• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Blue Ridge Community College Forced to Change Firearm Rules for Carry

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Just saw this. What's with our supposedly freedom friendly governor allowing this to occur on his watch? It's bad enough that schools with existing policies to ban firearms are allowed to continue, but this is sickening. From VA Alert:

A bunch of bureaucrats at the Virginia Board for Community Colleges (VBCC) has just forced Blue Ridge Community College, against its wishes, to ban the otherwise lawful carry of a handgun by students, faculty, and staff who have CHPs! That rule now applies at ALL community colleges. (Guests with CHPs are unaffected, so they can still carry inside and outside buildings at all community colleges.) This was done under the guise of the "Workplace Violence and Threat Assessment Policy." (Yeah - good job, VBCC - you have just made Blue Ridge a more dangerous place for faculty, staff, and students. Criminals appreciate your efforts in providing a self-defense-free environment for their safety and convenience!) Blue Ridge acknowledges that there has been NO PROBLEM with anyone legally carrying there all these years. Whatever happened to the American adage, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

This is unacceptable, underhanded, and VCDL isn't going to take this lying down. I have contacted the Governor's Office about this matter, as the Governor appoints the members of the VBCC. The good news is that the General Assembly meets next month and Lobby Day is on Monday, January 16th - plan on being there as we fight this and many other issues.

Here is some coverage of the story: http://www.newsleader.com/article/20111210/NEWS01/112100316

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
This problem needs to be addressed in the General Assembly THIS YEAR. The GA needs to take away the ability for the universities to make regulations without public input or GA approval.

grylnsmn

I've tried to do a little research on the community colleges in Virginia, but haven't been able to find any clear answers. Are they state-owned/operated, or are they locality owned/operated? If the latter, then how do they not fall under preemption? If the former, then where do they get the authority to restrict firearms in any way?

Sesrun

I've tried to do a little research on the community colleges in Virginia, but haven't been able to find any clear answers. Are they state-owned/operated, or are they locality owned/operated? If the latter, then how do they not fall under preemption? If the former, then where do they get the authority to restrict firearms in any way?

By the state. The State Board for Community Colleges was established by the General Assembly. This board is responsible for establishing, controlling, administering, and supervising all community colleges established by the state.

Also the GIS property information for Virginia Western Community College states that it is owned by "Commonwealth of VA State Board."

Refer to Section 2A of the Virginia Community College System's Policy Manual.

Last edited:

wylde007

They're also the ones from whom I received a boilerplate response when I was ejected from a motorcycle safety course at TCC Virginia Beach a few years back for OC.

It's all under one big hoplophobic umbrella. It needs to be addressed by the GA and the power of "public" entities at the state level prohibited from demanding citizens relinquish their rights in order to enjoy a service.

Docgmt

a safe campus

The only way to make a campus safe.

fence.jpg

Is it a prison, is it an institution of higher learning, it's both!

Docgmt

Considering the number of prisoners shanked, raped and beaten...I don't think that's all that safe either:uhoh:
Safe is what you make!

The signature for a guy on THR is " If total government control is so safe, why are prisons so dangerous?"

Campus lock down, another fatasy of the liberal "we feel" gang.