• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dispatcher to Officer: "Use caution. CCW." --- Standard procedure?

GlockRDH

Those records may no longer be legally kept under §175.60(12g)3(b)2 "2. Neither a law enforcement agency nor any of its employees may store or maintain information regarding an individual that was obtained from the department under this subsection based on the individual’s status as a licensee or holder of a certificate card." Illegal CCW can only be determined from the department.

I shouldve stated that i wasnt refering to the CCL permit card....but to 'illegally carried weapons' or individuals with an RO.

Last edited:

wild boar

The report from the scanner sounds believable...

By law That's not how it's supposed to work..but....that illegal practice behavior would not surprise me one bit. Every Traffic stop now get's a CCW check before the officer approaches the car..Illegal but who is going to stop every LE agency in the state from doing it on a daily basis ??? If that is what happened does it surprise anyone that the Police would side step the Law for their own benefit (( i mean safety )) ?

..., it was reported as, may have, might be. I would like to know where GLOCK21GB found his information on this unlawful practice that he has stated to be SOP at a state wide level. Would you please reference your source Mr. GLOCK21GB. Thank you, boar out.

The_Pennsylvanian

Milwaukee has already digitized and encrypted its radio traffic. Others I'm sure will soon be following.

http://city.milwaukee.gov/DailyNews...ORTHERECORDFacts-on-Aldermans-Request-Mon.htm

I wouldn't worry about that too much. The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania has been dinking around with OpenSky for over ten YEARS now , and the system STILL doesn't work . :banghead: Ask the State of New York about OpenSky ; they'll give you an earful.

Harris Communications should be dragged over hot coals for even trying to sell that piece of $hite radio system . . . . .

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I like to listen to a radio scanner for road conditions during winter storms. It was running in the background for a bit today while I searched the Internet for the latest relevant frequencies.----snip----

What was the physical location of your scanner? Not the street address, but the city/county and state particularly - also the frequency heard as that can likely be tied to the LEA in question.

While not an accusation, we occasionally have "drive-by" posters who make claims, then never return to respond. Would prefer to suppose that you are legitimate, but only you or time can clarify.

We're waiting or (to borrow your phrase), running/monitoring in the background.

tomm1963

I wouldn't worry about that too much. The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania has been dinking around with OpenSky for over ten YEARS now , and the system STILL doesn't work . :banghead: Ask the State of New York about OpenSky ; they'll give you an earful.

Harris Communications should be dragged over hot coals for even trying to sell that piece of $hite radio system . . . . .

One caveat. The radio upgrades are driven by free federal money (which cities can not turn down) and are Federally mandated.

See MABAS link http://www.mabaswisconsin.org/

All thanks to Sept 11, Katrina and other disaster that had various agencies unable to communicate. The main reason the fed wants the analog radio system digitized is to free up band width for other things. A digital radio uses tremendously less frequency band width. The FCC wants the band width back so it can be re licensed for things like wireless routers and what not. It is all about the money.

The MFD is rushing their Open Sky radios into service by the end of the year or they lose 2 million federal dollars.

protias

I like to listen to a radio scanner for road conditions during winter storms. It was running in the background for a bit today while I searched the Internet for the latest relevant frequencies. One conversation between a dispatcher and officer caught my attention. At first I thought I heard the dispatcher say something about "CCW." After a pause I heard the same dispatcher come back and clearly say "Use caution. CCW." and wait for an acknowledgment from the officer. The officer acknowledged the message and seemed to go about business.

I don't listen to the scanner regularly, so my apologies if this is a silly question. Is this standard procedure? It was my personal impression that an officer in Wisconsin is supposed to handle the discovery about whether someone is carrying a weapon and is a Concealed Carry License holder before they confirm license validity with a system provided by the Wisconsin Department of Justice. Seems to me that what happened in this case was the reverse--The dispatcher searched for a name in a database of CCL holders and provided info back to the officer on the scene. Did I misunderstand how the process is supposed to work? Does this process vary by department? Is every stopped Wisconsin Concealed Carry License holder now branded by a dispatcher as requiring "caution" regardless of whether they are actually carrying a weapon or not? I think some clarity from the experts would be appreciated by all. Thanks in advance!

I heard something on the scanner yesterday as well in Waukesha. All I heard was conceal carry and nothing else.

Milwaukee has already digitized and encrypted its radio traffic. Others I'm sure will soon be following.

http://city.milwaukee.gov/DailyNews...ORTHERECORDFacts-on-Aldermans-Request-Mon.htm

Technically Open Sky is not digital.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenSky

It is also a terrible radio system.

http://blog.tcomeng.com/index.php/2009/problems-with-opensky-digital-trunked-radio-systems/

tomm1963

I heard something on the scanner yesterday as well in Waukesha. All I heard was conceal carry and nothing else.

Technically Open Sky is not digital.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenSky

It is also a terrible radio system.

http://blog.tcomeng.com/index.php/2009/problems-with-opensky-digital-trunked-radio-systems/

It's a digital radio signal from handy talky or car radio to the transceiver (which are mounted all over the city). From the transceiver it uses VOIP (digital hard wired) through the municipalities fiber optic network. Point is, the signal you get on a scanner is encrypted and unavailable to the public.

Since when did something being a "terrible system" ever stop government form implementing? The Fed has mandated it to be up and running by the end of 2013.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Open Sky for M/A-COM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenSky

January 15, 2009, the State of New York terminated its contract with M/A-COM due to ongoing and unresolved deficiencies with the OpenSky system. [2] On February 13, 2009, Tyco Electronics filed a complaint against the New York State Office for Technology (NY-OFT), in the New York State Court of Claims, disputing the claims made by the OFT. In the complaint, Tyco Electronics disputed many of the NY-OFT’s public criticisms of both the company and the system, maintaining that SWN (which included OpenSky) ‘worked as contracted.’ The complaint also claimed the state hindered the company’s ability to build the system in a timely manner, defamed the company by stating that its technology did not work, and that the state inappropriately drew $50 million from the standby letter of credit the company established for the project. [3]

http://www.oft.state.ny.us/News/PressRelease_SWNContract.htm

tomm1963

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenSky

January 15, 2009, the State of New York terminated its contract with M/A-COM due to ongoing and unresolved deficiencies with the OpenSky system. [2] On February 13, 2009, Tyco Electronics filed a complaint against the New York State Office for Technology (NY-OFT), in the New York State Court of Claims, disputing the claims made by the OFT. In the complaint, Tyco Electronics disputed many of the NY-OFT’s public criticisms of both the company and the system, maintaining that SWN (which included OpenSky) ‘worked as contracted.’ The complaint also claimed the state hindered the company’s ability to build the system in a timely manner, defamed the company by stating that its technology did not work, and that the state inappropriately drew $50 million from the standby letter of credit the company established for the project. [3]

http://www.oft.state.ny.us/News/PressRelease_SWNContract.htm

Yep it's a crummy system. Most of MPD rely on their cell phones as back up. It'll be interesting what the MFD does. Tough to dial a cell phone in firefighting gloves.

BBlock

I included location information in post #14 above. I have provided the information I have and you will have to choose to believe it or not. I don't post questions here because I've never had a question that I couldn't answer by searching through other threads or other sites. Regardless of whether anyone thinks I am "legitimate", it seems to all be moot. Without the name of the person that was stopped and access to information about whether that person is a valid Wisconsin CCL holder, it seems we will not know if the dispatcher was sending a warning about just a CCL holder or someone that previously charged/convicted of carrying a concealed weapon. My apologies if this created some sort of fire drill. I really am interested to know what a CCL holder might expect if they are approached by a LEO.

I will keep an eye out for any reports that surface about this incident. I will also be a more careful observer, should I find myself in this situation again. Thanks.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I included location information in post #14 above. I have provided the information I have and you will have to choose to believe it or not. I don't post questions here because I've never had a question that I couldn't answer by searching through other threads or other sites. Regardless of whether anyone thinks I am "legitimate", it seems to all be moot. Without the name of the person that was stopped and access to information about whether that person is a valid Wisconsin CCL holder, it seems we will not know if the dispatcher was sending a warning about just a CCL holder or someone that previously charged/convicted of carrying a concealed weapon. My apologies if this created some sort of fire drill. I really am interested to know what a CCL holder might expect if they are approached by a LEO.

I will keep an eye out for any reports that surface about this incident. I will also be a more careful observer, should I find myself in this situation again. Thanks.

So you did, must have gone right by it - sorry.

Will be interested to hear if this occurs again.

The_Pennsylvanian

Oh , it's DEFINITELY all about the money. One of the big drives for the whole Digital TV thing was so that the F.C.C. could re-purpose and auction off that portion of the VHF-Medium bandwidth . Being a General Class licensed Amateur Radio operator , and having a friend who does professional LMR sales , service and install , I get it. The narrowbanding in 2013 is bad enough , without full digital encryption . I just wonder why the City of Milwaukee would use such a shoddy standard when there are readily available, proven systems like P-25 out there.

Back on topic ( I apologise for my digression ) , there is NO excuse for the dispatcher to relay that information , unless , as mentioned before , it was on a previus conviction or the subject may have had warrants outstanding .

NEVER MIND ! The browser didn't show the other six posts when I clicked refresh before I posted this .

Last edited:

tomm1963

Oh , it's DEFINITELY all about the money. One of the big drives for the whole Digital TV thing was so that the F.C.C. could re-purpose and auction off that portion of the VHF-Medium bandwidth . Being a General Class licensed Amateur Radio operator , and having a friend who does professional LMR sales , service and install , I get it. The narrowbanding in 2013 is bad enough , without full digital encryption . I just wonder why the City of Milwaukee would use such a shoddy standard when there are readily available, proven systems like P-25 out there.

Back on topic ( I apologise for my digression ) , there is NO excuse for the dispatcher to relay that information , unless , as mentioned before , it was on a previus conviction or the subject may have had warrants outstanding .

NEVER MIND ! The browser didn't show the other six posts when I clicked refresh before I posted this .

Milwaukee functions on a blind low bid contracting system, even though it always costs more in the end.

I didn't mean to hijack the thread talking radio. My point was, we have a year to get evidence from the current system before J. Q. Public gets locked out.