Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: CNN with Phlip Van Cleave 12/12/11

  1. #1
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,610

    CNN with Phlip Van Cleave 12/12/11

    PVC answered questions about guns on campus this morning on CNN. This problem is getting national exposure through the efforts of VCDL.

    See the segment with Phil, by clicking below:
    http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bes...leave-guns.cnn

    Put the heat on our GA now - explain responsibly to your legislators why this IS a good idea, the only logical one. The time for this is very important - start today and don't stop until this issue is law.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    623
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    PVC answered questions about guns on campus this morning on CNN. This problem is getting national exposure through the efforts of VCDL.

    See the segment with Phil, by clicking below:
    http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bes...leave-guns.cnn

    Put the heat on our GA now - explain responsibly to your legislators why this IS a good idea, the only logical one. The time for this is very important - start today and don't stop until this issue is law.
    I happened to get the email alert just before it came on, and had the chance to watch it with my wife. (I saved it to my Tivo, if we need another copy.)

    Both of us were quite taken by the heavy bias that the anchor represented. It was clear that he had his opinion, and no amount of facts or reasonable discussion would make a difference.
    Alma 43:47 - "And again, the Lord has said that: Ye shall defend your families even unto bloodshed...."
    Self defense isn't just a good idea, it's a commandment.

  3. #3
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,610
    Quote Originally Posted by grylnsmn View Post
    I happened to get the email alert just before it came on, and had the chance to watch it with my wife. (I saved it to my Tivo, if we need another copy.)

    Both of us were quite taken by the heavy bias that the anchor represented. It was clear that he had his opinion, and no amount of facts or reasonable discussion would make a difference.
    Think that in spite of the bias attitude of the commentator, the segment was good for our cause - gave much boarder exposure and the people/listeners are not drinking the Koolade so much any more, they are making much more intelligent judgements.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Felix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    186
    Wish PVC would have been a bit more enthusiastic with his Q&A responses.

    But his words were right on the money. Made our case very persuasively I thought.
    Daily carry: SIG P229 .40 S&W

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    The problem with interviews lke that one is that the person being interviewed has a vested interest in remaining polite and not calling the interviewer out as being biased or agenda-driven or flat-out stupid. For example, the questions about whether or not college students who go out binge drinking should be allowed to carry is actually asking if underage students who are illegally binge drinking also be allowed to carry. The answer to that is simple - but more importantly the fallacy of the question's premise needs to be attacked. In the same manner the suggestion that having a gun on campus would create some sort of hostile atmosphere that does not otherwise exist needs to be attacked. Young, hotheaded college students seem to get into fistfights without too much problem -- except they don't seem to be doing that in the classrooms and lecture halls when differences of opinion occur. But if guns were present blood would be flowing between the desks!

    The idiocy of those arguments needs to be pointed out. Not just saying that concealed permit holders are statistically more law-abiding than any other segment of society, but that the expressed fears of blood and bullets everywhere are sheer idiocy. For those that are afraid to upset the sensibilities of the media and the general public, I suggest they look at how the statements of Gov. Christie of NJ are being received. Nobody seems to be calling for him to be impeached, or hung from the nearest lamppost, when he says the emperor has no clothes on.

    The fools out there never bothered to get any gloves. Why are we bothering to make sure ours are tied with a pretty bow?

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  6. #6
    Regular Member Felix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    186
    Points well made Skid; however, it's a balancing act when it comes to national media interviews. Be too forceful and you'll never be called back and have the opportunity to make your case another day to a different audience. Be too placid and you lose your momentum, as well as the audience, and your message never gets seriously considered.

    I thought Phil hit the midpoint about right. He just needs to get some rest beforehand so he has some enthusiasm the next time and doesn't come across as someone who just came off an all-night college binge.
    Daily carry: SIG P229 .40 S&W

  7. #7
    Regular Member ocholsteroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Virginia, Hampton Roads, NC 9 miles away
    Posts
    1,317
    Great, but the guy is another anti-gun spin it around type.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

  8. #8
    Regular Member paramedic70002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Franklin, VA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,448
    Who was that doing the interview? Whatever his bias, or not, in today's entertainment news media, there will always be interviews like this. They've got to keep it exciting. Besides that, it's his job to challenge his guests. Kind of a point/counterpoint. Plus factor in that there was no Brady-type there to argue, scream and stomp their feet, all in all I think the guy did a great job of prompting Phil to address the point fully without shouting over him. These things have to be wrapped up fast before little Jimmy changes the channel. The interview technique is not unlike a Judge or Justice asking pointed questions to both sides of an issue during oral arguments on appeal cases.

    On another note, I just LOVE PVC but he can be a little dry in his delivery (sorry!). Nevertheless I think this was one of his best interviews. VCDL is an all volunteer organization and has no budget for a sexy spokesperson (sorry again PVC!) or hired executive talking head. FWIW I usually cringe whenever Wayne LaPierre talks because he just comes off as cheesy to me.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

    Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

  9. #9
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,610
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Who was that doing the interview? Whatever his bias, or not, in today's entertainment news media, there will always be interviews like this. They've got to keep it exciting. Besides that, it's his job to challenge his guests. Kind of a point/counterpoint. Plus factor in that there was no Brady-type there to argue, scream and stomp their feet, all in all I think the guy did a great job of prompting Phil to address the point fully without shouting over him. These things have to be wrapped up fast before little Jimmy changes the channel. The interview technique is not unlike a Judge or Justice asking pointed questions to both sides of an issue during oral arguments on appeal cases.

