• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

could I legally carry a firends pistol?

smokeyburnout

I got into a hypothetical discussion with a friend of mine that also has a pistol permit. Now, he said that in order for you to carry a pistol it needs to be registered in your name or if an officer runs the serial numbers and it comes back that you don't own the pistol the police would take it and to RO would have to go to the police station to retrieve it. That got me thinking. Obviously I know the police can't just do whatever they want but lets be realistic, they do. Just curious to see what your opinions or what facts could be brought up here as I am curious.

Rich B

I don't know of anything keeping you from carrying someone else's pistol anymore than driving someone else's car.

As long as it isn't reported stolen, there should not be a problem.

hermannr

If you can legally posses a weapon, and you could legally carry a weapon, if you owned it, you could do the same with a weapon that is "loaned" to you.

Registration? You mean like NY has? I didn't think Connecticut had such??? Really would not matter, assuming it was loaned to you, and you met the other items in para 1.

Rich B

The Connecticut DPS does register firearms although not all firearms are registered.

It wouldn't make any difference however unless it was stolen. Worst case should be a quick phone call to your friend to verify it is not stolen.

smokeyburnout

Common sence seems to elude some police in this state. I was just curious about the legallity and what recource one may have should it occur.
Again this is all just hypothetical.

LQM

Loan a pistol.

I got into a hypothetical discussion with a friend of mine that also has a pistol permit. Now, he said that in order for you to carry a pistol it needs to be registered in your name or if an officer runs the serial numbers and it comes back that you don't own the pistol the police would take it and to RO would have to go to the police station to retrieve it. That got me thinking. Obviously I know the police can't just do whatever they want but lets be realistic, they do. Just curious to see what your opinions or what facts could be brought up here as I am curious.

"Sec. 29-33. Sale, delivery or transfer of pistols and revolvers. Procedure. Penalty. (a) No person, firm or corporation shall sell, deliver or otherwise transfer any pistol or revolver to any person who is prohibited from possessing a pistol or revolver as provided in section 53a-217c."

I just did a cursory search and found only that you can not legally sell, deliver, or transfer a pistol or revolver to anyone prohibited by the section above, 53a-217c, which only lists the various reasons why one can not possess a firearm. I can't find anything that would not allow you to loan a pistol to another permit holder for a short duration.

I remember I read an article in which an individual was charged with illegal transfer for loaning a pistol to another person and I believe the charges were dropped for the reasons I stated above. I can't cite anything concrete, and I'm not sure I saw it here. I'll keep looking.

KIX

I don't know of anything keeping you from carrying someone else's pistol anymore than driving someone else's car.

As long as it isn't reported stolen, there should not be a problem.

Bingo.

Good example, married couple. The firearm is inevitably registered to one of the parties, not both.

Also, a friend of mine and I borrow each others firearms from time to time so we can get some playtime in. Nothing wrong there. As long as it's not reported stolen, you're good to go.

I also was called to visit a friend in the ER once so I could take his firearms, no big deal there.

Jonathan

dcmdon

A pistol does not need to be registered in anybody's name.

The DPS maintains a registry of firearms that are transfered with an approval number. But there are a lot of handguns that are not registered either because they were purchased before an approval code was required (I believe '95, but don't hold me to it) and have not been transferred since. Or they came into the state with a person moving here from another state.

There is no statute prohibiting a person from loaning a firearm to another person (who is not a prohibited person).

As far as I can see the only area up for debate is whether a person can loan a hand gun to a person who is not prohibited but also doesn't have a permit, for use in their home.

If its between two permit holders, it seems pretty clean to me.

Don

brk913

As far as I can see the only area up for debate is whether a person can loan a hand gun to a person who is not prohibited but also doesn't have a permit, for use in their home.

Even that is not up for debate, perfectly legal for you to loan them your handgun as long as the person is not prohibited and does not take the gun outside their home or place of business (they must be the owner of the business).

KIX

Yep. Let my mother have one of mine during the entire time she was waiting for her permit. When she got her permit, did a transfer from there.

Now, I gave her the run through about "the doorway"..... keep the gun inside and you're fine. No issues, whatsoever.

Jonathan

dcmdon

Don't forget about "the curtlage". Which is the area right next to the home. In other words. If a person is trying to smash their way in through a window, you don't have to wait until they are inside. But I digress. . . .

KIX

Don't forget about "the curtlage". Which is the area right next to the home. In other words. If a person is trying to smash their way in through a window, you don't have to wait until they are inside. But I digress. . . .

Ya, but our elected "representatives" in Hartford think we're supposed to jump out a window or run...... hard to do where I lived in Hartford on the second floor!

Jonathan