless of course you are using a Sten, or Grease Gun or other firearm with direct blowback from an open bolt. In that case you would only have ammo in the mag, not the chamber.
    That begs the question: What normal carried handgun is of an open bolt design?

Realizing that restaints imposed by OCDO rules and intents, this would make such guns outside the acceptable normal, everyday carry.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    That begs the question: What normal carried handgun is of an open bolt design?

Realizing that restaints imposed by OCDO rules and intents, this would make such guns outside the acceptable normal, everyday carry.
    I don't know, but I try to be open to the possibility that something exists that I might not know about. Once I didn't know there was an open bolt design, if asked about its existence I might have said there is no such thing; I'd hate to do that now with open bolt pistols that can be carried in a holster, when the truth is I simply don't know.

In addition I thought California was an exception to that OCDO rule, now that handguns are offlimits in that state? Or does that exception only apply in the California subsection?
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daylen View Post
    I don't know, but I try to be open to the possibility that something exists that I might not know about. Once I didn't know there was an open bolt design, if asked about its existence I might have said there is no such thing; I'd hate to do that now with open bolt pistols that can be carried in a holster, when the truth is I simply don't know.

In addition I thought California was an exception to that OCDO rule, now that handguns are offlimits in that state? Or does that exception only apply in the California subsection?
    This rule does NOT apply to discussions about long gun carry in jurisdictions such as California which ban handgun carry and thus require long gun carry as a matter of public policy.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules
    Notice that unique or unusual handguns are not specifically addressed. Rather decisions are based on individual/case by case determination.

As a practical matter it would seem prudent to limit it (long guns) to the sub-forum on California.

My reference also considers normal, every day carry defensive tools that will not in and of themselves potentially draw a negative public reaction due to their character. Not speaking to the legality or right to do so, but rather of how the site owners wish to place OCDO in the public relations war for the hearts and minds of the public. Hope that helps.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.