    On another note, I just LOVE PVC but he can be a little dry in his delivery (sorry!). Nevertheless I think this was one of his best interviews. VCDL is an all volunteer organization and has no budget for a sexy spokesperson (sorry again PVC!) or hired executive talking head. FWIW I usually cringe whenever Wayne LaPierre talks because he just comes off as cheesy to me.
    PVC's strength, IMHO, besides being extremely knowledgeable and well informed, is that he easily adopts the persona of the common man - he is the quite voice of reason - not a threatening personality, but make no doubt but that he is very effective.

    I beat drums and blow bugles. Phil says nice song and this is what it means to us - he delivers the message and people are listening.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  10. #10
    Regular Member mk4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    PVC's strength, IMHO, besides being extremely knowledgeable and well informed, is that he easily adopts the persona of the common man - he is the quite voice of reason - not a threatening personality, but make no doubt but that he is very effective.

    I beat drums and blow bugles. Phil says nice song and this is what it means to us - he delivers the message and people are listening.
    +1000

  11. #11
    Regular Member Neplusultra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Christiansburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,228
    I thought it was a great interview, pounding the point that it's already allowed in a number of schools without incident as the fearmonger interviewer was positing. Other comebacks could have been; should we not allow students in general to drive because some binge drink? Drinking is not allowed on Campuses in VA, your point in moot. You cannot legally carry while drunk in VA, you point is moot. Etc. Lots of ways to knock down the "Blood in the Streets" hysteria.


    Edit: And of course the greatest argument, which may mean little to most, it's a CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT guaranteed by the VA Constitution!!!
    Last edited by Neplusultra; 12-13-2011 at 05:15 PM.

  12. #12
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,610
    Quote Originally Posted by Neplusultra View Post
    I thought it was a great interview, pounding the point that it's already allowed in a number of schools without incident as the fearmonger interviewer was positing. Other comebacks could have been; should we not allow students in general to drive because some binge drink? Drinking is not allowed on Campuses in VA, your point in moot. You cannot legally carry while drunk in VA, you point is moot. Etc. Lots of ways to knock down the "Blood in the Streets" hysteria.


    Edit: And of course the greatest argument, which may mean little to most, it's a CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT guaranteed by the VA Constitution!!!
    Be careful with the truth. It's not in style out there, some people won't hear of it
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    416
    Quote Originally Posted by Neplusultra View Post
    I thought it was a great interview, pounding the point that it's already allowed in a number of schools without incident as the fearmonger interviewer was positing. Other comebacks could have been; should we not allow students in general to drive because some binge drink? Drinking is not allowed on Campuses in VA, your point in moot. You cannot legally carry while drunk in VA, you point is moot. Etc. Lots of ways to knock down the "Blood in the Streets" hysteria.


    Edit: And of course the greatest argument, which may mean little to most, it's a CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT guaranteed by the VA Constitution!!!
    Couldn't agree more. For a state (or other) school to strip a person of their basic right to self defense and leave them unprotected is a travesty. The Virginia GA should be ashamed for allowing this to happen especially at the state schools they should have dominion over.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,171

    Pete and Repete

    I hung around work and waited until it came on so I could see it.

    Phil answered the question from the interviewer and he just repeated the same questions about drunks.

    Perhaps he should learn the law that says you can't drink while carrying concealed. Or maybe he should have turned up his hearing aid.

    Thank you Phil for stating in a calm professional manner the facts and not saying “I already addressed that question”.

    I find it unbelievable that the Commonwealth allows the universities to require you to be a victim with no right to self defense.

  15. #15
    Regular Member Neplusultra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Christiansburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
    Couldn't agree more. For a state (or other) school to strip a person of their basic right to self defense and leave them unprotected is a travesty. The Virginia GA should be ashamed for allowing this to happen especially at the state schools they should have dominion over.
    By what mechanism can the VA state negate this VA Constitutional right? Can the state actually negate the rights it recognizes as God given rights because some unelected administrator decides to do so? Fight, or lose your obvious rights.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    634

    Although Phil looked tired...,

    he still gave a great interview, and who can blame Phil for being tired? Not me. It's been a "busy" month so far with the Campus Safety programs and the Tech ambush, not to mention all of the "usual" stuff coupled with being in the middle of the holidays, and I'll give him a well deserved pass for looking a little tired.

    Great job, President Van Cleave, and thank you for consistently representing us so well for so long!!!

    sidestreet

    Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

    we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

  17. #17
    Regular Member papa bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    mayberry, nc
    Posts
    2,258
    Philip explained in his alert that he is not an early bird, and it was very early for him. i am often amazed how he seems to be all over the state. in my opinion the interviewer did the right thing. he gave the pat objections that we hear from the anti-rights bunch, and IMHO, PVC gave good answers. he did seem to wake up more as he got more into the interview
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

    "guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

    i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •